• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Turn signal problem

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The previous owner fitted a 4 way hazard warning system to my recently acquired BJ8.
All of a sudden the light on the hazard warning switch has started flashing in sync with the beeper when I indicate a left turn. The right turn doesn't flash the hazard light. Both turn signals and indicator lights flash correctly and the hazard system still does what it's supposed to do.
The system looks rather complicated. The green wire from the B terminal on the flasher unit has been routed to a relay under the dash from which a host of wires go off to the hazard switch and goodness knows where else. Any suggestions as to how to check this out would be welcomed.
Thanks
AJ

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi AJ,

Although your Hazzard Flasher implementation approach can vary, often it will utilize a separate power source and flasher which is then plugged into convenient line connections leading to the left and right side signal lights (as would be at the base of the steering column). The reason for the separate flasher and power source is to bypass the directional switch circuitry and allow single point activation.

My first thought is that you have a ground short (possibly at the signal light) that is feeding back through the flasher circuity looking for a ground. This could be at one of the left side bulbs.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
M

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks very much for your response. I've been tracing the wiring. I downloaded the instructions from the Moss site for the Lucas Hazard Warning Kit.
You are correct, the flasher unit requires a direct 12V supply. I will fuse this line (10Amp US/20A UK). Using the BJ8 MkIII wiring diagram, the Green wire to the flasher B terminal is removed and a green/purple wire from the Lucas Switch is connected to it. Another green/purple wire from the Lucas Switch is then connected to the removed Green wire. A green/white wire from the Lucas Switch is then connected to the car's green/white Left Hand circuit and a green wire from the Lucas Switch is connected to the car's Right Hand green/red circuit.
I dismantled both front light units yesterday, cleaned everything up and replaced contacts with dielectric grease. No change. Perhaps it's a rear light. I'll do them later today and take another look for bad ground connections.
Again thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll report back when I've done the back lights.

Rgds from sunny Cotswolds UK AJ

OP
M

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Just checked all the grounding fore and aft and seems OK. Disconnected the Green/White wire at the flasher and the light and checked for continuity and grounding of the G/W wire and it seems OK. I did however notice that after disconnecting the G/W and Grnd wires from the light and testing across them with an ohm meter, I got continuity. I guess that must mean that there's a connection between G/W and the Gnd wire somewhere in the Lucas switch or the flasher unit. That's about the limit of my electrical competency so I've decided to fit a fuse in the supply live and ignore the light on the Lucas switch until I can get an auto electrician to look at it. Thanks for you help.

AJ