• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just got in from VTR......report follows>>>>>

G

Well, fellows, just got in from the VTR convention in Irving and have to say, it was an experience.

Actually left a day early because the heat was wearing me out and I knew I had to drive back the 9 hours. You would know I went from 104 to a blinding East Texas rainstorm on a 2-lane blacktop (did not see James Taylor) short cut. Never do that again. (oh, yes I will)

The convention was good. About 200 cars, many showing up for the weekend only (the locals pretty much), with lots of out-of-state diehards that apparently make a lot of VTRs. All very nice people. I participated in several moving events: the gimmick rally (with a female PE coach from Cal who flew in without her TR6, friend of Herman and his wife), the Time-Distance trials (ever try to go 18 mph in Dallas with a bunch of Lexus' (Lexi?) blowing their impatient horn at you, for 35 miles, in 105 temp? We pulled over into a Baptist bible school in sheer desparation to pee (8 pints of water), they just smiled and said G_d bless you...
The best was the Autocross. I kicked their tails, of course in my mind. Actually had some bystanders complimented me on my aggressive driving. Well, I think they were complimenting me. They were speaking Spanish and had garden rakes in their hands. They sure were jumping around alot.

The pavement was so hot that you didn't need sticky tires. Everybody had sticky tires. I actually think I did well. Will see what the postings say. Some super-prepaired cars got overzealous and oversteered a bit, one Honda (yep) powered Spit almost spun his valves when he went past redline (about 10,000rpm). The guys that seemed to do the best kept a constant throttle, kindof the tortoise and hare routine.
Some gals autocrossed. Good looking cars and they were even prettier! I was impressed. About 75 cars ran the race.

The Roadster Factory showed up with Charles Runyon and lots of toys. Always fun to shop. Ted Schumacher was there. He ain't no slouch, knows a bunch of stuff and has very competitive prices. Interestingly enough, I told Charles that I had the complete Gunst setup for a new clutch sitting on my desk that I had gotten from him and was talking about the issues I was having with the pros/cons I have been hearing (not just you, Paul). Charles said send it back, he recommend I stay with the Magic Clutch (Sachs/Koyo). Heck, since I have to change my ring gear, TSI made me a heckuva deal on an aluminum flywheel with gear already in place. Save the cost of having to face my old iron wheel (not lighten, face). Gotta weigh the info a bit more.

The hotel (Omni/Mandalay in Las Colinas) was first rate, which made the oppressing heat-of-it-all bearable. Good restaurant. I had gotten in at about 11:30 pm, lost and near the hotel but not knowing how near, I spotted a Dallas babe coming out of a late workout gym, flaxen hair, ultra fit and trim, gorgeous, and with Clear Hooters that were some of the most amazing that I have ever seen. I pulled up with my TR6 and asked directions. She would have otherwise Maced me, but the car impressed her so, she actually bent down and pointed directions. It was going to be a long night.

Anyway, I am home, and tired, and glad I went. But will never, never do 4 days in that kind of heat again. Till the next time.

Bill

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I think they were complimenting me. They were speaking Spanish and had garden rakes in their hands. They sure were jumping around alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

Thanks for the report!

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
Glad you enjoyed it Bill. I'm going to see Ted tomorrow and give him a ride in the simulator. I also think he has a wealth of information and I'm really looking forward to spending a few hours with him...

Happy you are home safe!

swift6

Yoda
Isn't Joe Curry's Spitfire a trip?

There is a Spitfire in Denver that has a 450hp turbocharged 13B Rotary engine in it. It also has completly revised suspension front and rear, huge fender flares and plenty of tire underneath it. He outdrags his friends Viper from 0-60 and the 1320'.

Not my cuppa, but to each his own.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I wasn't there but got a phone report from a friend who was. You didn't mention the presence of possibly the most HALLOWED Triumph of all time: one of the two extant, Donald Healey-designed, Dolomite Straight 8 roadsters! Wish I'd been there; can't wait to see pictures (especially of that car)!

swift6

Yoda
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif That car surely had to be the belle of the ball. Those engines are such pieces of art. They did right in getting permission from ALFA to 'copy' it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
G

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't there but got a phone report from a friend who was. You didn't mention the presence of possibly the most HALLOWED Triumph of all time: one of the two extant, Donald Healey-designed, Dolomite Straight 8 roadsters! Wish I'd been there; can't wait to see pictures (especially of that car)!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's kinda like, you seen one Triumph Dolomite Straight Eight, you seen 'em all. (Actually, they both were there.)

Pretty impressive.

Even had a Triumph Gloria Southern Cross one could slobber over.

