• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

VTR 2011 -- Who'll Be There?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Now that summer is here for most of North America I hope that many of you are making plans for a Colorado visit in August, specifically the VTR in Breckenridge:

VTR 2011

I am not one of the organizers -- shoot I have never even been to a VTR before -- but I will be attending this one and would like to know who else from the Forum expects to be there.

If you care to PM me with an email address I would be willing to compile a list of likely attendees, put all of us in contact off-forum and help organize some activity specific to us. If you could indicate what day you will arrive (if you know) that will also help.

If this event is anything like the Triumphests and TRAs I have attended there is some time in the schedule for extracurricular activities.

There are quite a few half-day drives in the area as well as the planned 'Fun Tour' being a self-scheduled & self-directed event -- so perhaps we can get together to drive some of the mountain roads as a small group.

I have driven most of the roads around there, but always in a VW Campmobile, so I yearn to try them in a TR.

Feel free to reply here but again, if you want to be included in an off-forum sharing of driving or other plans, a PM with an email address will help.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
They are a blast. Janet and I have been to a couple of them - one in Rockford, Ill. when we had the TR3, and one with the TR8 in PA.

If you can, by all means go!

V

vagt6

I went to the VTR show in Richmond a few years ago. It was very well-organized with a stunning array of nice cars. It was held at an airport and they staged a "fly in" with a restored Supermarine Spitfire fighter. Wow, that was a thrill.

If you can make a VTR nation show, go. Excellent shows. :yesnod:

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I'm dying to go, as I had a great time at last year's events at Jekyll Island - but I'm not sure its in the cards this year.

What are you taking Geo? It's the 50th anniversary of the TR4...

Reh

I'll be there in my GT6+.

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
Hi George,
I'll be there but without the TR4. There will be a few from SoCal who are driving their TRs.
A month later I'll be at Triumphest, with the car, in Big Bear Lake Ca. which is in the San Bernardino Mountains just east of Los Angeles.
Hey, make up for missed event...do both!
Take care,
Bob

tmc

I live in Loveland, Colorado. If I finish my TR3A and get it sorted out by then, I'll go up for at least one day. Breckenridge is a pretty spot and the drive up there is worth it on a sunny Colorado day! I-70 is no fun, but some of it can be avoided.

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Hey Glenn -- I saw (and voted) your previous message and generous offer. Alas, we will be approaching from the opposite direction so we'll see you there on the 16th.

Do you expect to drive US6/Loveland pass on your cruise to Breckenridge?

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was planning a few drives - Peak-to-Peak Highway to Estes Park through Rocky Mountain National Park over the Divide through Lake Grandby, through Winter Park, over Berthoud Pass to Loveland pass past A Basin, Keystone, Lake Dillon and into Breck.

Another early comers drive option was Pikes Peak / Garden of the Gods, and Mt Evans via Squaw Pass. Cars must be in tip top shape for these drives.

swift6

Yoda
StagByTriumph said:
I was planning a few drives - Peak-to-Peak Highway to Estes Park through Rocky Mountain National Park over the Divide through Lake Grandby, through Winter Park, over Berthoud Pass to Loveland pass past A Basin, Keystone, Lake Dillon and into Breck.

Another early comers drive option was Pikes Peak / Garden of the Gods, and Mt Evans via Squaw Pass. Cars must be in tip top shape for these drives.

In case anyone was wondering, the drives that Glenn is mentioning here are outstanding. They are long, easily six hours on the first one if traffic is friendly, especially through the park. Lots of high altitude passes too, 12,184 feet crossing over Rocky Mountain National park. Tip Top shape is a great reccomendation.

If you do Mt. Evans and make it to the summit parking lot you will have driven to 14,130 feet. Short 1/4 mile easy hike to the actual summit.

I do drives like this on a regular basis in my TR8. from 5,000 feet in altitude and driving up to 12,500 feet with no issues. past 12,500 the air gets REALLY thin and you'll need a little extra right foot pressure to keep the engine running while idling. Weather moves in really fast at 14,000 feet too so make your Mt. Evans trip as early in the day as possible. If snow hasn't moved in early and closed it by late August, always a possibility.

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Great drives indeed. We'll be spending 6 or 7 days in RMNP after the VTR, some hiking but also a drive up Fall River Road in the TR.

The road from Kremmling to State Bridge will get driven too, a spectacular route high above the Colorado River (and mostly paved these days).

TR4nut said:
...What are you taking Geo? It's the 50th anniversary of the TR4...

Shoot, I didn't even think about yet another 50th anniverary -- current plan is to take the TR3A as the TR4 is going on long roadtrips in September and October.

swift6

Yoda
Geo Hahn said:
Great drives indeed. We'll be spending 6 or 7 days in RMNP after the VTR, some hiking but also a drive up Fall River Road in the TR.

The road from Kremmling to State Bridge will get driven too, a spectacular route high above the Colorado River (and mostly paved these days).

Glad to see you're not afraid to leave the beaten path with your Triumph. My TR8 spends a lot of time covered in dirt from non-paved roads (they can make excellent short cuts and provide much more pristine scenery at times) and when I had my TR6 it used to see some dirt road action quite frequently. Even took it up a Jeep trail near Jackson Hole Wyoming for some very unique photos with the Grand Tetons in the background.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I was hoping to get to VTR, but as my summer work schedule has firmed up it does not look good, I am only 8 hours or so away, but tied up at work through Friday. Sounds like a great event, pretty sure at least a couple guuys from my local club are going.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Geo - I've driven my 1958 TR3A to many VTR events. I was at Portland, Oregon (7300 miles) in 2000 and to Breckenridge in 2001 (5225 miles) and drove throught Estes pass. I remember it is at altitude 12,095 ft above sea level and it was 38 degrees most mornings at the camp-ground where I was tenting.

I did a few of those 1/2 day tours. But they are really "just a ride around the block". But a beautiful block, That's how big a "block" is in remote Colorado.

Attachments

• 25446.jpg
    25446.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 156

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Folks,

I am anxiously looking forward to Breck this year, but it looks like we will be arriving Thursday evening as opposed to hosting a lot of pre and post-week drives due to a new job and no vacation.

The offer to have the garage, lift, tools and spares are still open, and folks can stop off here in between drives if arriving early, and we are available evenings the week prior to, of and after the convention to meet with any interested parties.

This is not a venue to miss, one of the best venues for VTR!

Cheers!

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I took my TR3A to the last VTR in Breckenridge. Had a real good time. Driving a sports car in the mountains is fantastic. The only issue I had was my sidedraft webers were running rich. I had even brought along leaner jets just in case, but they weren't lean enough. Of course, that didn't stop me from driving the car!

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Don Elliott said:
...I did a few of those 1/2 day tours. But they are really "just a ride around the block". But a beautiful block, That's how big a "block" is in remote Colorado.

Don_Elliott_at_Hoosier_Pass_VTR_2001_cropped.JPG

Nice -- parked in that spot your oil leaks can flow to the Atlantic and your coolant leaks can flow to the Pacific.