• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Winter Projects

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
When I first bought Baby Blue, I mapped out a whole bunch of things that I wanted to do to the car and a rough timetable of when I'd do them. Some of them were scheduled for spring / summer of this year. Of course, once those times came around, it dawned on me that I was having so much fun driving the car that I really didn't want to take it off the road. I only did repairs and maintenance on items that affected the driveability of the car. The fact that it is also the busiest time of year for me in terms of performances also tended to have me shy away from attempting anything major during the spring and summer. So, those items are getting put off until winter. Rather than take one big hit, though, I've started ordering parts for the winter projects now, so the expense gets spread a little bit.

With most of the heavy mechanical stuff knocked out last year with the head gasket replacement, this year I'm starting to go to work on the car's interior. I definitely need new seat covers and foams. I also want to get into the dash and fix a few burnt out bulbs, such as the right turn signal indicator bulb and the brake warning bulb. With the seats out, I can more readily access the reverse switch, too.

The only heavy mechanical fix I have planned is to drop the gas tank and replace if necessary. I'm pretty sure the tank is original. Then there comes the usual maintenance: changing all fluids, tune up, valve adjustments, and go over the car front to back and IRAN (Inspect and Repair as Necessary), wax and polish. I need to replace the return line from the heater core as well.

Country flag
What are you going to do with the rest of the weekend? ;)

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
What are you going to do with the rest of the weekend? ;)

Lol. I imagine if I could spend an entire day working on the car, I could knock a ton of this stuff out fairly quickly. The work, however, usually ends up being weeknights after my daughter goes to bed for 60 to 90 minutes at a time...occasionally two hours if I get really involved.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
I'm not ok with the title of this thread. Are you trying to induce an anxiety attack!? Winter?! Winter is far away and we cannot give it any credence at this time. No no no. Winter is a terrorist. Winter will not happen this year and I don't have to think otherwise until the second week of December. Until then, all projects are just "projects". Please. I beg.

:grief::distress::frown: :smile:jester:smile:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Winter is a terrorist. Winter will not happen this year and I don't have to think otherwise until the second week of December.

You're very optimistic there -- trees already showing lots of color, that evil white "snow" stuff could hit us here in a month or so, depending. I'm right there with you, though -- every year at this time I wonder why it is that I live up in the mountains... ?

And SaxMan, you can get a bunch done in little 1 - 1.5 hour blocks. Chip away at the projects and you'll be driving again in early spring.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Drew, it's supposed to hit 31 tomorrow morning in Logan. I'm guessing colder where you are.

Saxman, I'm from Frederick originally. You have lots of time to get ready for winter --- if it ever really comes. I remember lots of Maryland winters that were 33F and raining the whole time.

I've already got my list of winter projects. I barely stopped using the evaporative cooler in the shop and it's time to turn on the heater!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew, it's supposed to hit 31 tomorrow morning in Logan. I'm guessing colder where you are.

Haven't seen that low yet, but down in the low 40s in the morning is standard practice now. Have I ever mentioned that I hate winter? :cryin:

As for winter projects, hopefully I'll have Penny Bugeye back in my shop before the snow flies. My major project for the winter is to gig as much as possible to earn working capital for the restoration.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As for winter projects, hopefully I'll have Penny Bugeye back in my shop before the snow flies.

That's exactly where I hope to be as well. I'm working on the suspension components right now so that I can have a rolling chassis fairly quickly upon its return.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag

Saxman, I'm from Frederick originally. You have lots of time to get ready for winter --- if it ever really comes. I remember lots of Maryland winters that were 33F and raining the whole time.

I've already got my list of winter projects. I barely stopped using the evaporative cooler in the shop and it's time to turn on the heater!

Where 'bouts in Frederick? My wife grew up in Mt. Pleasant. My father-in-law was the sports editor for the News-Post for almost 40 years.

Actually, we got whacked pretty hard last winter. If there was ever a "good time" to have your LBC off the road, last winter was definitely it in our area.

I do get a fair amount accomplished in those 1 to 2 hour sessions, especially when I'm working 3 or 4 nights a week in the garage. Of course, half the time is wasted looking for the tool that I just set down.