• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Spitfire help

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Just a little introduction...I had the TR3, 4A and 6 and loved them all (in the 60s and 70s) and would like to take a look at a Spitfire. Any suggestions on years, what to look for, avoid, etc. would be great! I want something I can drive and restore, but mainly drive. I'm looking at MGBs, Bugeyes, Spridgets, etc. so I'm open to anything. I live in Alabama and yes, I do have a trailor! Thanks for you advice and your opinions! Rut

G

Rut said:
I live in Alabama and yes, I do have a trailor!

I guess if you were to say that you lived in Louisiana and had a trailer, it would be a FEMA trailer!

That aside, cannot recommend which Spit to look for as I own a TR6 but am sure that the forum Spit-nuts will chime in soon.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Looks like I need to clarify again...a car hauler. I wish FEMA would supply those! Thanks, Rut

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

If you want a *MGB* good reliable British *MGB* sportscar, something stout *MGB* enuff to trust out on *MGB* the highway and easily *MGB* fixed on the rare *MGB* occasion that it stops *MGB* running, ferget the Spit and *MGB* hunt up a well *MGB* maintained MGB.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not so subtle, huh guys?

I'll suit up in th' Nomex now. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

V

vagt6

Hello Rut and welcome to the fray! Please don't listen to those MG guys, they are woefully biased and their Triumph advice tends to be somewhat, umm, flawed (with the <u>possible</u> exception of Doc, above /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazyeyes.gif).

The answer to your question essentially depends on two key points: 1) your budget; 2) your mechanical skill/ability.

Number 1, BUDGET: Unless you're a professional auto body technician, purchase a car that has little or no rust. Rust is our enemy because it's relatively difficult and expensive to restore.

And, purchase a car with decent paint job. A car with good paint is a real money-saver.

Number 2, mechanical skill: These cars are surprising easy to maintain and restore, with lots of aftermarket support. However, if you don't posess the skill to work work on the car you'll probably have to pay someone else to do it. This can get expensive and cause you to be "upside down", financially, with the car (i.e., your cost to restore exceeds the retail value of the car). Not an optimal position.

Finally, the essence of my rhetorical outburst: be extremely patient in your search, then purchase the best possible example of the car that your budget will allow.

In some cases, it may be prudent to stretch your budget if necessary, for a really good example. The general idea is to purchase a car in which some other poor soul has "invested" way too much and is forced to sell at a loss (sad, but true /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cryin.gif). Such cars are out there and waiting for the patient, informed buyer.

Restoring these cars is a wonderful experience, but I think driving them is better! If you can buy a driveable example, you'll be able to restore AND drive, the best of both worlds.

Please let us know how it goes, and good luck!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
I have owned my Spitfire for 25 years. It's in my shop for it's second paint job and proper weld repair of the rusty stuff.

There are very few cars that are as mechanically simple and easy to work on. Even the oil can be changed without getting under the car.

These cars are somewhat fussy but they'll run all day if you pay attention to them a little bit. Make sure all the electrical connections are clean, I grease mine. If it doesn't have the aftermarket electronic ignition watch for wear in the distributor. Watch for rust in the front lower sills. There's precious little strength holding the doors and windshield up and any rust in the area of the front frame/body mounts and inside and outside lower sills cause the doors and windshield to sag. Rust anywhere else is not as critical. Watch that the floor pans aren't rusting from the inside out. Upholstery, especially the seats, will consume inordinate amounts of your restoration budget. The floor pans are so narrow and oddly shaped that there is an extremely limited selection of anything else that will fit. Watch for degraded seat foams, can you feel the seat frame in your back?

It's amazing just how much of the parts for this car are available. and once people know you have one, more parts will mysteriously appear in your driveway, sometimes whole cars.

Having said all that, there are situations, sunny cool spring or fall afternoon, the right road, the right passenger,........

Steve

1971 Spitfire MKIV "Jehu"

Where are all the flashbacks they promised me?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DrEntropy said:

If you want a *MGB* good reliable British *MGB* sportscar, something stout *MGB* enuff to trust out on *MGB* the highway and easily *MGB* fixed on the rare *MGB* occasion that it stops *MGB* running, ferget the Spit and *MGB* hunt up a well *MGB* maintained MGB.

Don't hold back, Bro - tell us how you REALLY feel! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks everyone...any years that are problematic above the usual stuff? The more I investigate LBCs, the more I find certain ones are more prone to rust. My skills are in the 101 catagory with bodywork being below that and I want something that I can drive while I do the restoration work. I've always heard about handling 'issues' of early spits...any truth to that? Thanks, Rut

Basil

Administrator
Boss
DrEntropy said:

Go to your room.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Rut said:
Thanks everyone...any years that are problematic above the usual stuff? The more I investigate LBCs, the more I find certain ones are more prone to rust. My skills are in the 101 catagory with bodywork being below that and I want something that I can drive while I do the restoration work. I've always heard about handling 'issues' of early spits...any truth to that? Thanks, Rut

I have a 78 and I love it. I'm currently going through the motor due to a persistent oil leak (I think the main bearings may be shot). Mine has the optional overdrive which make highway driving much nicer, so getting one with a functional O/D would be a consideration if you do much highway driving. There are lots of things I like about the later models, but the large rubber bumper over-riders is one thing I don’t care for.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Rut said:
Thanks everyone...any years that are problematic above the usual stuff? The more I investigate LBCs, the more I find certain ones are more prone to rust.
Bodily, all Spitfires are basically the same, and all years seemed to rust about the same way. As noted, the sills (rockers) are critical as they are very much structural. (The car does have a separate 'backbone' chassis, but the body is considered by some a 'semi-monocoque' design.) The "Federal" cars from 1974 on have rear chassis extensions that themselves are prone to rusting and also causing rust in the main chassis rails forward of the extensions.

