• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Calif. smog questions

BobS76

My son just inherited my 79 MGB. It now resides in San Diego, having previously lived in other locations that do not require smog checks. Needless to say, there are some factory parts that are no longer with the car. So I have a couple of questions.

When Calif. checks the emissions, are they only concerned about what actually comes out of the exhaust, or do they inventory ALL the anti-smog devices that should be on the car? Will they do this when the title is trandferred and the car is registered? Will heve to register the car when the title is transferred or can he delay registration till later, not driving the car in the meantime?

Can anyone suggest the name of a good MG mechanic in the San Diego area, specifically Poway?

I will appreciate any advice.

Bob

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
There is a visual check done before testing. ALL factory equiptment needs to be present and in working order.
You may transfer ownership without a smog check, but you will not be allowed to register the vehicle without one. Would suggest that you do the transfer, pay the taxes then sort the smog.
Once all equipment is working, take the vehicle to a test only station before going for the real test.
Do not know of anyone in Poway.
Good luck!

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Sorry. The DMV is crap in this state...all they want is your money and to top it all off, that do not really want your old car registered to begin with!
Another thing, you will not need insurance to transfer ownership. This will save you money for not paying for it whilst sorting the smog.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I suggest doing a complete inventory of what is missing before spending any money on it just to smog it, could get expensive !

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, I figured that this would be the best we could hope for.
Bob

while it could be an urban myth I have heard of clubs that keep an engine just for the test. swap in swap out.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I really don't mean to be as cynical as this sounds, but maybe the best thing to do is to sell the car to someone in Arizona or someplace else where the lack of emissions equipment is OK. Unless it's unusually nice, a 1979 MGB is not worth much, and if someone has mucked around with the emissions equipment, it might be difficult and not cost-effective to make it work acceptably. Are you sure that more hasn't been done to the engine--is it an original engine, has a hot cam been installed, the compression increased, or the advance modified? The emissions systems of that time didn't work all that well, and they sucked a lot of life out of the car. Then, if the engine is wrong or its internals have been changed, you might never get it right. It might be best to off-load the car and put the money toward a 1975 or earlier car that won't have these problems.

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
while it could be an urban myth I have heard of clubs that keep an engine just for the test. swap in swap out.

Haven't heard that one, but a number of owners in CA keep the original setup (air pump, ZS carb, etc.) and install it for inspection....then remove and store it until the next inspection.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Or just have a pal with a stock 79 MGB follow you to the smog station and maybe have them park so close to your car that the inspector sticks the probe in their exhaust instead of yours , you know by mistake .

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I remember back in the late 80s having just bought a nice 72 TR6 in Long Beach and having to disconnect the vacuum advance ( leaving the retard connected) and lowering the jet needles in the carbs so it would pass the smog test. It would barely move under its own power but did its part to clean up the air ! That is until I made it to the alley in back of the garage to put things right.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Paul is a top man. Eric or Las will do the work. Bly prob is that Paul can not do the smog. If you need second hand bits, please mail me.

MGYoungn

Freshman Member
So I'm the son in question. Reviving this old post as I've done a little research and am starting to understand what needs to happen.

The biggest question I'm facing right now is whether or not I can get the car successfully smoged with the existing webber carb, or if I need to purchase and install a ZS carb as that was the original equipment. I guess I'm struggling to figure out how the inspecting mechanic could even know what the original equipment was in every old car on the road. I know you can hook up the emissions system to the webber. I guess time would tell if it will be as efficient (from an emissions control standpoint) as the original equipment.

Once I have that answer I can really bound the work that needs to be done and start in on it. Any help understanding the laws (and just how far I can bend them) in this crazy place is greatly appreciated.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
The mechanics will have a list of equipment that was mandatory for all cars, in the year your car was built. Your MG is no different though the pieces will look a bit different it will be easy to see if they are missing. Catalytic convertor will be at the top of the list.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Paul and his shop is very good but Harlof in La Mesa can do the smog for you and they are also very good and can also probably find you the pieces you need (probably through the San Diego MG Club)
https://www.harloffauto.com/
BillM

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Go to Craigslist northern Michigan and search for MG parts. There is a guy in my area that has the manifold ,catalytic convertor and carb for sale. The parts are pretty cheap considering most of them were thrown away around here but you'll need them .

MGYoungn

Freshman Member
Well dang. Looks like a new manifold / carb / air cleaner is indeed in my future as well as all the other good stuff.

Appreciate the info as always, and also another good mechanic in the area, BillM. It would be nice to have a dedicated British shop do the smog so when (I mean if, yeah, meant if) it doesn't pass the first time they can help me figure out what is left to do.

This is going to be a good bit of work, but hey, what better way to get to know my new (sort of) car better?! Right? Right guys? :rolleye:

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Absolutely ! As an owner of three MGs ( a TC an MGA and a 69 MGB) I appreciate your enthusiasm for the car enough to use it properly. I'll bet there is still plenty of later cars not being used out there because of the smog issue. Its too bad , an MGB can be kept running on the cheep and make for a great car.