• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What is a Series 1 1/2 EType ??

J

Jagdreamer

I have seen references in Hemmings to Series 1 1/2 ETypes and was wondering what the differences were between say a series 1 and a series 2? Anyone know?

JD

Matt B

Please...correct me if I'm wrong or missing anything...

The series 1.5 had the early turn signals over the bumpers like the series 1, but it had the non-covered headlights like the series 2. Series 2 had the larger turn signal/parking light setups under the bumpers.

Like most every year to year models...I expect there are other minor differences as well, but that is the obvious one...

-Matt B
53 XK120 FHC

OP
J

Jagdreamer

Originally posted by Matt B:
Please...correct me if I'm wrong or missing anything...

The series 1.5 had the early turn signals over the bumpers like the series 1, but it had the non-covered headlights like the series 2. Series 2 had the larger turn signal/parking light setups under the bumpers.

Like most every year to year models...I expect there are other minor differences as well, but that is the obvious one...

-Matt B
53 XK120 FHC

Any differences in the engine?

Matt B

No changes in the engine that I know of. If there were changes, I expect they wold be cosmetic only...although I'm not sure when they switched from triple SUs to dual strombergs. I think it was later though.

-Matt B

Doug

Freshman Member
The "Series 1.5" (not an official designation) started about half way thru the '67 model year with the deletion of the headlight covers in July '67.

I think the two-carb engines came out at the very end of the '67 model year but I can't say for sure. The '68 model year definately had the two strombergs (I'm referring the USA spec cars here).

The '68 cars also had the revised dashboard with rocker switches replacing the toggle-type, and a glove box door, and recessed door handles.

I'm sure there are many, many other smaller changes which escape my memory at the moment.

The Series 2 cars had all these changes plus the revised tail lights, front parking lamps, raised headlamps, and the addition of side marker lamps. These changes meant new bumpers and other changes. The Series 2 cars start with the '69 model year.

Hope this helps a little. I'm sure an E-type expert will chime in soon enough and give more details.

Doug

OP
J

Jagdreamer

So then Doug, it sounds as if the unofficial series 1.5 could be either 67 or 68? Or if its a 68 is it automatically a series 2?

Thanks,
JD

Doug

Freshman Member
Not exactly. An actual Series II car would be a (model year) 1969-71. It's a pretty clear-cut delineation.

A (model year) 1968 is considered a Series 1.5 *although* some of the changes that constitute a Series 1.5 were introduced during the 1967 model year.

I think, then, that a 1967 car would be considered a Series I if it had *none* of the changes. However, if it had *any* of the changes, it would be considered a Series 1.5
(Isn't there a real E-type pro out there who can bail me out ? Help !)

Technically, and for the record, Jaguar considers all pre-Series II cars to simply be Series I. The "1.5" designation was never official.

Next, of course, came the V12 cars. All V12's (and only the V12's) were Series III.

Cheers,
Doug

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Originally posted by Doug:
<snip>
(Isn't there a real E-type pro out there who can bail me out ? Help !)

Well, I own a Series I EType, but I'll not admit to being anything near an "expert". I think you have the basic differences about right Doug, but here is what Dr Thomas Haddock says in the Jaguar EType Restoration and Originality Guide:
<QUOTE> Series I1/2 cars represent a translation between the classic Series I cars, which all had basically the same exterior appearance, and the Series II cars, which were the final result of the 1968 US automotive safety and pollution control regulations. While the Series I1/2 cars might be considered a subgroup of the Series I cars, I feel they are better described as an independent model in their own right. These cars are often identified by low-set, uncovered headlights. However, some late Series I cars had the open headlights and apparently no other Series I1/2 features. The serial-number systems of the Series I1/2 cars are a continuation of those for the Series I...<END QUOTE>

I should point out that Haddock goes on to describe a bit of confusion as to exactly which serial numbers constitutes the start of the Series I1/2 and he really doesn't go into great detail about the other differences between the Series I1/2 and the other two series.

