• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Valve Stuck Again

Morris

Yoda
Same valve... while cruising down the highway. Was able to limp her to work where I effected repairs in the parking lot.

Could this problem be caused by oil starvation? I had the car running with the valve cover off, and there did not seem to be much going on oil wise. On other cars I have worked on, running sans valve cover was good way to get fairly drenched in oil.

Also, my valve train makes a lot of loud noise until the car is thoroughly warmed up. That don't seem right.

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
Before installing my rocker feed kit, I accidentally starved the head of oil due to some problem with the oil feed in the head-gasket area. I highly recommend an external oil feed. It'll keep your various parts thoroughly lubricated, where the stock passages don't necessarily do the trick.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Uh Oh.
If you remove the rocker arm assembly, there are oil-feed holes in the head that go into the rocker arm stands. If you crank the engine, these holes should oooze oil.
If your getting oil that far, take the rocker arm assembly appart and clean/inspect.
The external oil feed kit won't hurt, but it sounds like there is a problem that should also be fixed. I think Moss sells the oil feed kit. My racer doesn't seem to need it....it has plenty of oil under the valve cover.

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
I have a sneaking suspicion that some head gaskets may partially or totally block the oil galleries, because I would eventually get oil, but only at a very low pressure and small volume. I installed the feed kit from moss, although others sell it. We just had a thread on the subject, I just don't remember the title. I use it as cheap insurance, because it's not hurting anything and it makes sure that oil gets to the top. However, it can present another potential leak area, so keep that in mind ... I've had trouble sourcing the proper crush washers, which is a royal PITA. One bit of advice I got was 'buy a bunch.' No kidding, but what if you don't know WHERE to buy them? If anyone knows of a good source, because so far as I can figure, mcmaster doesn't have them, fastenal doesn't have them, and summit has aluminum ones, as opposed to formed copper/brass washers. The solid (dead soft) washers seem to be too hard for the very delicate banjo bolt. I'm still looking for formed washers, which would collapse more easily.

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
It seems that you could have that oil feed kit made locally at a hydralics house. Two "el" fittings with push-loc ends and a short piece of hose. What say you men? Think it would work? I wonder if they even make such fittings with SAE threads.

Also, my galleries seem to get pleny of oil, but my rockers not so much. I will dissassemble the rocker assembly this weekend and see what's up.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There MUST be some kind of restriction. Check the pedestals and shaft carefully. Was it disassembled to component bits? Just "thinking out loud" here but: could the "feed" pedestal have beem put in the wrong position? I can't recall the way they're "ordered" on your engine so mixing them up may not even be possible. Just a WAG.

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
I never tore into the rocker assembly, but all evidence indicates that the DPO did NOT believe in oil changes, so I think odds are good that there's some gunk in there.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There's yer answer!

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Upon closer inspection, the rocker assembly on my car was totally hammered. But the good news is the rocker assembly on my spare parts engine is in great shape. And now its on my car. No more "Clackity Clackity." We'll see if it helps Mr. Stubborn valve.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Can never have too many "spares!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ain't that the truth Doc.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've had folks walk up to my garage and proclaim: "You need to toss a bunch of that JUNK out!"

GGGRRRRRR!!!

Me: "Point out a piece of "junk" you think I should toss."

After that li'l drill and what the 'replacement cost' of whatever bits they chose to indicate is explained, the next mumble usually invokes E-bay in some form or other... BAH!