• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

U.S. minator supplier?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I'm in need of two 15x5.5" KN minator wheels for my TR4. I know I can get them from the majors like Moss, etc. but by chance is there a cheaper U.S. source? (Anyone want to sell me two used ones!)

Thanks,
Randy

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
minator? what are those? are those minilite copy's?
rob

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
They are the Minilite copies made by KN in the UK.

Randy,
Superlight wheels are less expensive. They're another "copy" I don't know if the differences between a Minator and a Superlight are subtle enough that you would consider mixing wheels on a single car.
An option would be to sell your minators and buy a set of Superlights.
My brother ordered a set of Superlights last week. They come with caps and lugs for less than the wheels alone from the major parts houses. Unfortunately we live 750 miles apart, otherwise I could photograph his Superlights next to my Minators for a comparison.

Attachments

• 175782-Minator.jpg
    175782-Minator.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 56

PeterK

Yoda
Superlights has a nice machined lip (like Panasports) whereas Minators are painted and clear coated. Also Minator lug holes require a non-standard sized shank lug nut. I drilled out my Minators to use McGard standard size lugs. Panasports are the lightest of the 3, next KN Minator(15x5.5), then Superlights (~18lbs/15x6)

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the comments.

Couple of things make me still in search of KN Minators:

The TR4 has clearance issues on the front wheels that a 4a and beyond don't have. At least that has been my big worry until I hear from someone with a 4 that can run a 6" rim.

The main thing though, is that I went bargain hunting one night on ebay and picked up two Minators. So they look really great but I still need to grab lug nuts and two more wheels.

Personally I like the Panasport and Superlight look better but I'm already down this path. I thought at one time I saw a note which had a link to a place in the Southwest that had better prices on KN wheels. But now I can't find it so it may have been my confused imagination.

Thanks again,
Randy

mike crane

Randy
Both Moss and Victoria British have the KN wheels. I believe TRF has them now. I bought a set on eBay sans lug nuts. Ordered the lugs from VB. KN has a website-you can google it. My wheels do not have a lip around the edge. Some pictures show a lip and some don't. The KN site may have specific part numbers so that you can match your set.
Best of luck
Mike Crane

PeterK

Yoda
I had clearance issues on my 4A with the KN Minators 15x5.5 (don't think that they make a 6" width). Thge inside of the rim hit the upper control arm at lock, so I had to radius the sharp edge on the rear upper a-arm AND use a 1/8" spacer. The Minators are now on the 3A but that required a 5/16" spacer on the rear to avoid the leaf spring rubbing on the tires (205/60x15 Yokohama AVS).

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Wow, I'm surprised you had trouble with clearance on your 4a - I thought with the suspension changes the 4a was in better shape than the 4.

I dry fit my 5.5" rims to the front, without tires, and things were tight but everything appeared to clear.

I will also have to check a little carefully on the variations of the KN wheel from the previous note. My two wheels have a small lip on the edge I think so I may not match perfectly. Didn't really buy them for show anyway I just wanted something wider for normal driving to get away from 165-15's.

Thanks all,
Randy.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You may be confusing the Superlight dealer in Phoenix with a KN dealer. Pack Racing Products. He has very good prices on the Superlights.
KN makes a 6" wheel. I don't think any of the usual suppliers in the US carry them. Mine are 6". The previous owner ordered them from Rimmer Brothers several years ago when they ran a free shipping special. He said they eliminated free shipping on wheels shortly after his purchase.
I attached a picture of one of my KN's to my earlier post.