• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Carpet Kit supplier

podracer169

Greetings,
I've been searching on this forum for awhile now looking for past posts with carpet supplier information. Basically I am interested in hearing from others on their experiences with carpet kits they've ordered and who they ordered them from. I notice that Moss has a kit but I have not seen the material personally (they say they do not offer the free sample card anymore). The kit is for my 60 BT7.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Steve

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
I guess it depends on how particular you are. I personally prefer "Heritage Upholstery & Trim" Blaine, WA, for all interior soft parts. 1-360-332-3022. They do charge a bit more sometimes.
D

OP
P

podracer169

wow - that was fast! I just called the guys over at Heritage - they are sending me a sample kit asap. They sound like they know what they are doing. Thanks again for the information.

Steve

MotorHead67

Jedi Hopeful
Steve,
Got my carpets from Heritage too. I opted for the wool carpets and, though not original, they're beautiful.
You should know that the installation takes a bit of cutting and fitting and for that Heritage supplied installation instructions/pictures by email.
I also had them cover my seats in leather. I wish I could say that I was happy with the results. I'll tell you about it if you like.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well MH67, if you still are not satisfied with your seats I think any top upholstery shop could sort them out for you.Yeah, I know the additional cost is a pain.But it wont run as high as the initial effort.---Keoke

mh67,ive tried redoing interior stuff myself and can tell you, as simple as that sort of project appeares, especially the seats,the subtile nuonces of stretching,bending and otherwise properly fitting material components particularly leather,is a trained skill,not often learned at first attempt,i hesitate to agree with my dear friend KEOKE but hes correct. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
mh67,ive tried redoing interior stuff myself and can tell you, as simple as that sort of project appeares, especially the seats,the subtile nuonces of stretching,bending and otherwise properly fitting material components particularly leather,is a trained skill,not often learned at first attempt,i hesitate to agree with my dear friend KEOKE but hes correct. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I've seen both professional and DPO installed interiors and while the uncomplicated things like carpets and side panels are do-able I'm intending to buy the materials for the seats and have a local shop whose work I've seen do the job, when I get to that point....

One big part of any restoration is knowing your own limits....

MotorHead67

Jedi Hopeful
Actually the seats LOOK GREAT. Sitting in them is another story.
Maybe you guys can help with the problem…
On the BJ8 seats there is a half circle section at the top of the seat back. On any original seat that I’ve seen, this area is padded to be flush with the seat back. On my newly upholstered seat, the half circle part is padded so that it extends from the seat back. This has the affect of pushing my back forward toward a fetal position, if you will. Uncomfortable. I’m wondering if I’m the only one with this problem.

Country flag
MH676, mine do the same thing. I think the Moss foam is plumper (fatter). My wife folds a towel for long rides. I think time will take care of it.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
One of the nice things about Heritage is that they will depart from stock kits if you have a need for something special. I modified a Moss FG 6-cylinder side-shifter tunnel to use in conjunction with the Smitty's/Toyota 5-speed conversion. Heritage sent me a 100 capet kit but patterned the tunnel cover to fit a 3000 Mk I and ran the seam down the left side along the curve. It turned out terrific.

MotorHead67

Jedi Hopeful
Micheal,
Heritage wasn't willing in my situation. I wrote to them to request that they rework the seats- at my cost- the salesman replied:
"I presented your case here to the owner of the company. He repeated to me once again "that we only do things exactly as original, and do not do any custom work". If you still want to go ahead with it, he suggests that you find the best upholsterer you can to do the work"
So, I guess, that's as far as I can go with them. I don't have the original upholstery, so I can't show them how wrong I think they are. I guess I'll look for someone nearby to correct it.
Tahoe Healey says that the Moss kit is the same, so it makes me wonder.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Micheal,
Heritage wasn't willing in my situation. I wrote to them to request that they rework the seats- at my cost- the salesman replied: "I presented your case here to the owner of the company. He repeated to me once again "that we only do things exactly as original, and do not do any custom work".

[/ QUOTE ]

I dealt with the owner directly on the telephone, explaining to him the reason why I needed what I sought--I can't remember his name but he was most helpful. Now understand that I was technically not asking them to do custom work so much as to insert one piece for which they already had the pattern as a part of my kit (in other words, substituting the 6-cylinder tunnel piece for the 4-cylinder tunnel piece), so maybe that is why I got him to go along with my request.

It might be worth a try to bypass the sales person and call directly--and please feel free to use my name and example in your conversation with him.

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Thought I would bring back this old thread to see if anyone has any updated information.

I'm looking for just a carpet set (seats come later) for my BJ8. I'm waiting on samples from Moss and Phoenix, currently have a sample from Heritage. I would think that the actual material will likely be similar (Moss' possibly lower quality). Can anyone describe what the differences are between the kits? My main concern is that it fits properly and is ready to install when I receive it without needing customization.

Thanks!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Brandon. I think that there can be some variation in carpet kit quality between the sources. However, the large price difference in carpeting the car is in the choice of carpet material itself.---Fwiw--Keoke