Beyond that, no one year or model is necessarily "best"; rather, it's what you prefer. Many true devotees feel that the early Mk3 is the best, as it was arguably the quickest and most powerful. Later cars had -- to some -- smoother and better looks and better interior appointments...and handling. The earliest cars have a wonderfully appealing basic charm in their simplicity and starkness. So the choice is up to you (depending on what's available, of course).
Rut said:
I've always heard about handling 'issues' of early spits...any truth to that?
Yes...and no. Under certain conditions, the swing axles can cause a very sudden oversteer condition. It's something that 98% of Spitfire drivers will never encounter, and the other 2% might see it on rare occasions. (Boy, talk about putting on the Nomex: I'm sure I'll hear back on this one!) But it's easily addressable in any number of ways. The "problem" was largely solved on the 1971 and later cars by the factory.

As suggested above, buy the best car you can afford, whether or not you're mechanically inclined. And whether you are or not, buy a workshop manual or two so you can be familiar with the car, even if you don't know a rack and pinion from a rack of lamb. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
I've had my 78 for a little over a year and put 14000 miles on it. I love it. The big bumpers are ugly but pre 79 they can be improved. The 1500 is a nice, torquey, street engine but not well suited for racing. It was the longest produced model Triumph made and there are lots of them out there so a good one can be had pretty cheap. I've heard that the earlier ones are a little squirrelly but as Andy said it's addressable. The 78 corners like it's on rails. They aren't real high value (monetarily) but that could change. Parts are readily available, and you can get a lot of expert advice here.

Dennis

Jedi Hopeful
Have to agree with what everyone else say's, except for Doc that is but he does have his moments. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Mine is a 74, I've had it for close to 20 years now. I love the way it handles but it is a bit tight as I"m about 6'3", the GT6 is even tighter but worth it. Very easy to work on and maintain. Some day I'll find a TR-6 with my name on it.
Dennis

IanF

Jedi Trainee
DrEntropy said:

Agreed. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

I drove a friend's MGB after we got the Spitfire... I wish I would have driven one before... otherwise I would have fought tooth & nail for an MGB... Functionally, it's simply a much better car, IMHO. Although I grant the Spitfire looks better.

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Although I grant the Spitfire looks better.[/QUOTE] Looks better, runs better, handles better, easier to work on, smells better, prevents tooth decay, leaves prettier oil stains on your driveway.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
I have driven a friends MGB. Granted a heavier car, but I hate the driving position, with the steering wheel in my chest.

the proper car to compare the Spitfire to would be the Spridget, not the B. The b would be closer to the TR6.

Steve
71 MKIV

Rotation, plus excitation, combine to produce electricity.

IanF

Jedi Trainee
eejay56 said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Although I grant the Spitfire looks better.
Looks better, runs better, handles better, easier to work on, smells better, prevents tooth decay, leaves prettier oil stains on your driveway. [/QUOTE]

Oh I don't know about that... Maybe after we rebuild the engine and dump most of the PRI catalog into the car my opinion will change, but right now I drive that car when I have to, not because I want to.

I now know regret and thy name is "Spitfire."

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Oh I don't know about that... Maybe after we rebuild the engine and dump most of the PRI catalog into the car my opinion will change, but right now I drive that car when I have to, not because I want to.

I now know regret and thy name is "Spitfire."
[/QUOTE]

Ignore him. He's just whiney and bitter because he suggested we change out the Spitfire's wiring harness last year and he's still not done with it.

I LOVE my Spit. I love the look. I love the sound. I LOVE the handling. I love the smell. The Spit is just far more appealing (to me at least) than an MGB. When I decided to get an older convertible, I was hooked as soon as Ian suggested "Spitfire". Had he said "MGB", I would have said, "nah", and probably would have ended up with an older E30 convertible (and he'd be complaining about that as well, but on a different forum).

To get this back on topic... Rut, when I started looking for my car, I decided to look for a later model, figuring that the performance/reliability "might" be a bit better than an older car. I can't speak for the older cars, as I've never driven one, but the first time I drove my Spit back to back with my new MINI, I got out of the Spit, hopped in the MINI, and thought, "Geez, this thing feels like a truck." I love my MINI and it's my daily driver, but after driving the Spit, the MINI's wonderful steering actually felt a bit vague in comparison.

Did I mention that I love my Spit? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Good luck with your search.