Bill

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bill, I'm really glad that you discussed it with Charles personally and that he suggested sending it back, which is exactly what I would do if I were you. Don't start a headache now that you don't need and with his blessing in hand you can pretty much be assured that you'll have one coming if you do the Gunst.

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the update Bill. Glad you had a good time. Maybe when you get a chance yyou can look at my question about my door glass seal. I'm not getting any responses and am eager to complete the work. Thanks again

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
What's the question about your door glass seal? I must have missed it.

EDITED @ 6:00PM

Sorry, I just saw the answer from Bill on the other post.

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a link to the pictures I took that I've had a chance to post thus far (including pictures of the Dolomite Straight Eight):

https://members.cox.net/sandraj123/2006_VTR_Pictures/page_0001.html

It was hot! But my wife and I had a great time.

BTW, the black Spitfire with the Honda engine did indeed belong to Joe Curry. Not surprisingly, he ended up with the fastest auto-cross time of the day.

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Is that Joe's Spitfire in your photos? If so, it's changed since the last time I saw it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The black spitfire with the hard top and side pipe (on the passenger side) is Joe's.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Despite the heat, I'm sorry I missed out on the fun - I was pulled away on a business trip.

Any TRs overheat during the fun?

Great pics by the way, Kurtis!

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I didn't see any serious overheating issues. My car certainly ran a little further up the gauge than normal, but never overheated. I know of one TR4 that vapor locked during the gimmick rally and had to be trailered back to the parking garage.

BobSands

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
Well, fellows, just got in from the VTR convention in Irving and have to say, it was an experience.

Actually left a day early because the heat was wearing me out and I knew I had to drive back the 9 hours. You would know I went from 104 to a blinding East Texas rainstorm on a 2-lane blacktop (did not see James Taylor) short cut. Never do that again. (oh, yes I will)

The convention was good. About 200 cars, many showing up for the weekend only (the locals pretty much), with lots of out-of-state diehards that apparently make a lot of VTRs. All very nice people. I participated in several moving events: the gimmick rally (with a female PE coach from Cal who flew in without her TR6, friend of Herman and his wife), the Time-Distance trials (ever try to go 18 mph in Dallas with a bunch of Lexus' (Lexi?) blowing their impatient horn at you, for 35 miles, in 105 temp? We pulled over into a Baptist bible school in sheer desparation to pee (8 pints of water), they just smiled and said G_d bless you...
The best was the Autocross. I kicked their tails, of course in my mind. Actually had some bystanders complimented me on my aggressive driving. Well, I think they were complimenting me. They were speaking Spanish and had garden rakes in their hands. They sure were jumping around alot.

The pavement was so hot that you didn't need sticky tires. Everybody had sticky tires. I actually think I did well. Will see what the postings say. Some super-prepaired cars got overzealous and oversteered a bit, one Honda (yep) powered Spit almost spun his valves when he went past redline (about 10,000rpm). The guys that seemed to do the best kept a constant throttle, kindof the tortoise and hare routine.
Some gals autocrossed. Good looking cars and they were even prettier! I was impressed. About 75 cars ran the race.

The Roadster Factory showed up with Charles Runyon and lots of toys. Always fun to shop. Ted Schumacher was there. He ain't no slouch, knows a bunch of stuff and has very competitive prices. Interestingly enough, I told Charles that I had the complete Gunst setup for a new clutch sitting on my desk that I had gotten from him and was talking about the issues I was having with the pros/cons I have been hearing (not just you, Paul). Charles said send it back, he recommend I stay with the Magic Clutch (Sachs/Koyo). Heck, since I have to change my ring gear, TSI made me a heckuva deal on an aluminum flywheel with gear already in place. Save the cost of having to face my old iron wheel (not lighten, face). Gotta weigh the info a bit more.

The hotel (Omni/Mandalay in Las Colinas) was first rate, which made the oppressing heat-of-it-all bearable. Good restaurant. I had gotten in at about 11:30 pm, lost and near the hotel but not knowing how near, I spotted a Dallas babe coming out of a late workout gym, flaxen hair, ultra fit and trim, gorgeous, and with Clear Hooters that were some of the most amazing that I have ever seen. I pulled up with my TR6 and asked directions. She would have otherwise Maced me, but the car impressed her so, she actually bent down and pointed directions. It was going to be a long night.

Anyway, I am home, and tired, and glad I went. But will never, never do 4 days in that kind of heat again. Till the next time.

Was only able to come out to the Equisrian Center Saturday morning...Looked for ya, Bill...maybe next time.
There are really only two of the Dolomite 8's? Any ideas on value? The 30's must have been something, to produce cars with that kind of styling and workmanship.
Sorry it was so HOT! Even Texans were suffering...maybe we should make it in the fall, next time.
Take care Bob

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]