• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"HELP NEEDED" IN THE "HOUSTON, TX" AREA!!!!!!!!

toysrrus

Yoda
"HELP NEEDED" IN THE "HOUSTON, TX" AREA!!!!!!!!

Hi There Folks,

I`m seriously considering buying a TR3 project on ebay!

The car is located in the Houston area & I was hoping someone would be able to check her it out for me!

I know she`s not a matching # car but I don`t care! This would be a project for my "Golden Years" coming up very shortly (6 months and counting)!!!!!

She`s not running etc etc but appears to be relatively complete. The seller said he "Quickly" assembled her to show her all together for the sale. What that means is ??

Please let me know via a PM or feel free to email myself directly at: toysrus@ptd.net.

Much Thanx,

Russ

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Re: "HELP NEEDED" IN THE "HOUSTON, TX" AREA!!!!!!!!

toysrrus said:
She`s not running etc etc but appears to be relatively complete. The seller said he "Quickly" assembled her to show her all together for the sale. What that means is ??
Means the car is a "basket case", partly or mostly disassembled. At best, only a few bolts were put in for display purposes (or some panels may simply be laying in place). You should probably not rely on it staying assembled long enough to transport to PA. (IOW use a enclosed truck or trailer, so you can collect any pieces that fall off
grin.gif
)

The cynic in me wants to say that it was assembled because that hides some problems; but hopefully I'm mistaken. I once drove over 1000 miles to pick up a 3B based on photos that turned out to have carefully avoided problems like one of the fender mounting flanges being totally rotted away. Seller assured me there were "no rust perforations", but I could see the rear axle through the spare tire well. He never did refund my deposit, either.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda

Hi Randal,

"Thanx" for your input. I`ve had quite a few conversations with the seller via email & I know about the rust issues (At least most of them). The concern I have is exactly what your thinking; When in transport, What will fall off the car? Thats the primary reason I would like someone to take a look at her before I commit to the car & then have myself "Committed"!!

Thanx,

Russ

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda

Howdy Folks,

There`s a kind gent who lives in the Houston area thats going to take a peek at the car for me.

Thanx Very Much Roger F.

dlg

Freshman Member
Re: "HELP NEEDED" IN THE "HOUSTON, TX" AREA!!!!!!!

Hi Russ, Roger came by to inspect my "basket case" that TR 3 Driver in CA knows so much about.

It is sad that one's opinion exceeds one's intelligence. I wonder if TR 3 Driver even looked at the e bay ad before spewing and I wonder if he/she thought that maybe I was a BCF member? hum, something to think about.

None the less, I am curious about Mr. French's opinion. I expect he will tell you that the photos on e bay and the detailed description are exactly as I advertised. I really enjoyed meeting him and especially enjoyed the Lotus he came over in.

Doug

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

dlg said:
It is sad that one's opinion exceeds one's intelligence. I wonder if TR 3 Driver even looked at the e bay ad before spewing and I wonder if he/she thought that maybe I was a BCF member? hum, something to think about.
No, I didn't. Now that I have, I stand by everything I said. You admit the gauges aren't secured to the panel, what do you think will happen to them on a 1500 mile trailer ride? Pop-riveted roofing tin in the floors, painted to match? So nice of you to supply an extra piece.

Hopefully (there's that word again) you've disclosed all the tinworm, but "There is no warranty offered or implied." means there is at least something wrong that you have not disclosed. "A non-refundable, 10% down payment within 24 hours of the close of auction" only confirms the diagnosis.

And if you keep making comments like that, you won't be a member for long. Oh, that's right, you won't be a member for long anyway ...

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda

Now, Now Folks,

"Lets be nice to ea. other".

Its only a car.

Russ

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag

I saw the car, and emailed Russ. The ebay listing is, in my view, as honest a description as you could want, and I don't think there are hidden surprises in the car.
Personally, I'd put loose gauges and the like in a box in the cockpit, and try to get some plastic or similar taped around the cockpit area to keep water out, but that's about it.
Mr Gavin struck me as the kind of guy who might well do that for the buyer - we discussed it somewhat, the guy's clearly a car enthusiast, so I'd say there's a pretty good chance. Just read his few other posts in the forum to get an idea of the man.

As for things falling off in transit - not likely.

Who offers a warranty on a non-running project car? TR3driver, you're out of linein my view.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda

Hi Roger,

Well Sir; The TR3 sold for $6600.00. It was at $5900 with just about 3 seconds to go & "BAM".

It was more than I wanted to spend especially with the carrier fees.

Oh Well; They`ll be more as winter comes upon us.

Again; "Thanx" for taking a look at her for me.

Regards,

Russ

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag

Well, I reckon someone got a good buy.
And you're right - there's one on ebaY right now.....good luck!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

Wow, certainly worth the opening bid. Complete dash with all six intact gauges? Possibly both LH fenders? two doors? likely much of the running gear (save for the engine)? Years ago, I had this car's identical twin (same color and about the same state of [in]completeness and overall condition); made me a few bucks over time! :smile:

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda

I guess a bucket loader is a "Cheap" way to get it transported.

TR2, TR3, TR What?? Tough to tell in the marvelous condition its in.

It`ll be int. to see how many Thousands he`ll get for her.

And I thought the Brown one was nice but this one wins hands down!

Russ

gardener

Hello Russ,

Take it easy,sometimes it takes longer than you imagine, but it worth go to www.craigslist.org check in Texas area and then the near states and good luck. I found mine there.
tr6smalll.jpg

TheSearcherMan

Jedi Trainee

Well, it's refreshing to see a "misunderstanding" in here that I am not involved with. Thanks to you all.........