• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just ordered me a new Jeep, there is a logic to it [though none believe me]

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So after 2 years of Kia Forte ownership I've just made a deal to trade it in and and get a new Jeep Wrangler (2-door) for my daily driver. Lots of fairly obvious reasons why this is not a brilliant idea, especially considering that we already have a 2-door Jeep Wrangler in the family -- my wife's. That one is rarely driven as we generally drive our short commute together in my car. Her Jeep is a fun second vehicle with the benefit of 4x4 for nasty snow and some camping trips. Perfect, right?

But not for me. Just follow my logic:

(1) I'm tired of a boring daily driver and (2) automatic transmissions are the soul-sucking fun-sapping spawn of Satan and (3) the Kia has an automatic because (4) Jenny both can't and won't drive a manual therefore (5) if I have a car with a manual I can't trade off with her so I can go camping/desert exploring so (6) if I want a manual I need a 4x4 and (7) the Jeep has a lot of soul and is fun to drive in its own way other than the auto so (8) I just ordered myself a manual transmission Jeep. Got all that? :crazy:

The older I get the more I understand that I'm quite unwilling to compromise around things I am passionate about. Musical instruments, camping/hiking gear, vehicles. The tools for my passions. It's why I sold the MGB in favor of a RHD Bugeye, why I bought the Moto Guzzi, why I have a small but carefully chosen set of instruments, and why I'm buying the Jeep.

Now I just have to wait 6-8 weeks for it to arrive.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So, are you trying to convince us or yourself? :jester:

Congrats, and thanks for contributing to the economy!
Mickey

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So, are you trying to convince us or yourself? :jester:

Congrats, and thanks for contributing to the economy!
Mickey

I'm already quite convinced, and happy to do my part for the betterment of the economy. Just got our tax bill so we're doing double duty this month. :grin:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Good move from a KIA to a Fiat!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Drew, I can't fault your logic. I also can't argue with a man with such good taste as to buy a goose. My dad owned two Moto Guzzis when I was young, a '73 850 Eldorado, and a '70 750 Ambassador. I learned to ride a bike on the Eldo, the Ambassador was long gone by the time I was old enough to learn.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The Guzzi is a great bike, simple and looks just right. Eagerly waiting for warm weather to return so I can get it back out and get riding again.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Jeeps are fun, and the only way to truly enjoy them is with a stick. My wife is like yours, she cannot and will not drive a stick. Apparently she tried once when she was 16 with her friend's VW and ended up in the middle of her front yard with it. She has adamantly refused to try it since. However, I was finally able to convince her to ride a bike with gears. I built a 1 x 8 specifically for her.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Drew, I'm sorry,but I don't understand the logic of buying a new vehicle.The numbers just don't add up,plus having to wait weeks for a depreciatingvehicle. When we replaced my Wife's car (2002 Mazda Protege),it was like buy-ing an appliance. We found a 2007 Ford Fusion (5 speed/4 cylinder),at $1000 below askingprices by any Ford dealer.It's been a great car,& we will keep it until it dies,orcosts us way too much money. My point is that you could could buy many old British cars for what you'relosing from buying new/vs resale. - Doug

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew, I'm sorry,but I don't understand the logic of buying a new vehicle.The numbers just don't add up,plus having to wait weeks for a depreciating vehicle. When we replaced my Wife's car (2002 Mazda Protege),it was like buy-ing an appliance. We found a 2007 Ford Fusion (5 speed/4 cylinder),at $1000 below askingprices by any Ford dealer.It's been a great car,& we will keep it until it dies,orcosts us way too much money. My point is that you could could buy many old British cars for what you'relosing from buying new/vs resale. - Doug

Everyone's value equation is different, Doug. I already own a perfectly functional daily driver, the most financially responsible thing to do is nothing -- just drive it for the next 10 years until it gets tired. And be miserable every time I drive to work. I'm willing to pay a bit to fix that, and willing to wait on the order to get precisely what I want. I'm very glad (and thankful) to be in a position to be able to do this.

Jeeps hold their value very well so buying one used doesn't save as much as you might thing. This way I get exactly what I want, and don't inherit someone else's problems. I've owned both new and used cars over the years, and have never regretted the new ones -- while I have had issues with some of the used ones.

As for British cars, I already have the one I want and have no interest in owning more than one at a time. Just doesn't work with how I'm put together. I've tried it in the past, makes me actively miserable. Doing my best to avoid that misery in the future. :grin:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Picked up the new Jeep last night. I really like it. The manual transmission is long throw, a bit vague, and absolutely perfect for a Jeep -- I love it.

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Looks nice in that color. Very understated, unlike some of the more obnoxious looking Jeeps out there.

My LandCruiser used to have REALLY long throws for the stick, and I had driven a few CJs and an '87 Wrangler over the years, so when I bought my Sprite, I thought it was the quickest little gearbox I'd ever driven.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Love that color. I do get your logic even if it is about an emotional decision.
Jeep is much more practical for daily driver as compared to a FJ40.
My compromise was to get an Abarth ( DIRT cheap) for the commute
and ditch the FJ40 and FJ60 and send the FZJ80 to a friend's Cruiser Spa.
I need that 4x4 feature but I do like the auto tranny in 80 Cruiser.
The 1996 Cruiser is worth more today than it was 10 years ago.
That Jeep should do exactly what you have in mind.
The Cruisers just suck gas so bad I had to retire it from DD duties.
Just added the new bumper and winch. I have been winchless since the 40 sale.
The bumper was a rough replacement from a friend after I creamed a deer at about 60+ mph.
The new bumper should clear zombies now.
I do like a 4x4. Good move on the Jeep.

Attachments

• 80 a.jpg
    80 a.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 51
OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Jeep does have a lot of the flavor of the FJ40, but is something I can reasonably drive every day -- including doing some distance driving when necessary (long trips in the FJ40 maxed out at 60mph were no fun).

Nice work on the 80. Should serve the 4x4 need very well -- that's a serious tank there.

Only winch I ever had came on my last FJ40 (was a nice, original Warn 8274). Someday I'll do one for the Jeep, but the resources around here are all directed towards Penny Bugeye for the foreseeable future. :smile:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Good for you Drew! It's a happy time vehicle! I had a 6 cyl. CJ-7 with all accessories for quite some time, sold it and bought a new Liberty. The Liberty's ok, but I wish I had my CJ back! PJ