• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

triplex logo location

markshaw

Can anyone confirm the location of the early triplex logo on a 100-6 windshield? I have recreated the logo from my original TR3A however I am not sure if the location would be the same (top right corner). Thanks Mark Shaw

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Mark all the ones I have seen of the early type are located at the top center of the windscreen.However, there are two Triplex Logos.---Fwiw---Keoke

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Mark,

The following link has is a picture of a Triplex logo top center on a BJ7. How are you planning to apply the logo? (I've heard glass bead blasting works but don't know the best way to make a mask).

https://iai.heig-vd.ch/~fwi/cars/AHbj7/interior.htm

Cheers,
John

mark, there is a kit used to put designs on glass shower doors, a friend of mine and his wife recently used one that was ordered through a magazine it does work and looks very much like what they used on the windscreen. but as john loftus mentioned how would you mask/template such a small thing,if i was going to try this id take a really good digital picture of one then put it on a good copy machine,get a very good magnif. glass and a brandy new set of exacto knives, the attch. shows the one in the center of the wind sceeen on my bj7- looking at the pict. john loftus posted it appears theres a slight variation of placement from one windscreen to another mine looks to be a bit higher up then johns pict. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Attachments

• 236799-MVC-022S.JPG
    236799-MVC-022S.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 98

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Somewhere I have seen acid etch kits for doing this kind of stuff, however I bet it was done with a blaster of some sort at the factory. That's what I have see PPG use anyway.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
NO Anthony, they do not vary and are all located about 1" below the top windscreen chrome bar. I think that the apparent error in this case is just the camera angle used.---Keoke

keoke,we all recognize how "few" things vary from healey to healey aha! the scotch tape i used to secure the penny in my photo is a standard 1/2" wide as you can see it just about fits between the bottom of the windscreen frame and the top of the triplex logo, another method that could be employed to reproduce the stamp/etching/logo, would be to send a picture of it to a company that makes "decals"-"tranfers" but that might get a bit pricey, after all its a healey money should be no object! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 237134-MVC-022S.JPG
    237134-MVC-022S.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 98

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Anthony !, Anthony !, What am I gonna do wid you ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. That is my story and I am sticking to it,because I used the chrome bar as the reference point not[ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif] the rubber bead.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

keoke,o.k. so i guess the rubber bead is also 1/2" wide?- ya godda stop buying you measuring devices from "the discount house of rulers" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Anthony,
Can you take a really good picture of your triplex logo, perhaps with black paper behind it? That will give me something to go by to recreate the artwork (or if Mark is willing to share his artwork that would be cool). The photo doesn't need to be straight, just high res and in focus. I have a lead on materials used to make etch and sandblast masks through the photo process and would like to experiment a bit. If it works I'll make you a beer mug with Triplex logo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
keoke,o.k. so i guess the rubber bead is also 1/2" wide?- ya godda stop buying you measuring devices from "the discount house of rulers" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Well your tape may be 1/2" wide but an American penny is 0.752" in diameter and it just about fits between the rubber and the logo.Try it!---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

keoke,ill do better then that attch. its not you or your ruler its the variation in these things.

Attachments

• 237340-MVC-024S.JPG
    237340-MVC-024S.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 103

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well like I said 7/8" is about 1" below the chrome bar--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Well like I said 7/8" is about 1" below the chrome bar--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] keoke,with that level of accuracy consider yourself lucky youll never be allowed to hang curtains for my wife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

john loftus,sorry,got into a small yellow liquid spraying contest with the old man (keoke). high res. photo to follow, need to use my sons machine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Anthony,

You should know by now that you can never win those "contests" with the keokster. His 'stream' is never ending. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Please send them high res pictures to loftusdesign@cox.net and I will be eternally grateful.

Cheers,
John

john, will do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

OP
M

markshaw

Thanks all for the picturs etc. I will be happy to provide art work to those who want it. I will get from the individual who helped and try my best to put a link to the information. The only problem is myne is dated for 1958.
Two final questions. First is the etching on the outside or the inside of the glass and second is it readable from the outside or the inside?
Thanks Mark Shaw

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Mark,

I have original Triplex glass on the side vent windows and the etching is on the outside but it also reads from the outside. The windshield examples I've seen show it reversed when viewed from the outside. I'm sure Anthony and Keoke will chime in on which side it is etched (hopefully they will agree or watch out where you go and don't you eat the yellow snow./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Thanks for the offer on the artwork .. please forward it to my email above. I can always change the date as needed for you or anyone else. I'm out of town for a few days but will check this thread on the weekend.

Cheers,
John

john, my windscreen is etched on the "outside" but is read from the "inside", i tried taking several high res. pictures last night under varying lighting conditions and couldnt get a single one clear of shadows,reflections etc, tonight im going to tape the area containing the logo, spray it with a release agent "pam" and fill the area with silicone caulk in an effort to create a "rubber stamp" that can then be used with an ink pad to render faithfull copys, dont try to stop me! i have to try this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif