• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vent window attachment on BJ8

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The vent window frame has two small holes on the outside of the frame that I guess accept small screws into the door top section and is covered by the chrome molding. The main attachment is by 4 screws on the inside of the door. Are these two small screws necessary and what size would they be? Thanks and have a good day!

John

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi John,

All good restoration questions.

Are they necessary?
I did not find any there when doing my restoration.
Not to say that the factory didn't put them in?
I did not see a need to put them in. The frame seems to be secure without them.

What size screws?
Being they will be hidden, I'd just use the smallest size that will work. Certainly don't want them to be too long and contact the glass.

Cheers,
Roger

Country flag
I could only find one set of holes (with screws)on my wind wing. They are at the bottom at the glass-only side. These screws hold the window lock in place. Are these what you are referring to? If so, they are necessary.

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi John

I just replaced my BJ8 vent window frame (driver's side) with an NOS unit. I found that the two small screw holes that are hidden by the chrome moulding strip along the top of the door provide the frame with additional rigidity, and also help to secure the frame to the door top itself once you have adjusted the clearance of the vent frame against the windshield frame. Are they necessary? Maybe not - in fact my NOS unit didn't have these predrilled - I had to drill new ones, simply because the old one had them (the passenger side had them as well). Additionally these drilled holes are not always in the same place, as I found out when testing several used vent window frames that I found before buying the NOS unit. I used very small (#6-32, half inch, I think) stainless steel panhead screws.

Dave

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OH Dave, thanks for clarifying which screws they were talking about. Those screws which attach the ventilator to the door and which are usually missing were short #4 or #6 Self tapping sheet metal screws.---Fwiw--Keoke

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
You're right Keoke - they may have been #4 screws.

Incidentally, the screws that attach the chrome grab handle onto each door are the ones to be careful of. They go through the door panel and the door sheet metal. If you're replacing them, and they're too long, you'll be scratching your door glass. The previous owner found out the hard way. Unfortunately I'm the one still looking for a replacement...

D.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes David, I have been there and done that. Similarly, installing the inside door top roll usually requires new holes .Consequently, if you do not use a stop on the drill bit you will bugger the glass. I do not know if an NOS glass, if you can find one, is worth $300.00 like I had to pay.---Keoke- :cry:

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
John -

These screw do serve some function in that they help prevent the top of the window channel from moving or flexing when winding the window up or down. Ultimately this may not mean much, but may reduce wear and tear on the little mounting studs at the very bottom the channel which are rather fragile. It should also help reduce body squeaking while driving.

Thankfully, these were precision drilled (probably with a jig of some kind) so the holes should line up no problem on the door skin.

The screws, if I recall offhand, are the kind with a panhead that has an integral washer-like surface integrated with the panhead. These will be posidrive, but save that Phillips here should be fine. On my BJ8, the original screws are quite long, maybe about an inch long.

I do believe they are #4 screws.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I should say these screws will also help prevent damage to your vent window frame also if someone leans against the vent window for some reason.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I just did this project today. The installation of the window and frame takes quite a lot of adjustments. I worked most of the day on one door and got everything on but the door handle and windor winder. I can't wait to get those pins in place.
The other vent window needs new speed nuts to hold the vent window. They are an odd size. Anyone have a source?

Jerry
BJ8

OP
J

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jerry,
Moss has the correct speed nuts. Are the pins for the door handles tappered or just straight? Mine were not attached to my car when I got it. Have a good day!

John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
John_Progess said:
Jerry,
. Are the pins for the door handles tappered-- :nonod: or just straight?-- :yesnod: Mine were not attached to my car when I got it. Have a good day!

John

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Got you beat, nothing was attached to my car when I got it. Boxes and pieces only.

I did not see MOSS listing for the speed nuts for the windwing attachement to the door, but I used another type of speednut. This allowed me to fit the windwing to the windshield better also.

Getting closer to driving it!!

Jerry
BJ8