• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 Turning GT6+ brake drums

Hoodat

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello all,
Been lurking and learning here for a while; now a question I can't find an answer to here or elsewhere on the Web: What is the maximum diameter to which the GT6 drums can be turned? The machinist at the local NAPA shop sez he's not sure he can find the specs. I can't find any dimensions stamped on the drums.
TIA for the dimension or suggestions on where to look for it.
Chuck

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That is why we got rid of our brake lathe at the parts store, we hardly ever turned rotors and drums because the price came down so much. Throw-away society.

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We just had a sales mtg., and were informed that (commercially) nobody is making rotors in North America. The quality is there, but so are the jobs!

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hoodat said:
Hello all,
Been lurking and learning here for a while; now a question I can't find an answer to here or elsewhere on the Web: What is the maximum diameter to which the GT6 drums can be turned? The machinist at the local NAPA shop sez he's not sure he can find the specs. I can't find any dimensions stamped on the drums.
TIA for the dimension or suggestions on where to look for it.
Chuck
I will look at my drums tonight (they are in good shape) and see if there is any info to be found.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
jsfbond said:
We just had a sales mtg., and were informed that (commercially) nobody is making rotors in North America. The quality is there, but so are the jobs!

yea and most of our foundries were forced into shutting down because of our wonderful government and the EPA. no wonder companies outsource

I will leave it a that

Hondo

OP
H

Hoodat

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks, JimEgan. I'll see if that's good enough for the machinist. He was making noises about liability issues last week....
Chuck

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
hondo402000 said:
yea and most of our foundries were forced into shutting down because of our wonderful government and the EPA. no wonder companies outsource

I will leave it a that

I won't. The steel foundries had <span style="font-weight: bold">years</span> to clean up their act and install furnaces that were less polluting (and cheaper to operate). Instead <span style="font-weight: bold">they chose</span> to continue operating the old open hearth furnaces that were making such a mess of that entire area. The EPA didn't shut down the open hearth furnaces until it became obvious that the steel companies were never going to do it on their own.

I used to live in the area, I've seen the perpetually orange-brown air, the effects of acid rain on practically everything, the thick carpet of dead fish on Lake Michigan. The lake has recovered somewhat, but at one time it was thought to be permanently "dead".

It's an ill bird that fouls it's own nest; but that is exactly what they were doing.

Oh, and steel production still isn't exactly dead in the US. We produced almost 100,000,000 tons of raw steel last year. That's a little off from it's historical peak of 130 million tons, but not by much.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
TR3driver said:
I used to live in the area, I've seen the perpetually orange-brown air, the effects of acid rain on practically everything, the thick carpet of dead fish on Lake Michigan. The lake has recovered somewhat, but at one time it was thought to be permanently "dead".
I remember going through Gary Indiana in the '70s. There is a good reason it is (was?) called the armpit of America.
The last time I drove through about 10 years ago the air no longer stank or burned your eyes.