• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

would you believe...

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OK, so it became just about impossible to re-title a 1958 Mississippi flood victum in Texas. And I found out (thanks to many of the BCF members) that the TR3 tub could not have been built in 1958, as the car was represented. And the hertigae certificate showed that the VIN plate had already been changed as evidensed by the different colour behind it and the missing "O" suffix.

I now have a clean title for a 1959 TR3 TS44025L, which hasn't been registered since 1967 -so it appears my car is again a member of the under 50 club. It appears this car has been titled under at least two different VINs already, and is the most un-original car I've ever owned. Do you think that VIN number will be OK on this car?

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
It's unusual, but not unheard of for the RHD cutout and blanking plate to be missing on a 1959 model. Mulliners who made the bodywork, are thought to have occasionally produced runs of LHD ordered cars, and saved costs and tooling wear by not bothering to punch out for RHD.

From January 1959 ashtrays were fitted as standard, as was the changeover to the blue and white apron badge, and the split steering column. TS44025L would be of around February 1959.

A 1959 body wouldn't have holes in the scuttle with captive nuts for aeroscreens, as these were recorded as deleted in April 1958.

That's about it. Rebuild and enjoy.

Regards,

Viv.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds fine.

As I mentioned before, TS47905L (built 4/15/59) also lacks the blanking plate for the RHD firewall hole -- so that is a credible commission number on that score.

As noted, a blue & white apron badge is typical -- though somewhere in the first half of 1959 they experimented with a black, blue & white badge (TS47905 has one).

TRF stills lists them (p/n CNP141) but acknowledges that the "exact application unkown".

PeterK

Yoda
My 58 was built 9 April 1958. It still has the aeroscreen holes on the dash (and of course also has the blanking plate.)

It also wears a blue, white, & black apron badge which I assume is incorrect, probably swapped with an apron change somewhere during it's earlier life.

If anyone has a red & black badge without the Triumph lettering, I would entertain a swap for one in the same condition. Mine is near mint, no pitting on the chrome, no scratches or missing color.

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Where exactly are the holes for the aero-screen on the dash?

The blue/white badge is my only dissapointment in changing from 58 to 59. I gave away the decent blue/white one I had and really like the looks of the red/black one I got off ebay for $31.00 with shipping. It had both studs broken off the back. I made a frame for some small studs out of some metal lying around, and used silicon-II to secure the frame to the back side. It's a little heavier, but looks great. I don't mind the red/black badge included in the long list of non-original parts -but I'd like to see what a blue/white/black one looks like.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
TexasKnucklehead said:
...but I'd like to see what a blue/white/black one looks like.

TR3A%20Badge.JPG

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi TK one thing you might want to check is the vin number on the trans and diff. They might give you some piece of mind about the age of the vehicle. The one on the trans is on the side on this little ledge and the diff one is right on top of the pumpkin. Most of the tr3 I have owned have had matching numbers.
Steve

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Another piece of evidence would be the date codes on things like the Lucas windscreen wiper motor. Look on the lid of the gearbox. There should be a date code, something like 11 59, which I understand is the 11th week of 1959. Same thing for the solenoid, also Lucas. Mine says 8 59 LUCAS ST-50. If these components are the originals they should provide a clue.

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The windscreen wiper motor was missing from the car when I got it. The solenoid is so rusted that I can find no markings -it also appears larger than the used Lucas one I picked up off ebay marked 2 62. Trans and engine seem to match each other (TS50903E and TS50935). The coil is marked 9 90. The steering cam (split column) is marked 10 58 -it's the only part I can be nearly sure is from the 1958 Vin. The diff is TS49763.

I have no holes or signs of there ever being any for the aero screen. I do have wiper holes and washer holes.

Each time I bring up questioning the dating of my car, I get more clues. I've known for some time that my restoration is to create a driver from a pile of parts, but I have become increasingly interested in the subtle differences in each of the years.

I'm going to post another question regarding the apron badge colors.

Thanks
Jer