• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB British Leyland cast logo placement on MGB

Hoosier

Freshman Member
Does anyone know where the British Leyland cast logo plate was placed on the 1980 MGB's? A link to the Moss web site that shows a picture of the logo is included below. The Moss web site says....

"...We took original samples and matched both the color and the design to get accurate reproductions of the two most popular versions of these emblems. Both feature self-adhesive backing for easy installation on the original fender location. In 1972 the cast version was introduced and was typically seen on the left hand fender of LHD cars..."

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

https://mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=66397

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The one on the passenger side was on the car when I bought it in 1978. It was a one owner car. A doctor bought it for his daughter for collage. I have no idea why she would have had it added, but you never know. Being the car had one on each side, I replaced both during restoration. Right or wrong, to me, it balances the general appearance. PJ

No, as I have been asked, the little white dots are not blemishes in the paint on the door, their reflections.

BLlogopside.jpg

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Personally, I would remove them from any vehicle that I owned. BL gave MG the shaft!
Cheers,
David
From what I can see, that is a nice looking motor, Paul.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Grantura_MKI said:
Personally, I would remove them from any vehicle that I owned. BL gave MG the shaft!

Yeah, sticking those emblems on an MG IS kind of like the B'nai Brith putting a swastika on their letterhead..... :nonono:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

Those things are on my toilet and th' toolbox... that'n with a BOLT thru it. Leyland did nothing for BMC's product. They're why the English auto industry is in the shape it's in NOW.

Now it's happenin' domestically. Doomed to repeat...

Country flag
DrEntropy said:
:lol:

Those things are on my toilet and th' toolbox... that'n with a BOLT thru it. Leyland did nothing for BMC's product. They're why the English auto industry is in the shape it's in NOW.

Now it's happenin' domestically. Doomed to repeat...

It just occurred to me....great failures are often repeated yet great successes rarely so.....why is that?

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmm......."

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Or a black hole.

...oh, WAIT!!!

naahhh.... one sucks, th' other blows. :devilgrin:

A

aerog

Please keep the thread in-line with answering the actual question. Straying into comparing the logo to body parts or politics is immature and unnecessary.

Thanks.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Okay, your definitive answer..... The 1980 MGB never had those little BL logo plates. The practice of fixing them to the front passenger side fender was discontinued in December of 1977. I had both '79 and 1980 models, and neither car had them. I also verified the information with Clausager's book, "Original MGB"

Hope that helped. Saved you a couple of bucks, anyway. :wink:

MGA75002

Hey Folks, I truly appreciate your BL sentiments. I was always a Triumph person, and we had our own set of problems, before and after BL. But, I have been reading MG history lately, and BL and BMC <span style="font-weight: bold">SHAFTED</span> MG, and always to the betterment of Austin Healey. The dumb b------s didn't even realize that the two cars were NOT in competition with each other.

Imagine, the MGA was ready to go in 1952, and they SAT on it for THREE YEARS, to promote the Healey 100-4. So, the TR2 comes out in July of 1953 (taken out on the Jabbeke highway, and turned 124+ mph with a stock engine and fiberglass tonneau and full length undercarriage), while BMC is sitting there with its 63-hp-80-mph raggedy-ass MGTF. [No offense, TF owners]

Imagine what "might have been" in the evolution of the MG sportscar if the MGA had hit the streets the same time as the TR2. Granted, they were still not in the same racing class (1488cc vs 1991cc), but the MGA was A GENERATION AHEAD of the TF, and would have drawn more potential TR buyers than the TF did.

As you old-timers will remember (I am discounting the racing and rallye crowd), we were never really in direct competition with each other, as there was such a disparity in engine size, performance, and price. And this manifested itself in the pecking order of the "first wave": MGA deferred to Triumph, who deferred to Healey, who deferred to Jaguar, etc, etc.

I really miss those days. The different clubs don't talk to each other here in the DFW area. Too bad, they could put on some great joint events.

Whoops, sorry for the soap-box speech, but I was overwhelmed to hear that not just Triumph had a bone to pick with BL.

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I long ago removed and "cast" the BL logo plates from my '71 GT into a cardboard box labelled "MG parts".

