• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windshield Pillar Bolt & Nut

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The A-posts are welded in and the doors have been fitted. Before I weld on the skin I need to replace one/two of the capture nuts for the windshield pillar. Does any one have an idea as to the size of the bolts and the capture nuts. I'm thinking I'll have to use body epoxy to keep them in place.

6122589040_000dce0ba5.jpg

Sorry about he image quality, this is a major step forward for this car.....

1871380976_30df3c2352.jpg

Paul

BugeyeNJ58

Jedi Hopeful
Way to go Paul. Can't help you with the sizes, just giving encouragement. Put a box behind the wheel, sit on it and go VROOM!!! (not that I did that doing my restoration..)

Dug

Jedi Trainee
The size is 5/16-24.

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thx Guy's.
Might try welding (glueing) it in on a washer.

Paul

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The one in the front uses a captive nut which was correctly sized above as 5/16-24 which is NF. The ones to the back do not use a captive nut, as the nut is accessable from underneath. I think you could install a swage type nut here, as the metal is thick enough. FWIW, here is my mirror, which threaded into the captive nut. Most people put such mirrors on the back bolt, which is easier, as various sizes of stems can be fitted.
Scott in CA

Attachments

• 26380.jpg
    26380.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 437

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice looking windsheld Posts. What is the finsh?

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Jack,
Posts are polished....some say they should be painted the same color as the original wheels...I like the bling...
Scott in CA

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They really look nice. Think I just may do that with mine.

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
smaceng said:
The one in the front uses a captive nut which was correctly sized above as 5/16-24 which is NF. The ones to the back do not use a captive nut, as the nut is accessable from underneath. I think you could install a swage type nut here, as the metal is thick enough. FWIW, here is my mirror, which threaded into the captive nut. Most people put such mirrors on the back bolt, which is easier, as various sizes of stems can be fitted.
Scott in CA

Scott, Can you share where you got this mirror??

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I did the same thing as Scott with the mirrors, although I put mine in the back. There is normally a wide variety of motor cycle mirrors on Ebay, which is where I got these. Some on the forum have said they have Harley mirrors, which are probably a little better quality. Here is what mine looks like.
Kevin

Attachments

• 26757.jpg
    26757.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 269

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This is my mirror as used on my BE. Originally I wanted to use a mirror that could be used with side curtains.....a purist as such.
It turned out that in a year and a half of driving, never put the curtains on....even in the rain. This is what I did. Maybe more trouble than it was worth. The only thing more difficult on my BE(rebuilt the entire car) was the 5-speed conversion!

Attachments

• 26760.jpg
    26760.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 263

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Could I resurrect this to find out exactly what these mirrors are... and where you got them (maybe including the model)? Did they have the 5/16"-24 thread the way they came?
Thanks.
- Mark

P.S. - when I look at various motorcycle mirror URLs I find a lot of metric stuff and I guess I'd like to avoid an adapter (and many don't tell you much at all about the dimensions of anything other than the mirror size). It would be great to get a definitive source and model.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here is the link for the mirrors:
https://www.browardmotorsports.com/eshopp...OM__MIRRORS.htm

The mirror used a 3/8" diameter shaft, and I substituted a straight shaft, as I wanted to be able to screw in the post and not worry about the orientation of the mirror. I turned down the end to 5/16" dia. and then threaded it 5/16-24.
As I said, this is not an easy mirror to make, as you need to have tools and such, but it can be reproduced.

If you want, I can take it off and take pictures of all the parts.
cheers,
Scott

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks Scott! I've also seen mini adaptors for threads (at a motorcycle site). This should do me for now. It would be nice if we had a menu of options at these motorcycle sites (with combinations of parts)... with known threads and dimensions. Again, this is helpful for now.
- Mark

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Adding, to my way of thinking, the most optimal (i.e., looks the best and would be less prone to vibration and wind issues) would be a Raydot or equivalent attached as in this photo (from a car I saw, of which I made this composite - and it appeared that the doors opened fine)....

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
But I should expect that with the side curtains in they would not.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I think you're right about the side-curtains, but I don't think I'll EVER use them (nice as they are). Thanks for the pic (that I looked at in your Photobucket - lots of nice reference shots there).
- Mark

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Very nice work BillW...I like the contrast of the silver with the black on the wheels.
Scott in CA