• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

'94 XJ6 will not start!

ZBRA

Freshman Member
And for my first post.......
square.gif

I have a '94 XJ6 Vanden Plas that has decided that it no longer wants to crank. When you turn the key to the crank position it does not send a signal to the starter solenoid to engage. Obviously, the motor won't turn over.

I have tried a new starter, batter, and at the advise of the dealer, a new neutral safety switch. I have also tried a new starter relay. I am thinking that it has to be either the ignition switch or a problem with the factory starter kill/alarm system.

Anything I may have missed? How can I check these remaining parts? I don't want to tear into the column unless I have too.

To keep from having to buy all of these expensive parts, I bought another '94 XJ6 that decided to drive through the woods. I am parting it out to pay for it's self. I have a few of the parts on ebay and many more still in the car.

https://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=zbra28

Any advise on what else to look for to get this thing fixed?

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ZBRA:
And for my first post.......
square.gif

I have a '94 XJ6 Vanden Plas that has decided that it no longer wants to crank. When you turn the key to the crank position it does not send a signal to the starter solenoid to engage. Obviously, the motor won't turn over.

I have tried a new starter, batter, and at the advise of the dealer, a new neutral safety switch. I have also tried a new starter relay. I am thinking that it has to be either the ignition switch or a problem with the factory starter kill/alarm system.

Anything I may have missed? How can I check these remaining parts? I don't want to tear into the column unless I have too.

To keep from having to buy all of these expensive parts, I bought another '94 XJ6 that decided to drive through the woods. I am parting it out to pay for it's self. I have a few of the parts on ebay and many more still in the car.

https://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=zbra28

Any advise on what else to look for to get this thing fixed?
<hr></blockquote>

Seems like it might be cheaper in the long run to have a good Jag mechanic (not necessarily the dealer) troubleshoot and isolate the problem for you. Sounds like you've changed about everything there is to change. Could just be a loose connection somewhere.

Sorry I can't offer more help but you've already changed all the things I'd have thought of.
Basil

OP
Z

ZBRA

Freshman Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Basil:

Seems like it might be cheaper in the long run to have a good Jag mechanic (not necessarily the dealer) troubleshoot and isolate the problem for you. Sounds like you've changed about everything there is to change. Could just be a loose connection somewhere.

<hr></blockquote>

That's the next step...
frown.gif

I'm more of DIY guy though. Kinda goes against my grain to take it somewhere, but that doesn't mean that it's not the best thing to do.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Depending on how handy you are with a Radio Shack multi-meter and reading schematics, tracing down an electrical problem like this usually isn't too hard. But I'd only attempt it if you are familiar with using a meter to measure voltages and the Ohm meter for testing continuity. Of course being able to read the wire diagram in the manual is sort of important too
wink.gif

But a good mechanic could probably at least tell you where the problem is, then you could effect the repair yourself. Good Luck!
Basil

PS: I noticed you found the forum from that "other" forum for that "Great American car?"
Welcome aboard!
thumbsup.gif

OP
Z

ZBRA

Freshman Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Basil:

PS: I noticed you found the forum from that "other" forum for that "Great American car?"
Welcome aboard!
thumbsup.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Thanks.

savewave.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Here's some thoughts. I'm assuming that later Jag sixes use a starter mounted solenoid (and not a Bendix drive, as older Jags used...Note:those old Bendix systems will sometimes stick in the "out" position, especially with weak battery....rocking the cars back and forth in gear will usually "unstick" them).

1. Be absolutely sure engine is grounded. If in doubt, connect jumper cable from negative batttery terminal to engine block (use a clean, unpainted metal area on the engine).

2.Check to see if "big wire" going to starter has 12 volts. Should be 12 volts all the time, even with engine off. Use small volt meter (as Basil suggested)or small 12 volt bulb (ground the bulb and touch one end of a thin insulated wire to connection tip of bulb.....other end of thin wire to "big wire"....bulb should light....probably have to pull back an insulating cover where "big wire" is connected to starter).

3.Starter has second "small wire" going to it. This is the one that comes (usually indirectly) from the key switch. Should be "hot" (have 12 volts) when key is switched to "start position". If it isn't, you will have to trace back to where the 12 volt "stops"(since this is a Lucas system, it may be useful to stop and read Dante's Inferno at this point....since you are about to enter "The Eight Circle of H*ll).

4. Sometimes it is useful to have an assistant turn the key switch to "start" while tapping the starter with a small hammer (if starter has a "dead spot" it may kick in).

5. You can try turning over the engine by providing 12 volts directly to the terminal on the starter that the "small wire" connects to. Be sure car is in neutral with brakes on and wheels chocked (and an assistant applying the brakes if possible). Make sure key switch is off. For a "power source" use a long piece of 14 gauge insulated wire with other end connected to the positive side of the battery. Engine may turn over SUDDENLY when you touch "small wire" starter terminal.....be SURE you are clear of fan belts and other moveable parts! Be careful not to "short out" this "hot wire" to car....."shorting" might cause fire (near oil or gas drips) or may damage charging system. If engine turns over, you have verified that starter in OK.