• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A What Oil goes in your TR3/4 Trans?

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

I was going thru my Triumph Service Manual to see what is the recommended Oil for a TR3/4 Trans? The manual suggests "Straight 30w" Motor Oil.

I know this question has come up a 1K times but here it is again.

"What do you put in your Trans"?

Thanx, Russ

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I think this has to be regarded as an opinion poll rather than a technical thread as I have never been convinced there is a single right answer here.

I'm using Redline MT90 which seems to work well in both my OD and standard gearboxes.

I have used straight 30W (non-detergent) in the OD in the past -- that was okay too.

I doubt that any of the commonly used oils are going to do much harm nor are any going to save a worn out gearbox but some may improve shifting in certain circumstances.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Howdy Folks,

I was going thru my Triumph Service Manual to see what is the recommended Oil for a TR3/4 Trans? The manual suggests "Straight 30w" Motor Oil.

That must be an early TR3 manual. Triumph did originally specify motor oil (although it was supposed to be 50 weight in summer); but they changed their recommendation around 1960 to GL4 gear oil. Legend has it that they were seeing too many warranty failures with the motor oil, and decided to specify gear oil even though Laycock (the OD maker) didn't like it. They then stuck with the GL4 recommendation through the end of TR6 production (although there were other improvements made along the way, the TR6 box is basically the same as the TR4).

Personally, I switched to Redline MT-90, which is a GL-4 oil specifically formulated to improve synchro action, about 8 years ago now. The difference in my TR3 (which has a mostly TR6 gearbox) was quite noticeable.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

Well; I guess the answer is "All over the Board". Thanx for the "Replies / Suggestions".

Randall; My "Service Instruction Manual" has on the "Front Cover": "Publication Part No. 502602":

On the "Back Cover" it shows this: "ISBN 0 948207 69 8": Does that designate that it may have been printed
Aug. 69?

Thanx Again Folks,

Russ

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Randall; My "Service Instruction Manual" has on the "Front Cover": "Publication Part No. 502602":

On the "Back Cover" it shows this: "ISBN 0 948207 69 8": Does that designate that it may have been printed
Aug. 69?
I don't think so. According to https://www.isbn.org/faqs_general_questions and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Book_Number the "69" is the publication number while the "8" is the check digit.

But the fact it bears a ten digit ISBN would seem to indicate it was printed after 1974 (which of course doesn't necessarily mean it was updated then). I'm not certain, but I believe what you have there is a Brooklands reprint of the original factory manual.
https://www.abebooks.com/9780948207693/Triumph-Tr2-Workshop-Manual-Tr3-0948207698/plp

What does the title page say as far as edition & printing? Does it have a hard or soft cover?

Here is a scan from the 3rd edition of "Practical Hints for the Maintenance of the Triumph T.R.3", P/N 501528/2, which I believe was updated in 1957 for the introduction of the "wide mouth" TR3A model even though the wiring diagram does not show the separate rear turn signals (that were also introduced in 1957).

And one from the 2nd edition of the TR4 workshop manual, P/N 510322 updated in 1965 (although I don't think the lubricants page changed, that's the edition I have).

PS, 502602 is the TR2/3 workshop manual. It doesn't cover TR4 at all. AFAIK it was never updated after the introduction of front disc brakes (late TR3). For example, the 3rd edition says nothing about how to remove the TR3A type headlight trim rings, separate turn signals, etc. If yours has any of the material for the TR3A, I'd like to hear about it.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Brad Penn 90 wt GL4 in my A Type overdrive box at the moment. Works well so far, leaves a pretty green stain from all the leaks I have..

PKPoole

Country flag
I'm using straight 30W in both my TR3's (both with OD's). No problems.

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
In 1959 when the Mini was released, we were all staggered that they were running both the gear-box and the diff in the same oil as the engine.
Not the same kind of oil. The actual engine oil. The gears were in the engine sump.

We all expected the gears to blow apart because we had religiously been putting gear-oil and hypoid oil into our rear-wheel drive transmissions.

But this didn't happen. At least not before the rust and taken the suspension away.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Randall,

My "Front Cover" reads as follows & In this order:

Publication Part No. 502602:
SERVICE INSTURCTION MANUAL:
TR2 Emblem
Third Edition (Sixth Printing):
Incorporating Supplement for TR3 Model:
Issued by SERVICE DIVISON, STANDARD-TRIUMPH SALES LTD.
COVENTRY, ENGLAND:

The book is a "Red Soft Cover" with no dates shown anywhere; Front or Back.

As for the "Lubricants"; Here`s what it says; In order shown for "Engine Oil" in "Overseas Countries & British Isles":

Overseas Countries: Duckham`s NOL Vacuum Wakefield BP Energol
"Forty" Mobiloil Castrol Energol
"AF" "XXL" Engine Oil
SAE 40

British Isles: Shell X-100 Esso Duckham`s Vacuum
30 Essolube Duckham`s Mobiloil
30 NOL "Thirty" "A"

There is nothing about "TR4" anything & nothing about the "Headlight Trim Ring Removal" except changing the "Bulb". Nothing relative to the "Turn Signals" either.

The above suggested lubricants jumped all over the place & printed in-correctly. If you`d like to see the page(s); I`d be happy to either post it here or email after scanning.

Regards, Russ

PS: In response to my Initial Question; It appears that a "Straight 30 weight" Engine Oil will be just fine.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks, Russ.

I still believe that is a Brooklands reprint of the last factory TR3 manual. I have a hardcover original (at least it was hard cover before they fell off and got lost) with the same edition & printing. It has no mention that I can find of any of the changes made after the switch to front disc brakes; thus I believe it was last updated in 1956 (although it was obviously reprinted several times after that). For example, it states there were no changes to the exhaust system after the TR2, while Piggott shows a change in Jan 57 (at TS15706). There is no mention of the later type starter, flywheel & bolt-on ring gear (Apr 59); later grille; or even external door handles (both Sept 57). Many other omissions as well. While some of those things might have been beneath mention, it seems unlikely that they would fail to mention all of them.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks & Happy "Pre" New Year to All,

Yesterday I was talking to my Brit Car Guru Mech & proposed this Trans Oil question to him.

He said; He would put "20/50" Motor Oil into "His" trans if the car was his. I`m sort of suprised that no one here has mentioned that. What comments on using "20/50" Motor Oil??

Thanx, Russ

PS: He`s an outstanding Mech. & also races SCCA in his Spridget. He also builds "High Quality" 4spd. transmissions for you "Racing" folks out there (Spridgets Only) at this time. MGB`s may come in the future.

Last edited:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I used to use Valvoline 20/50 "racing" oil and it worked OK. MT-90 works better, and matches the factory recommendation of GL4.

MG and most other British makes at the time specified engine oil; as did Triumph up until about 1958. Then they switched. Must of had some reason ...