Basil

Hope this helps

------------------
basil.gif

1967 Jaguar E-Type OTS
1E13333, Silver Blue

koolkat

Greetings, as the owner of a S1.5 E Type I might be able to offer some information. Mr car, a convertible '68 was built in 2/68 and does indeed have many of the features of the S1 cars & S2 cars. Engine is the 4.2L DOHC
in line 6 cylinder. Earlier cars had a 3.8L engine. The earlier information about the driving lights being above the bumper for a S1 & S1.5 cars is correct. S2 cars starting in '69 had the driving lights below the bumpers. S1 cars all had the more powerful 3 SU HD8 carburetors and the later S2 cars had 2 Strombergs carbs. More emission equipment were on the S2 cars, remember its 1969 and those items were being dictated. Also the S1 & 1.5 cars had the "eared" knockoffs while for pedestrian safety reasons, the S2 cars had "earless" knockoffs. The transistation between S1 and S1.5 is a rather difficult time period during assembly. Some car parts ran out sooner than others and some were found and installed on later cars to keep the assembly lines running. Its always been a rather difficult subject matter to say for sure when one series of car stopped and the other series started. This topic is still a hot topic even today. Open for questions, hope I can help.
Mike Goodwin
KoolKat

OP
J

Jagdreamer

Originally posted by koolkat:
Greetings, as the owner of a S1.5 E Type I might be able to offer some information. Mr car, a convertible '68 was built in 2/68 and does indeed have many of the features of the S1 cars & S2 cars. Engine is the 4.2L DOHC
in line 6 cylinder. Earlier cars had a 3.8L engine. The earlier information about the driving lights being above the bumper for a S1 & S1.5 cars is correct. S2 cars starting in '69 had the driving lights below the bumpers. S1 cars all had the more powerful 3 SU HD8 carburetors and the later S2 cars had 2 Strombergs carbs. More emission equipment were on the S2 cars, remember its 1969 and those items were being dictated. Also the S1 & 1.5 cars had the "eared" knockoffs while for pedestrian safety reasons, the S2 cars had "earless" knockoffs. The transistation between S1 and S1.5 is a rather difficult time period during assembly. Some car parts ran out sooner than others and some were found and installed on later cars to keep the assembly lines running. Its always been a rather difficult subject matter to say for sure when one series of car stopped and the other series started. This topic is still a hot topic even today. Open for questions, hope I can help.
Mike Goodwin
KoolKat

So Mike, does yours have the three SUs but uncovered headlights? What switches does your have in the center, the small level type or the later larger toggles? Got any pics you can post?
JD

Kent

Freshman Member
Originally posted by Jagdreamer:
I have seen references in Hemmings to Series 1 1/2 ETypes and was wondering what the differences were between say a series 1 and a series 2? Anyone know?

JD
I have a 1968 Series I 1/2 E-Type Roadster. Most of the responses have been correct. It is kind of a hybrid model between Series I and Series II. The interior is Series II with rockers instead of toggles and the more modern dash. The headlights are uncovered and the knockoffs on the wheels were changed to a large, round "nut" which requires a special wrench. The turn signals are above the bumpers, like the Series I, but the 3 SU's were replaced with 2 Zenith Strombergs without any pollution control equipment. I think that about covers it!

OP
J

Jagdreamer

Originally posted by Kent:
Originally posted by Jagdreamer:

JD
I have a 1968 Series I 1/2 E-Type Roadster. Most of the responses have been correct. It is kind of a hybrid model between Series I and Series II. The interior is Series II with rockers instead of toggles and the more modern dash. The headlights are uncovered and the knockoffs on the wheels were changed to a large, round "nut" which requires a special wrench. The turn signals are above the bumpers, like the Series I, but the 3 SU's were replaced with 2 Zenith Strombergs without any pollution control equipment. I think that about covers it!

Got any pics you can post? (The faq link at the top of the main forum list page tells you how).

JD

W3AB

Freshman Member
1968 was the first smog and safety year for non-USA made cars. Jaguar needed to keep cars coming into the states so they cobbled anything and everything together to ship cars. All "Official" Ser 1.5 cars had two zenith carbs and all the "safety" related items, open headlamps, rocker swithes and such. BMC/Jaguar released a special parts supplement detailing the changes for these cars and some of the parts were very difficult to obtain from the factory. Many cars got changed due to accidents and replacement of non-original parts. Other cars were registered "funny". Some states had innovative taxing structures. You brought a 1967 into that state and it got registered as a 1968. More tax dollars, make sense? These cars have a 30+ year history and they often become "legendized" to make a "special" car.

Remember, there were only 75,000± E-Types made over 15 years. That's not many per year