• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thump Thump Thump... when turning hard

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
When I'm driving fairly fast and turn fairly hard, lets call it "taking advantage of the handling", I hear a mild THUMP THUMP THUMP sound that is speed dependent. Its only present when turning hard. I've looked under the car and don't see anything obvious. I checked the wheel lug nuts and they are all tight. So what am I missing?

I'm pretty sure the sound is only coming from the right rear.

I have yet to jack it up and do the "grab-n-shake", but I'm pretty sure since it requires a heavy side load in order to make this sound I would likely not find anything this way anyways.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Two likely possibilities are: a failing u-joint on one of the rear axle shafts; and (believe it or not) b: a bad FRONT wheel bearing. The latter turned out to be the cause of a similar noise/situation I experienced in my Herald several years ago!

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Andrew has it. I would look at the u joints first or even the wheel bearings but most likely the u joints.

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Back when my 3B was still on the road I had that problem. It was a broken motor mount that allowed the drive shaft to move enough to hit the floor tunnel.

This happened only corners and then only if I turned to the left.

DaveatMoon

Jedi Hopeful
It could also be a belt starting to separate or break in a tire. Try rotating them and see for the sound changes places, or if putting the right rear tire on the front causes a vibration in the steering wheel..

OP
pjsmetana

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Andrew Mace said:
...a failing u-joint on one of the rear axle shafts; and (believe it or not) b: a bad FRONT wheel bearing...

rlwhitetr3b said:
... broken motor mount...

DaveatMoon said:
...belt starting to separate or break in a tire...

Checked, Checked, Checked, and Checked. While I was under it I shook all the drive line parts and the only thing that I could even move a tiny bit was the drive shaft. It made no noise at all at the rear, and only seemed to make a small amount where it mates up with the OD/tranny (I had it in 1st gear). Nothing seemed any more loose than 'brand-new' tight, as I was told it all would be by the PO.

So then, frustrated I pulled out my camera and started snapping pictures so I could look and study them while enjoying a beer in the AC.

As I started wiggling out from under my car, I hit my exhaust, and THUMP... theres that sound! I hit it again, then again, THUMP THUMP! I found the culprit! I then grabbed it with both hands and rocked it back and fourth and found that the pipe clamp was loose allowing it to rock back and fourth.

I pulled out the 1/2 inch, tightened the clamp, then hopped in for a drive. 2 hours later, I arrived at home, covered in sweat! No problems at all, and now I'm sitting down enjoying a slice of home-made pizza and bottle of Blue Moon!

P1020217.jpg

Its a good day tater!