• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Battery Box Replacement Question

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Guys,

Advice please as to how to weld in my new battery box. A few pics.

P1080866.jpg

P1080867.jpg

P1080869.jpg

Should I punch it along the flanges on the sides/bottom and plug weld it in from the top? Or, should I weld it from the inside of the car utilizing the holes that are allready there in the flange left over from where I drilled out the previous spot welds? I think that I am going to cut the top off to fit it where I cut the other one out.

Any other advice you would care to offer?

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
This is what Keith did: battery box install

I'm halfway through following his lead, but not at the bodywork stage and still nervous about my welding abilities. But sometime this year..

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks John, Randy and Keith.

Great job on the install Keith. Not sure what you decided to do in the end Randy but as you can see I am contemplating cutting the top of the box as you were and attaching it to the section that is remaining there as the metal is still good. Thanks also for the tips on checking the welds on the back tabs as well as the other missing T piece. If you look on my box under the label there are pieces of metal there.....what are those for?

Will post some pics soon of the install. Before I do the install though I need to clean up the interior bulkhead while I have the room and access.

Cheers,
David

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
David-

I'm leaning heavily to cutting the top of the box but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Not sure my welding skills are up to having that full flange tied in on the cowl without it being obvious.

Those extra pieces I believe go on the back side of the bulkhead near the top - you should have had them on your original body as well - maybe they are still there with the part you haven't cut out yet?

Randy

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Randy, will have to take a closer look at the back for those pieces. I think that I am less apt to screw it up if I cut the box vs putting the whole thing in (as long as I don't cut the box too short intially). I think I can do a series of small tacks across that piece that will grind out so it won't be noticeable in the end.

Cheers,
David

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Dave - I'm sending you the e-mails I just sent to Stan on this topic. Thes will go to your personal address at home.

Don Elliott

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Don, very helpful as always.

Cheers,
David

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.

I decided not to cut the box and therfore needed to remove the rest of the old box from the car.

A few pics from today.

P1080946.jpg

P1080947.jpg

P1080948.jpg

P1080950.jpg

Test Fit

P1080956.jpg

Will take more photos when I weld it in.

Cheers,
David

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Tr3aguy said:
Nice.....looks like a lot of extra welds tucked up under the scuttle....Must have taken a bit of time finding those.....

That's what has scared me away from attempting the same thing - but Keith did a great job with his that way and David is doing a great job as well. Now if I can just get either one of them to fly down to Houston..

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
David it sure is nice to see that you got the box in in one piece. It makes for a nice clean install. It looks like you used a different approach than I did. You removed the spot welds on the top and pushed the top of the firewall back.Either way it looks good.

Randy you can do this I'm sure. Just wire wheel the scuttle area and you will be able to see all the spot welds. You may even find a (G) in the area. Other wise you will have to make a butt weld 14" long. A few extra plug welds is alot easier to do. I do plan to be in Texas but not until 2012 for F1 race. PM me if you want and I will give you my phone number and I will walk you thru it.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
David, Thanks for posting all the pics. I'm still working on the bottom 1/8th of my car, so haven't gotten to the box. Kinda thought it would be a snap, before the pictures at least. Tom