Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Junkyard Find - Vanden Plas Princess

General discusssion about other British cars that don't have their own forum (yet).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Junkyard Find - Vanden Plas Princess

Quote Originally Posted by piman
    Hello Ron,

it is a Van Den Plas, but I think the Princess model was the front wheel drive 1100\13300 model?

Alec
    The Princess name was used on various cars over the years.

What's the 13300 model [img]/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img] - must go like stink - I want one!
    Brighton UK. 1951 Healey Tickford Convertible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are talking the difference between an Austin Cambridge (B series) and an Austin Westminster (C series). Nothing is going to be interchangeable except by luck.

Bill
    (an old Wolseley 6/99 owner)
    Current clutter: 1957 MGA-Jamaican, 1958 MGA Twincam (race car), 1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe, 1971 Jensen Interceptor
    2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe, 2007 BMW Z4M coupe Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV-8, 1969 MGC roadster, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the car you see is a 3litre automatic, then the diff is a very worthwhile thimg to have. Its the same ratio as a non overdrive Healey, and fitted to an overdrive healey, gives you nicer cruising revs. ( How do I Know ? )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The car is an automatic, but with a Nissan engine, it is hard to tell what was originally in there.

Hmm, I wonder if pulling the axle might be a good idea. Na, too much work getting under that thing.
    Ron

65 MGB

...Semper Fidelis...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by healeyneil
    If the car you see is a 3litre automatic, then the diff is a very worthwhile thimg to have. Its the same ratio as a non overdrive Healey, and fitted to an overdrive healey, gives you nicer cruising revs. ( How do I Know ? )
    Whatever it may be, it won't be a 3 litre as they never made a version with that engine.
    The VDP Princess used a 4 litre Rolls engine.
    Current clutter: 1957 MGA-Jamaican, 1958 MGA Twincam (race car), 1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe, 1971 Jensen Interceptor
    2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe, 2007 BMW Z4M coupe Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV-8, 1969 MGC roadster, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There certainly was a version of the westmister 3litre with different sheet mertal work at the front. Also Vanden Plas made a coacbuilt hearse with the 3 litre engine, which said "Princess" on its Alloy rocker cover( I had one very briefly)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, ya learn something new every day! Guess there's no reason for me to thnk about pulling that big old Austin I recently found out of the junkyard!
    <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="color: #006600"> Tony &quot;theAutoist&quot; Barnhill</span></span></span></span></span>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by healeyneil
    There certainly was a version of the westmister 3litre with different sheet mertal work at the front. Also Vanden Plas made a coacbuilt hearse with the 3 litre engine, which said "Princess" on its Alloy rocker cover( I had one very briefly)
    Yes, you are quite right - I had forgotten the 3 litre in the late 50s before they went 4 litre.