• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tyre [tire] storage question.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I am building racks to get various sets of wheels and tyres out of the way; should I store them flat or vertical as they do at a tyre store?
Or does it not matter?
Simon, (tired.)

Hi Simon, That question reminds me of the last time i was at the local tire warehouse, they took me upstairs....tires were everywhere...flat, vertical, in piles, insideout and upsidedown....may it doesnt matter.

Found this: https://www.1010tires.com/tiretech.asp#storage

Tire Storage

Storing Winter Tires
The best place to store winter tires is in a cool, dry location. (Basement, or possibly a garage). You can lay them down flat, stacked on top of each other no taller than 4 high. This offers the most support and should eliminate any fitting problems the following fall. We also recommend that you return to the store/dealer from where you purchased your tires from and ask for storage bags. This will protect the tires from natural ozone in the air which can cause tire rubber to dry and crack. Wrap each tire individually and stack them. Stored tires should be kept away from electric motors or welders as these produce ozone which will damage the rubber over time.

also a pretty good pdf file here: https://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/tsb-112102.pdf

mark

Ken G

Jedi Hopeful
I was interested to note in one of the cited references that the suggested tyre rotation patterns all involved swaps between right and left. There was then the note: "Of course, if your vehicle has different sizes of tires from front to back, or if your tires are directional, these may not work."

I had heard that with modern tubeless tyres (as opposed to the tubed tyres on my 1925 Rover!), you should not reverse the direction of rotation. That note implies that there are such things as "directional tyres", but I would have assumed that they would always be clearly marked, and hence that any tyres not so marked could and should be swapped left to right. Any comments?

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 and 1996 BMW 318ti (San Francisco)

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
you are correct. directional tires are clearly marked and usually will have a tread pattern that makes sense to travel in one direction. these should only be rotated front to rear. most other modern radials can be swapped side to side. the main problem came in the early days of radials when they were prone tocause problems when the rotation was reversed but the newer tires don't usually have those problems.

Rippthrough

The last set of tyre I stored I smeared in some thin petrolium jelly. Stopped the rubber cracking. Just remeber to give them a thorough wash before use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif