• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Pontiac Solstice

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
Just curious. I have seen a lot of articles in the car mags about the new Pontiac Solstice, but has anyone on the BCF actually seen or driven one (Sammy B.?)? Does anyone think that GM can really compete with Mazda on a small, LBC-like sports car? Do you think it will just be a new Pontiac Fiero--a poor-quality car that could not compete with its primary competition, the Toyota MR2? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bret

Yoda
I’ve seen several Solstices on the road here in the San Diego area and they look pretty sweet. Not too sure about the front grill treatment, but overall I really like the layout. The write ups I’ve read give the Mazda a slight advantage, but for its first toe to toe it seems pretty close and will probably pull a few Miata buyers away.

Personally I feel it wouldn’t take much for the Solstice to really shine. Maybe a lightweight “R” or “Club” package like the Miata has. Also I don’t know if they’re still planning on it – but what would make the Solstice really great would be if they bolted on the supercharger they where originally talking about back when the prototype was first introduced at last years auto show circuit.

One thing I noticed is that it even looks good with the top up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
I saw one at the Auto show in Boston last week, but it was on a turntable and I couldn't go in it. The convertible top doesn't fit very well, and in all honestly the Saturn Sky had a lot better styling (although I don't know why both of then only had a single offset exhaust tip; looks very unbalanced). I'd say that it will fail, but I was not impressed with most of the cars. The door handles were flimsy and the interiors were cheesy, even in the high end makes / models. Performance and price would be the only thing to save it.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Well, they claim 170hp and 166 ft/lbs, so the possibility is there for spirited performance - I agree that the Sky has better styling.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I've seen the Sky, but haven't seen a Solstice yet in person. My reaction to the Sky, and what I've seen in the media kits of the Pontiac: Great first effort. The tops are pretty horrible in terms of the rear window design, though!

The interiors and overall quality are still extremely "GM," which means pretty low-buck. Mazda had a way of making the low-buck interior of the Miata look sporty. GM has a way of making a low-buck interior look cheap, plastic and unforgiving.

My guess is that the Sky will sell fairly well, but the Solstice sales will plummet after the first two years, and here's why: Those people who want a pure roadster will look to cars that are tight, well "engineered" and provide a degree of perceived build quality. Pontiacs tend to appeal to muscle and pony car people, who will find the Solstice is "slow," meaning it isn't a quarter-mile rocket. Their comparison will be to the Mustang.

Saturn tends to attract people more interested in style over substance, as well as those who generally see cars as an appliance. It will be interesting to see if the Sky steals sales from Mini Cooper, VW Beetle and Chrysler Sebring, all convertibles with people of those psychographics.

I would love to see what the Sky and Solstice look like in six or eight years, but I predict that they'll be dropped by then.

R6MGS

Yoda
I agree with Sammy, the Solstice doesn't really have a place, alothugh I was at a GM dealer recently and I really like the styling of it, especially the back....interior is nothing special, but it IS a relatively cheap car anyway.

Zack

Steve_S

Yoda
An MG club member brought a Solstice out to an event. I like the looks of the car but the rear end is way too high. I can't imagine trying to back that thing up!

William

Darth Vader
I've only seen one on the road (more than I've seen of new Miatas), with the top up. Really didn't care for it. Actually, I really like the shape but for two things-that god-awful front grille treatment (the BMW-alike twin kidney grilles just don't work on a rounded front end, but then again I don't like 'em on a couple of BMWs either). The other sticking point was that soft top. It looked terrible up. Too low and turret like, with those daft twin buttresses that didn't look good on the Ferrari Mondial 'vert either. In my area, at least, convertibles spend a big chunk of the year with the tops up (wintertime, y'know), so I see lots of roadsters and other convertibles top up, and most of them look bad. It's a styling fault I can level at lots of different open cars that are highly regarded otherwise-Boxster, Z3 and 4, 350Z, Corvette, 911 Cabrio, Mustang....

It's funny, our MGB looks just fine with the top up. It's got a nice, clean shape to it and it's proportionate to the rest of the car. Why can't they do that with new cars?

