• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Winter Sprite

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
The local TV aired a bit of file footage tonight in
warning about the "possible" snow coming our way.
It was 18 inches deep in the old clip. Anyway, included
was a Sprite just zipping up a hill from a head-on perspective.
The year was 1988.
SWEET!
:driving:

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
David;
In 1967 I owned a 1959 Bugeye. I drove it to school everyday.
School was 15 miles away, and remember, this is Canada so we have lots of snow. BTW, did I mention there was no top, and I mean no convertible or hardtop.
Just good gloves, a scarf, and a very good jacket.
I would not trade these memories for anything.
Golly, I really need another Sprite!

Dave :cheers:

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Living in Colorado in 1968 my first car was a '62 Sprite. Drove it to school, skiing (Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat, Loveland, Arapahoe Basin, Lake Eldora) Studded snow tires and chains. Even drove it to Arkansas and back that summer. I think I still have the ski rack that fit it in the attic.

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

"Back in the Day"; I had a 72 Midget (Bought brand new). My 1st. Midget was a `67 bought used. Either way; I was a "Ski Instructor" @ Hunter Mtn. NY. I had to be there ea. Sat. AM regardless of weather for a Rollcall. The `72 Midget got me there pretty much without any hick-ups. Studded Snow Tires, Chaines, As much Weight in the Trunk etc.

Anyways; Leecreek; You say you still have a "Ski Rack" for that thing. Those were really cool. They strapped on the Top, Bottom & Sides of the Boot Lid with 4 suction cups on the boot. If you have an interest in clearing out some space in your attic or garage or wherever you may have the Rack; Please let me know.

Thanx, Russ

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'll see what is left of it next trip up there.

OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
14dna said:
David;
In 1967 I owned a 1959 Bugeye. I drove it to school everyday.
School was 15 miles away, and remember, this is Canada so we have lots of snow. BTW, did I mention there was no top, and I mean no convertible or hardtop.
Just good gloves, a scarf, and a very good jacket.
I would not trade these memories for anything.
Golly, I really need another Sprite!

Dave :cheers:

I hear ya! College days in my '67 were memorable.
The top was nice to have but NOT having one would
sure make for some frigid and vivid memories.
I remember how fun it was drifting on the snow and ice.
Mimi....shudder...no way it sees a white road.
Fear of salt and crazy inexperienced drivers.
Mimi stays wrapped in the barn snuggled next to Miss B.
Gundy,the FJ40, does the nasty stuff so well I like
to wheel it around and see if I can help some poor
stuck smuck. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll need winching.
Storm set to hit Sunday night.
:jester:

Attachments

• 23799.jpg
    23799.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 368

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
Here's a snow pic from last year; we didn't get a <span style="font-style: italic">lot</span> of snow, but it was still a good time:

PICT0022-1.jpg

OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
bill_powell said:
Here's a snow pic from last year; we didn't get a <span style="font-style: italic">lot</span> of snow, but it was still a good time:

PICT0022-1.jpg

:thumbsup: :bow:

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mine doon't see a whole lot of winter driving, but on nice days when there isn't a lot of slush and stuff, she will venture out for some fun. Nice thing about here is they don't use chemicals outside of the big towns because of damage to agricultural land, so you don't have to worry about salt.

Attachments

• 23807.jpg
    23807.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 329
OP
Gundy

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
scoutll said:
Mine doon't see a whole lot of winter driving, but on nice days when there isn't a lot of slush and stuff, she will venture out for some fun. Nice thing about here is they don't use chemicals outside of the big towns because of damage to agricultural land, so you don't have to worry about salt.

:cheers:
:thumbsup:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bryan that is a fine looking little car, the pic is super.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks guys, the car is still pretty photogenic for a 48 year old. By the way, this week was her birthday. Made sometime during the first week or so of Jan 1963... :banana:

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Late fall early winter in 1966 at Tennessee Tech. Sunday was a nice warm day so a lady friend and I spent the day cruising the Upper Cumberland area of Middle Tennessee in my BRG Bugeye. Parked the car with the top still down in front of the fraternity house late that afternoon. Never checked a weather report in those days. Next morning it's snowing big time and has been for a while. I'm late to class as usual. Only choice is to jump in and drive to campus, top still down, interior full of snow. I'm 6' 3"...windscreen didn't provide much protection from the driving snow. Still a very vivid memory.

nomad

Yoda
Geez Bryan, I'm envious. When I grew up here on the border of South Dakota. If you wanted a good solid older car you only had to drive a few miles into the state to find one. South Dakota never used salt while all of the states close by did. Now they can't seem to get enough on. I was told it was for the insurance companys benefit and I don't doubt it. From what I see it often makes condition's no better and sometimes worse and the average driver insists on being an idiot anyway.

Kurt.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
All they do here is throw sand down at intersections and on the highways if it gets really icy. Otherwise, they just let the driver's deal with it. If it get's too deep or windy, you just stay home. We have our share of silly drivers, especially people who are not used to it, mainly on or around the two Air Force Bases. It is most dangerous in towns like Bismarck, Fargo Grand Forks and Minot though. They use a sand/salt mixture near intersections there, but people still manage to wreck.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Russ-
This is what I found so far. Missing the two clamp pieces. Looked at the rack on my truck and think it could be adapted to this mount. I'll go through some boxes when it warms up. 23 deg up there this morn.

Attachments

• 23856.jpg
    23856.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 222

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
My first drive of 2011 was <span style="text-decoration: underline">just</span> before we had a big snow.
But not in my Spridget--in my MGB.

I took a trip out to Cranberry Lake here in NJ, where we have a Summer cottage. It's about a 30 mile round trip.
Good job it wasn't 35 miles.....I was getting cold. :laugh:

Temps were about 25F and windy. Our lake has been frozen since December.
You can't see it in the pictures, but there were people ice skating and ice fishing on the lake. I took another trip out there yesterday.....but in Miata. With top <span style="text-decoration: underline">up</span>.

We've had 20" of snow (total) since these photos were taken.

mg-cl-jan-2011-f.jpg

mg-cl-jan-2011-g.jpg

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
Well, it snowed last night, and when I went out to go to work it was 11°F out there! I decided it would likely be a good day for a photo op for all you folks, so here's how it went...

Warming up the car. It did take a while to get started up, I have to admit:

pict0001-6.jpg

Made it to work, but our driveway is pretty steep. Here I pulled over after failing my first attempt:

PICT0005-5.jpg

I was not able to make the uphill curve; snow on ice:

PICT0003-5.jpg

...so I decided to stay where I was, pulled a bit off the side:

PICT0002-7.jpg

And that's about it, I'm afraid. Boring, I know.

I may do some donuts later on the way home, though.

But you'll not get to see that...sorry. :yesnod:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I don't know, looks like a nice time.