• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Triumphs are like a box of chocolates, you never k

skikir

Jedi Hopeful
Recently, I tore down my engine. When I bought the car it was a project. Looking under the hood there was a six cylinder as it should. When I got it home and looked at the serial numbers I found the engine serial was that of a GT6+ (MKII). Oh, well. But I had another rusted out TR6 with a good engine so that was not a problem then. The GT engine always had a weak cylinder but I drove it anyway since I had planned to rebuild the TR6 engine and replace the GT6 engine with the proper one in time. Well time passed and the TR engine never got started and the GT engine got weaker and knocked pretty bad when started. So I decided to do a quickie in car repair of the GT engine. I planned to just check valves and replace the rings and the bearings just to keep it alive for the summer while I worked on the TR engine. Along the way I "accidently" bought a rebuilt GT6 head on ePay. My last bid was supposed to be $126.40 but late night fumble fingering turned it into a bid of $1264.00 which resulted in a winning bid of $260 delivered. Still not bad for a completely rebuilt head and would make the fix easier and more complete.

So, I pull the head, drop the pan and see a bunch of piston ring parts at the bottom. Oh oh. Pulling the pistons I see they are .020 over size and the bearings are .020 under size. Someone's been hear before! Looking at the pistons, # 5 has the compression ring grooves on one side all missing and only the oil control rings in place. That's why it never burned oil. I notice a part number on the piston that made it a TR6 piston. Hmm. Remember, TR and GT6 engines have the same cylinder bore. What is a TR6 piston doing in a GT6 engine with a GT6 head on it? Then I measure the stroke. 4.77 inches as I measure it. TR6 crank. Hmm. I check the head part numbers and figure that my GT6 MK2 engine was rebuilt with a TR6 crank and pistons and used a late large combustion chamber GT6 head that used domed pistons with the flat TR6 pistons resulting in a fairly high compression ratio TR6 engine. Luckily, I had to figure all this out since the ePay head was a 9.25 compression head in the 2 liter and would have given a compression ratio in the 2.5 liter engine of ohhhh, about in the low 20s:1. Diesl TR6 anyone? Luckily the cylinder bores are very good shape and just needs some honing and I found a place that would sell me a single piston for $60. I should be back on the road soon with my GTR6 engine. Anyone need a nicely rebuilt GT6+ MKII cylinder head? $265 delivered.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
You'd probably sell it quickly with a new thread titled "GT6 head for sale, ebay mistake" and pictures to show how nice it looks.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Skikir- I think I have the same head on my 6. I got it from Ted

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You know, the website I can't get on anymore:smile:

OP
S

skikir

Jedi Hopeful
Shot myself in the foot on this one! I had too many things on my mind and didn't think about the $60 to Texas from Oregon. Luckily he wasn't in the UK!

davidk

Jedi Trainee
Well, Triumphs are like a box of chocolates....I received Skikir's head in good condition. Since I had my original head off the engine, I decided to measure piston travel. Right at 3.75 inches! It appears that my GT-6 block (KD stamping) also has a TR-6 crank.

So the big question...does piston stroke affect combustion ratio? I always thought it was only determined by the head, not the piston travel. So, will this shorter head work on my TR-6 (sort of) engine, or will it become a diesel? Thanks to all.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Run Forest!!! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
David- call Ted on all that. He has the answers