• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Running Rough

BierRunner

Country flag
I've been driving my newly acquired TR6 (1976) for about five weeks now and I am noticing a little roughness at low RPMs that had not been there earlier. Not rough at idle, just not the same satisfying feeling as you accelerate that I had been getting. Once at a higher speed it seems fine.

I have been searching our forum (and google) and my guess is that the carburetors need to be tuned. I've watched some Youtube videos on this and it seems pretty straightforward. However, most advice says tune the carburetors after adjusting the timing which seems more complicated for an inexperienced mechanic like myself. I also read that bad timing shows itself at higher RPMs.

So, can I skip straight to the carburetor tuning or is that unwise?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Carbs don't go out of tune....If they performed fine earlier but not now, turning adjustment screws in an attempt to compensate for the malfunction is not the answer.
IF it's a carb problem, either an internal component has perished, exceeded it's lifespan OR some sort of contamination, debris or residual substance inside the carb is affecting it's ability to perform normally...IF it's a carb problem.

OP
BierRunner

BierRunner

Country flag
Carbs don't go out of tune....If they performed fine earlier but not now, turning adjustment screws in an attempt to compensate for the malfunction is not the answer.
IF it's a carb problem, either an internal component has perished, exceeded it's lifespan OR some sort of contamination, debris or residual substance inside the carb is affecting it's ability to perform normally...IF it's a carb problem.
Oh, I thought maybe the front and rear carbs might not be pulling at the same rate. Sorry if I used the word tune incorrectly. Ordered a Carburetor Synchronizer and a Zenith-Stromberg Mixture Tool from Moss Motors to check but haven't done anything yet.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
At least check the points in the distributor to see if they are pitted or need adjustment before you start messing with carbs.
Second it would also help if you can find a friend with a timing light to check the timing. That is a couple minute job.
Charley

tr6web

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Charley, is it possible to explain how to check the timing with a timing light?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Charley, is it possible to explain how to check the timing with a timing light?
To be totally truthful with you, I do not own a timing light but my friend does. And knows how to use it. So when I want it checked , I ask him and that is how I do it.
Years ago when I had a very simple one. I recall connecting it to #1 spark plug and had previously marked with white paint the pulley for the timing I wanted. Then start the engine point the light at the pulley and rotate the distributor until the timing light flashed on the painted timing mark.
The modern one my friend has reads the degrees directly on the "light". So it is,really easy to set it to whatever degrees you want.
Charley