-William

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Well If I was to buy a modern roadster my vote right now would be a Miata.
The GM roadsters just don't do it for me. The styling is weird, and the interior is typical GM.
I would choose a Miata, RX8, BMW Z4, or Lotus (I know different class) first.
As a side note Toyota dosent make the MR2 anymore. 04 was the last year. Even working for a Toyota dealer I would take the Miata first.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
About six month ago, on the Donald Trump show ("Apprentice") they had a lottery that would allow you to buy one of the first 500 Solstices built. You would get a slight break on the retail price too.
These would come with some sort of a plaque....I guess they would be sort of a collector's item eventually.

A friend of mine called in and won one of the spots, but his wife nixed it since it was a 6 speed stick. Anyway, he offered it to me and I said no thanks.
As I see it, the Solstice seems "not quite" as good as my '00 Miata....so why bother?

The Saturn Skye looks a bit better (I've seen both).

I'd still buy a new Miata over the GM cars, even though the nose on the '05 Mazda looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

theinferno

from what ive read appearently its a solid little car, but the miatta eeks past it by a hair in terms of performance. i cant wait to see a saturn sky, though! and ive also read pontiac might be considering a v-8 for that baby!

OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen the Sky, but haven't seen a Solstice yet in person. My reaction to the Sky, and what I've seen in the media kits of the Pontiac: Great first effort. . . The interiors and overall quality are still extremely "GM," . . . GM has a way of making a low-buck interior look cheap, plastic and unforgiving.

[/ QUOTE ]Hmmmm, Sammy . . . you have an '80 TR8 and I have an '80 TR8--both with a "low-buck cheap, plastic and unforgiving interior look"! What does that say about our tastes in cars? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, though, like many other responses, I prefer the Sky's exterior to the Pontiac. I also like the more open interior of the Sky to the closed-in cockpit look of the Solstice. But I haven't owned a GM product--other than the 1958-design Buick engine in the TR8--in decades. What do you mean by the overall quality being "GM? You are a Corvette fan--do you think the build quality of either of these twin roadsters will approach that of the C6?

Bret

Yoda
Sorry, I've got some more thoughts on this.

Ok I admit its kind of weird for me (a Ford guy) to stick up for the General, but I've always been a sucker for underdogs. Anyway I’ve been reading some of the recent press on the Solstice I got’a say I don’t think we’re giving it a fair shake.

As has been pointed out the Miata certainly beats out the Solstice on almost every category - save of course “price” where the Solstice really shines. Something else to keep in mind is that the Miata (AKA MX-5) is an entirely new & seemingly well thought out re-design from the venerable Miata of old.

But regardless of what publication you want to believe the “performance” differences aren’t as far off from one another you might think. In fact if the numbers are to be believed the Mazda isn’t putting out earth shattering numbers compared to this new little roadster. In fact my October issue of Road & Track give the slalom to the Solstice edging the Miata by 0.7 secs. And in both the 0-60 & the ¼ mile times there is only a 0.4 second edge for the Mazda to boot. Perhaps it the driver or weather conditions – either way I don’t think that’s too bad for a first showing of a brand new vehicle release, that has 300 to 400 pound weight penalty.

Like I said – if you can get past the annoying bad grillwork & interior (as myself & many others have pointed out) then put the car on a diet. Pontiac just might be on to something.

Jury's out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]

It's funny, our MGB looks just fine with the top up. It's got a nice, clean shape to it and it's proportionate to the rest of the car. Why can't they do that with new cars?
-William

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad the top over hangs the winshield frame by an inch.....gotta love british aerodynamics!

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
It appears there will be a Special Edition release of the Solstice! See attached.

Attachments

• 146355-Solstice.jpg
    146355-Solstice.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 70

theinferno

ooh yea! chick magnet! i wonder if it can handle 220lbs, though, i want one for x-mas!

Bret

Yoda
That reminds me of a TV show called “Yes Dear”?

There was a rather funny episode not that long ago where the husband always wanted a sports car so he goes out and purchases a Miata. Throughout the whole show the guy keeps having everyone tell him it’s a girl’s car.

In fact there is one scene where some little girls (7 or 8years old) get all excited when they see him driving down the street & say: “Nice car mister. My Malibu Barbie has one just like it!” /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

theinferno

see what i mean? ill be a babe macine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

Steve P.

Jedi Hopeful
The other day, I had a chance to see both the Solstice
and the Saturn Sky. Frankly, I was impressed with both
of them, especially for the price ($20K and $25K).
These were both at the San Francisco auto show, and there
was a LOT of interest. We'll be seeing lots of these on
the road soon.