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I restored antique cars, (American) show winners, long before I got hooked on these little British beasts and back then there were things affixed to some cars that were not in favor of most people, some were actually ugly, but seeing how that's how the cars came from the factory and that's what we were restoring them for, to look like new, every piece that they came with went on them. Some of those pieces, desirable or not, we had to have hand made. I don't get into politics about these cars, I thought we were here just to enjoy the hobby and be friendly about it! JMHO. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah! Like those big "V" emblems on Mustangs with "289" in 'em? Or th' Cobra "CS" ones?

..Jus' pushin' yer laig, Paul. It's all a matter of perspective.

MGA75002 said:
Hey Folks, I truly appreciate your BL sentiments. I was always a Triumph person, and we had our own set of problems, before and after BL. But, I have been reading MG history lately, and BL and BMC <span style="font-weight: bold">SHAFTED</span> MG, and always to the betterment of Austin Healey. The dumb b------s didn't even realize that the two cars were NOT in competition with each other.

Imagine, the MGA was ready to go in 1952, and they SAT on it for THREE YEARS, to promote the Healey 100-4. So, the TR2 comes out in July of 1953 (taken out on the Jabbeke highway, and turned 124+ mph with a stock engine and fiberglass tonneau and full length undercarriage), while BMC is sitting there with its 63-hp-80-mph raggedy-ass MGTF. [No offense, TF owners]

Imagine what "might have been" in the evolution of the MG sportscar if the MGA had hit the streets the same time as the TR2. Granted, they were still not in the same racing class (1488cc vs 1991cc), but the MGA was A GENERATION AHEAD of the TF, and would have drawn more potential TR buyers than the TF did.

As you old-timers will remember (I am discounting the racing and rallye crowd), we were never really in direct competition with each other, as there was such a disparity in engine size, performance, and price. And this manifested itself in the pecking order of the "first wave": MGA deferred to Triumph, who deferred to Healey, who deferred to Jaguar, etc, etc.

I really miss those days. The different clubs don't talk to each other here in the DFW area. Too bad, they could put on some great joint events.

Whoops, sorry for the soap-box speech, but I was overwhelmed to hear that not just Triumph had a bone to pick with BL.

<span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Well said, my man. Well said.</span></span>

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
Yeah! Like those big "V" emblems on Mustangs with "289" in 'em? Or th' Cobra "CS" ones?

I know where your coming from Doc! Cool! :jester:

I gave up restoring American cars for show when they got so technical in the judging, that they were measuring the intensity of the lights on the cars to determine if the wiring was the right size due to voltage drop. They even started counting the markings on the wire covering to see if the proper amount were in a measured space. It was all politics, started by wealthy car owners who never laid a hand on their cars and paid high bucks to have them restored. It got to the point where the judging was just a show to weed out the competition and for the public, as we knew every car and what position it would win after being, "judged", <span style="text-decoration: underline">before the show!</span> We used to be at Hershey show every year for a week, haven't been in a long time.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
DrEntropy said:

I know where your coming from Doc! Cool! :jester:

It was all politics, started by wealthy car owners who never laid a hand on their cars and paid high bucks to have them restored. It got to the point where the judging was just a show to weed out the competition and for the public, as we knew every car and what position it would win after being, "judged", <span style="text-decoration: underline">before the show!</span>

sounds like figure skating :jester:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And THIS is why Basil has a strict <span style="font-style: italic">no politics</span> policy! :wink: :jester:

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
MGA75002 said:

The other one that rankles is the MGB GT. Granted, by the time the decisions was made, the GT was a shadow of it's former self, basically an Austin Marina as far as mechanicals was concerned, and wouldn't pull the skin off the top of an even mildly firm tapioca pudding as far as acceleration was concerned, yet BLMC saw fit to kill the model in North America when it was still selling fairly well, in order to clear the field for the new (and execrable, sorry Triumph fans) TR-7 hard top. Idiots!

The point about the MG not being in the same class as the 4 cylinder TR is correct only as far as racing goes - they were indeed in different classes. The factory was more concerned with sales and there were only 3 classes - little bitty sports cars (Sprites and Spiwires) middle class (all MG and TR) and big bore (Healey and Jags) so the MG was seen as competition in the marketplace for the TR (talking about early 60s now).