• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Why I Like Victoria British

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I ordered from VB and fitted a new chrome front bumper for Harold earlier this year. It fitted beautifully and looked smart. However, today I noticed that there was a small, dime-shaped piece of chrome that had fallen off on one corner's top surface. The exposed metal was rusty: not good.

I 'phoned VB to tell them about it. They were very pleasant and immediately offered to replace it. So a new one is on its way.

That's what I call good customer service. I just hope the next one will be better than the first /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Steve...

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

also.. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around [/QUOTE]

Love your tag line.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I liked it so much I sniped it.

...wasn't gonna tell HIM that, tho. Royalties bein' what they are an' all. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

ronzet

Jedi Knight
DrEntropy,

'tis a good one... Oy Vey, I should be so clever or so witty... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Julian,

So, OK... I just got a quote from my chromer for my bumpers and upgrights... $1,600..... Yikes.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cryin.gif

This is money better spent elsewhere on my restoration - My MGA ya' know...

Other than the bubble that precipitated the exchange... how is the quality and, well, heft -- as in weight compared to the originals???

I think that spending less for the aftermarkets right now and keeping my originals for chroming for when I win the lottery seems to make sense... Sigh, I have been down this road too many times... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Any comments???

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'll comment. "Shock an' Awe", huh?!? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

I had the front one rechromed and went for the repro on the rear. I shoulda dropped th' dime and had the rear done too. But I DID keep the original for a later re-do. That's just ~prudent~ IMO.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
$1600 ... Gasp!

I would say the original was a little heavier than the VB bumper, but not by much. The fit on the VB was spot on: all the holes aligned perfectly. The original was bent: I tried to beat it out, but it looked awful, so after I fitted the VB one I junked it.

The worry I have is that the new VB ones are not made to the same standards as the originals, and that I'm going to be faced with asking for a replacement multiple times.

ronzet said:
Julian,

So, OK... I just got a quote from my chromer for my bumpers and upgrights... $1,600..... Yikes.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cryin.gif

This is money better spent elsewhere on my restoration - My MGA ya' know...

Other than the bubble that precipitated the exchange... how is the quality and, well, heft -- as in weight compared to the originals???

I think that spending less for the aftermarkets right now and keeping my originals for chroming for when I win the lottery seems to make sense... Sigh, I have been down this road too many times... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Any comments???

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
All I can say is: Watch fer pitting....

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I like Vickies for parts offered, service, but they are lacking for when you have a question and they kill you on shipping to PA. Looks like where i will have to get my gas cap from but they can not tell me if the one they offer is an early big on or a late small one so i have to order to see.... that is fustrating

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm happy with the new Moss bumpers....

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Does anyone have any opinion about waxing chrome parts (mostly to prevent rusting)? After I polished out my original MGB bumpers I waxed them and so far they seem to be doing OK, but would this work to keep new replacements free(er) of rust?
Bill

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
just waxing alone might not do it. If you really want to protect them without "clear coating" them, I think it may be a good idea to seal them in much the same way you would seal your paint job with a glazing compound. THEN add the wax.

Of course, if you're polishing them every other weekend that might be a different story.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Julian, make sure you coat the back of the bumper. I use spray undercoating. I wouldn't clear coat the chrome as the coating will chip and look awful. There are some instant spray waxes out there that don't leave white marks and work very well. Spray your chrome every time you wash the car and the chrome should last for years. The reason a good chrome job is expensive is due to more than one condition. Good chrome will have a copper plated base. This seals the steel from rust and gives the chrome a good bonding surface. (Most chrome coming from overseas doesn't have the extra copper under coating), And, due to the environmental impact of chrome byproducts, the plating service's are under strict government regulations and the cost of disposing these waste materials have escalated beyond comprehension. Naturally, everything rolls downhill and the consumer has to pick up the slack. So, what might have been a $100.00 chrome job 20 years ago will more than likely be at least a $1000.00 today.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

Do I understand correctly that you are a Moss reseller?

Please send me a PM to discuss some parts that I need and why it is better to buy through a reseller...

Thanks,

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ron - I am: Moss, Victoria British, Engels plus several others....PM on the way.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
PAUL161 said:
Julian, make sure you coat the back of the bumper. I use spray undercoating.

+1. I use thed clear POR15 on the backside of my bumpers. They dont see enough UV to be a convcern (POR15 says it must be topcoated if exposed to sunlight).

lawguy

Jedi Knight
People knock the stuff- but for chrome...and wheels, both painted and chrome- Nu Finish. The stuff really does last a long time. Not a "year" on chrome and wheels, but 30+ days on the wheels of a daily driver is pretty good (the heat from brakes on wheels does not treat natural waxes well).

I do not use Nu Finish on the ...er...finish, but for other parts- I'm sold.

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Ron, aside from the discount I always buy from any vendors who actively support a forum like this one. Our common interests bind us, and the free information and advice provided by Tony have helped us all. As a consumer (and as a "reseller" in my professional life) I appreciate that in the instance where I may have a problem with a given product, Tony's or any other reseller's influence is far greater than mine alone. While a customer may ahve a problem with a 100 dollar part, Tony's buying power means that BV or Moss is dealing with a much larger customer than just me. There are a number of people on this forum, yourself included, who have given me invaluable advice. Saving money by returning the favor is a definite win-win. IMO
Mike

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
Ron - I am: Moss, Victoria British, Engels plus several others....PM on the way.

Somehow I missed that you had the Engle's Imports thing!!!

Been usin' 'em for YEARS! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif