• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New to Triumphs

Broke

Freshman Member
I picked up 2 Mk2 GT6s and have a few questions.

Is a fiberglass hood/fenders at all desirable or rare?
and whats the best site to order parts from?

Thanks,
James

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy James,

The answer to both your questions is "NO"; Unless perhaps you plan on racing.

You can virtually ord. anything from "Moss Motors, Victoria British, The Roadster Factory". Those are probably your best bet. "Moss Motors" is located in "Goleta, CA" (1-800-667-7872).

Have Fun,

Russ

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome to the party, James!

Don't know about the rarity of fiberglass body parts, but I think the consensus is that, given the choice, metal bits are the way to go.

As Russ says, "The Big Three" are good suppliers. Another choice is Spitbits.

And, of course, this site is a wealth of info and camaraderie. And we ~need~ pictures!

:cheers:
Mickey

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Welcome aboard the good ship LBC! :savewave:

If you do not find what you need or like what you find at the big three or four, ask. There are some smaller "specialty" sources for wiring, engine parts and the like.

There is a lot of experience on this forum and no matter what you are doing someone here has done it before.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Two of "The Big Three" - Moss and TRF - Don't offer a catalog for your GT6. While both stock items that you may need, it can be difficult to determine what parts from them will bolt up to your cars. Until you get familiar with your GT6's, it's a lot easier shopping with Spitbits and Victoria British. Both have excellent catalogs with drawings. You'll also find there are a good number of specialty suppliers/re-builders offering needed services for your vehicles.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Welcome and we are happy to see someone with GT6s.

I have been using Victoria and British parts Northwest and a junk yard at teamtriumph.com for used parts and he does have some new parts as well.

You will need to post some pictures of your new cars and let us know what you plan to do with them. (Race, stock, daily driver)

Good luck. Tom

OP
Broke

Broke

Freshman Member
I'm planning on picking them up today so there will be plenty of pictures to come. And thanks for all the great replies!

-James

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Did you find them on craigslist?

- Doug

R

RonMacPherson

A major part supplier, that gets lost in the shuffle, but I think definitely warrants calling anytime you have a parts need for a Triumph is Ted Schumacher at TSI Imports in Ohio.
An old time racer, who sells to TRF...

He does have a web site, but is not much into computers. So best to call him. His facility is not overmannned(but well stocked), so occasionally when he answers the phone his first response may come off as "gruff". Once you get talking to him, he softens up..

I put him at the top of my list, just after BPNW...
Especially when it comes to shipping charges. He sends priority mail..

JImEgan

Midlife Classic Cars has the parts book for the GT6. It is easier to see the part and number to order correctly.

The address is:

Midlife Classic Cars
4233 Carol Ann Drive
Charlotte, NC 28215

Jim

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome!

SpitBits is another good source, located not too far away from you in NorCal. Ted at TSI, Moss and the others mentioned are all good.

Eager to see the pictures, and as you've probably already figured out there are lots of good folks here who have a huge amount of knowledge.

Keep us posted.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tdskip said:
as you've probably already figured out there are lots of good folks here who have a huge amount of knowledge.

:iagree:

And you might even find some of it useful! :devilgrin:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
RonMacPherson said:
A major part supplier, that gets lost in the shuffle, but I think definitely warrants calling anytime you have a parts need for a Triumph is Ted Schumacher at TSI Imports in Ohio.
An old time racer, who sells to TRF...
Oddly enough, he even sells some stuff to UK suppliers. In some odd cases, you might well find that something you order from a UK supplier is now making its second (or third) trip across the ocean. :wink:

OP
Broke

Broke

Freshman Member
AngliaGT said:
Did you find them on craigslist?

- Doug

The cars actually belonged to my friends neighbor who passed away a few weeks ago. His brother needed the cars gone so I offered him $750 for a complete car that was parked running and an almost complete parts car. I know nothing about Triumphs but I figured $750 was a good deal.

JKB1957

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Welcome Broke. I have used all of the suppliers mentioned, with the exception of Brit. Vic., and all of them are very helpful and will go out of their way to help. Since you are in the area look up the Triumph Travelers club, they're a good group of people who are very free with advice and suggestions. Look forward to seeing you out on the Bay Area roads in the future.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Maybe I overlooked this in someone's post, but BPNorthwest is a good source too. And they advertise in the forum, so they help sponsor. Glad to see several more Bay Area Triumphs coming to life!

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/

alfred2

Freshman Member
I have found vicky b to be the most reliable for my GT6+.They do not have knowledgeable advisors on hand but I have had them really work hard to help me with problems. I am favoring them because they are only a couple of hours away. Moss would only tell me "we do not have GT6 parts". there are a few parts from their spitfire catalog that interchange. The worst problem that I had rebuilding mine was that many suppliers do not know that there are major differences between the GT6 and the Spitfire. The changes in the middle of the mark 2 production has caused me a few headaches. Enjoy your new headaches.

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jeff Zorn at lbcarco.com has always been top notch for me. He mostly distributes Moss parts at a discount (So you shop using the Moss catalog, but then put the order in with him), but he's got other sources as well. He'll work his butt off to make you happy. As long as I don't need stuff super fast, he's my first go to guy. Otherwise, or for things Moss doesn't carry, I use Vicky Brit or Spitbits most often. VB has annoyed me in the past with some lacking customer service, but they're often the cheapest prices. For carb stuff, I often use Joe Curto. He's a character, but he knows his carbs!