• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"Bloody Mary"

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
"Bloody Mary"

OK, I just think this thing is so neat!

It's the "Bloody Mary" hillclimb car built by John and Richard Bolster in the 1920s (when they were teenagers).
The thing had two J.A. Preswich ("JAP") engines taken from Brough Superior motorcycles. Apparently, the frame was mostly built from timber.Both engines were connected by a common chain and the drive was also by chain.
Later on, they built a hillclimb car with four JAP engines, but it was not so successful.
Fantastic!
Bloody_Mary_1929_250.jpg

Brooklands_BloodyMary_0011.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Re: "Bloody Mary"

sweet - does it even have a seat? or a back?

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag

3272143260_7bd38ce499_m.jpg

One of my all-time heroine cars. The picture, take by my father's Kodak Box Brownie, is of Bolster at Prescott fettling Mary. It was his last competitive outing, August 1963. The young man on the right, hands in pockets, is yours truly.
Bolster (often just known as JVB) was a well-known motoring writer, journalist and broadcaster, who had done a fair bit of racing too. Jenks once described a run by JVB in Mary as being a brawl between man and machine, though the resulting time was usually among the fastest.
Mary sat for many years in the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, but was restored back in 2000 or thereabouts. She looks to be in fine shape!

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

Wow! Great picture, Roger.

The "pureness" and single-purpose of this car makes it really appealing (to me, at least).

You have to love the fact that Mary only had a right rear fender (to protect the driver's arm). I suppose the other three fenders would have had no purpose!

I don't know what it is about "specials" or "one-offs", but to me, they are especially appealing.
Lots ~HERE~

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag

JPSmit said:
sweet - does it even have a seat? or a back?

is the rear end on the rear end? :devilgrin:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Wonder how hard it would be to replicate her?

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag

Such a cool car, and what engineering ideas for the 1920's...

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag

There are several other multi-V-twin specials of the same genre to be seen at VSCC hillclimbs. There was even one with 4 Ariel square4 engines! Hate to be among that lot!

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag

my fav of these older ones was the chain gang Frazer Nash, the noise of them going around our local track was just fantastic