• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jute inslation

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I've got the gas tank out of the boot of my Lotus and now need to replace the jute insulation that was under it. Apart from a bit of rodent damage, the stuff seems to have been in fairly good condition after the almost 50 years before I tore it off. In the gas tank bay, which is essentially an inaccessible compartment, that jute is essentially uncovered where the jute is covered by carpet in other areas so I'm considering a separate treatment for the tank area. I know there are more modern alternatives but I don't particularly like the baked potato look of the foil backed stuff. (Somebody put it all over the transmission cover on my Herald and it took an afternoon of peeling to get the cover off which did little counter my prejudice.)
Any suggestions?
Tom

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

dklawson

Yoda
Carpet underlayment/pad. It is inexpensive, sourced from the home center, available in different thicknesses/weights, and most will not absorb water.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks to both. The carpet insulation seems a good option but I think I'll go with Tom's suggestion simply because it has the word "jute" in the description. And the tank area was not covered with carpet so I think I'll use neoprene foam there, since it's seems a bit tidier and invisible when all assembled.
Tom