• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 max horsepower from a TR6?

jackag91

Jedi Warrior
I was just wondering what the max hp you could get from a TR6 engine is?

I mean assuming money was no object, including a supercharger, cams, carbs/PI, etc?

Alternatively, what are the biggest bangs for the buck?

G

It sort of depends how long you want it to last.

I reckon if you stuffed the bores with TNT you could get several thousand hp, but not for very long...

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
There was a good article in a recent Classic Motorsports about power tuning a TR6. Check me on this guys, but I think they suggested around 150 at the rear wheel was about the limit with any degree of durability.

You could spend a lot of $$$ here....

MadMarx

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The UK racing TR 6 do have up to 260-270 HP.

D

DougF

In the latest Kas Kasner book, he cites a company in England that is building "street" engines that are putting 180hp at the rear wheels. I'm sure that durability is not a factor for this level build.

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
I've often thought with a turbo/blower setup (no NOS)it was around 100Hp per liter.

Being a mile high here, the cars with the turbos really come into their own. The rest of us with NA engines have to deal with the 20% altitude impact.

FYI - my neighbor had put a 100Hp NOS setup on his spitfire before they blew the engine up. Guess it lasted about a week - and he claimed it was a hoot to drive along the way.

G

Streetable 150hp TR6 will cost you about 5K over the cost of a stock engine (stock engine will cost you 4.5K) = 10thou.

G

I know exactly how you know.
I'm pretty sure it gets exponential after that too...

T

Tinster

Hey Bill,
Does that $4.5k stock engine come with carbs,
dizzy, manifolds, head, fuel pump, water pump,
etc?

If so, I could have saved a bloody forture
by simply purchasing a new engine.

d

OP
J

jackag91

Jedi Warrior
Interesting....the plan right now is to get the rear end finished so I can use the car this summer. I plan on taking the seats in to get them recovered while I am on a few business trips.

Drive it for the rest of the summer and them pull it apart in the winter and replace the floor boards and the rockers.

Maybe spend sometime trying to figure out the megasquirt thing.

G

TRF lists a long block completely rebuilt to spec for a little over 4K, and I think that includes most everything you need.
A quality rebuild from someone who does these for a living exclusively should be in that price range. Of course they will want a usable core to swap.

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
hard to believe a tr6 engine is worth $5k. give me a break...it ain't a NASCAR engine folks....

I sold my old TR engine WITH the transmission for $430 last year. It had 55k miles.

addendum: I had it listed here for some time - no nibbles.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If you get another one at that price let me know

swift6

Yoda
jeff3113 said:
hard to believe a tr6 engine is worth $5k. give me a break...it ain't a NASCAR engine folks....

I sold my old TR engine WITH the transmission for $430 last year. It had 55k miles.

With only 55k miles, that engine still had another good 100,000 miles in it if it were cared for. They were built to easily last 150k miles before needing a rebuild if they were properly maintained. When I pulled my stock engine out in order to put my performnce engine in, it was pushing 16ok miles and only occasionally smoked on start up.

The engines are not 'worth' 4.5-5K, thats what your paying for someones time/labor to rebuild one. Including parts and machining costs.

The "How to Improve your Triumph TR5/250/6" book details some of those all out race engines in the UK. The price tags on those engines are close to 20K.

I totally get you on the altitude thing. All of my playground roads go UP in altitude from the 5,013 feet altitude of my garage. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
if you are going turbo or super charger then the limits become materials and components. as in what will be the first thing to break. when getting up in the hp (300)then you will be looking at billet crankshaft,carrillo rods, forged pistons etc. the clutch will need to be especially strong. then the gearbox must be replaced with something much stronger. driveshaft & u-joints will twist like spagetti, diff won't take it or drive axles etc,etc. probably the block will break. frame will twist, brake will need replacing with racing stuff.

You get the picture. if you really want to go there properly ande reliably with a turbo, the figure closer to 50K plus.

(a nice 93 toyota supra twin turbo drive train,brakes etc might be adapted for a lot less money, 320hp)

rob