• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Z Max

kmcormick9

im pushing a 1500 midget, and my (british car only) mechanic claims that it will ruin the engine to put any kind of oil additives in. I doubt this will be different for an older engine, but check with a reputable mechanic who knows brit cars b4 doing anything rash

A

aerog

That's opening up all kinds of room for firey debate
smile.gif

Before ZMAX was brought to the automotive world the same company that makes it came out with "Avblend", an oil-additive certified for use with certified aircraft engines (which is kind of substantial in that it had to be approved by the FAA). From what I understand AVBLEND and ZMAX are similar products (AVBLEND smells like ether, not sure about ZMAX). Avblend is for aviation use, ZMAX is for automotive use.

I know people who use AVBLEND all the time in their engines (it's very common), and some who wouldn't use it on a bet. There are FBOs that rent and maintain aircraft that swear their engines look like new inside after religously using AVBLEND. They claim their valve/ring problems dropped to nill once they started using the product.

A friend of mine put a new engine on his airplane a couple of years ago and decided to use AVBLEND on every oil change. After 3 years and about 1400 hours later he hasn't had to replace any cylinders on the engine, and it's been absolutely trouble free. Who knows if that is directly contibutable to the AVBLEND of course, but it certainly hasn't ruined the engine.

To be sure aviation oils and automotive oils are markedly different and a lot of the "build up" issues are drastically different between the two. Nevertheless quite a lot of mechanics swear that AVBLEND reduces wear and carbon buildup on valve parts and rings - over and above just regular oil changes at every 25 or 50 hours (it isn't an occasional use item, you replenish the additive every or every-other oil change at a minimum).

I doubt seriously that ZMAX would have any significant negative effects on your engine, but whether it has the same positive effects people claim to have seen with AVBLEND remains to be seen.

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: aerog ]</p>

kmcormick9

avblend is designed for use with avaition engines. by no means should an aircraft piston engine be confused with a car engine. first off, most are aircooled (this really shouldnt separate it from a car engine except by operating temperatures). because it operates at higher temperatures, it must use at least 100 octane low lead fuel (100LL). it also runs at a signifigantly lower speed (2500 rpm redline) and compression. these engines displace 360 cubic inches and turn 160 hp at the flywheel.

the bottom line here is DO NOT put avblend in a car

A

aerog

Sorry, I wasn't very clear about that - I never meant to suggest in the least that you should use avblend in an automobile engine. ZMAX is for automotive use, AVBLEND is for aviation use but the two products are made by the same people for the same purpose and are supposedly very similar products (if not the same).

As for the fuel and other details, some of the members here are running lower octane unleaded automotive fuels in their aircraft engines as a rule (legally). Many of which were designed for 80-octane aviation fuel which is no longer readily available. We've also been running AVBLEND locally in everything from 65hp aircraft engines all the way up to 720cu-in 400hp engines.

Not sure what bearing it has on the ZMAX/AVBLEND but we normally see Cylinder-head-temps of around 315° on our TSIO540 (300hp) engines, wish I had a CHT gauge in my MG to compare.

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: aerog ]</p>

kmcormick9

you must be in a sweet plane. the ones i fly have a lycoming IO230 (i think) pulling me along at 110 hp. it doesnt even have a cht gauge.
the big question here should be what engine is the zmax going in? if its a leyland engine, definitely no.

A

aerog

110hp, sounds like a Lycoming O-235 maybe. I don't think they made an injected engine in that displacement.

Until late last year I was working in a Cessna 310 w/TSIO520s, a Piper Navajo with TSIO540s. Now running a single Cessna 310 with IO470 engines. For fun I've got my own 1985 Cessna 152.

In any event, I'm not sure any engine would suffer any ill-effects from ZMAX but it remains to be seen whether there are any real benefits (sorry for the ramble)
smile.gif