• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Houston, we have liftoff!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Erik called me late this afternoon and said he was pushing the car outside to start it and wanted to know if I could come over. So off I go and with much anticipation, it started on the first crank. (That even surprise me and I did feel the block to see if he cheated!)

So after a few slight coolant leaks at the hoses and a 20+ minute run between 2,000-2,500RPM, it's now back in the air draining the oil for the night. New oil and filter tomorrow, the usual futzing with the carb alignment, timing and idle tweaking and off we go tomorrow night.

First impressions:

1. All old clutch noise is gone and I had a new clutch assembly in there???

2. The engine is flat smooth at 750-800 RPMS. I attribute that to the complete balancing.

3. The engine revs very quickly and I mean very quickly. Just a blip of the throttle and it's a 4,000+. Now that's in neutral, so I'm a realist, but I think that I'm gonna like this cam.

These are the start up pictures of temp and oil pressure, then after warm up. A/F meter is rich with about 1/4 choke on during warm up.

All in all, happy so far. Test ride tomorrow night will tell the tale.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Air/Fuel ratio

R

RonMacPherson

Congratulations.

That is more than just FAT, that's obscenely obese. Maximum power is 12.5, anything richer than that and I would worry about washing the cylinder walls.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
One word Paul: "AWESOME!" :thumbsup:

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Ron,

Remember the choke was on between 1/4 to 1/2 and it was during warm up. Back out to 13.5 at idle, warmed up with choke off, but not run long enough to really set things up. All we did was run about 22 minutes for the cam break in.

That will all come tomorrow.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
PB,

That's the guy who did the rebuilding and billet polishing of my wiper motor two years ago. See how one thing leads to another? From a shiny wiper motor to this project!!

I can't use the carb caps. With the tri-carbs, there is not enough clearance to get the front on and the middle may be too close as well.

As for that little honey on the master cylinder, well, ya never know.......

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I have a few fans, but no bling for them.

Sorry Rich, I've gone total electric now. Just a basic black puller fan.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Stunning.
<span style="font-size: 17pt">
<span style="color: #FF0000">LET TH' TWEAKIN' COMMENCE!</span></span>

R

RonMacPherson

Good, then I won't share my concern of preliminary accelerated wear. Geeze wish I could hear it. Bet it's got one sweeeet sound.

You gonna do a you tube so you can share it with the Tinster?(and all the rest of us)

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Al,

That looks like a good kit. The key to this is getting heated wideband unit and the ability to connect to a laptop for data transfer, IF you so choose. There are many on the market now, as apposed to last year when I bought mine.

IF I was doing this over, I would have had a dash board made for an extra round gauge and bought the new (Moss?) unit that would fit right in the dash. I know that there are several of these on the market now.

I currently have an NGK and it's just fine, but as always, the newer ones are better for size, etc. Output, with the wideband AND preheated sensor (important) are the same.

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/air-fuel/index.asp