• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Threaded rod to Assist TR3 Tub Placement

GerryL

Jedi Hopeful
I am at the point of needing to remove the TrR3 tub from the frame. I will be working by my self and will need to remove and replace the frame multiple times. Would it make the job easier to place threaded rod at body mounting points to serve as a guide?

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Gerry,

In my experience, I have found it easy enough without any rods.

If your handbrake is attached, you may want to dissconnect that for now as it is a bit of a jiggle to get the floor over it but it can be done. You also need to take the carbs or the intake off the car for clearance. I had put mine back on the engine for safe keeping but needed to remove them to get the body back on.

If your throttle shaft is still attached, keep an eye on that as well as it can get hooked on the block and bends easily.

I use my shop engine crane to manouver the body over the chassis and drop it down . I find that I can get it pretty close to where it needs to be by watching the bulkhead fit just behind the engine. As an FYI, I also have my chassis on it wheels on casters so I can easily move the chassis a little bit each way instead of having to swing the body.

I small shove of the tub can move it a little as need be to line things up once it is on the chassis.

Once I get mine on the frame, I generally add some fasteners to secure the body especially if I am doing panel gap work.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
M. Pied Lourd has it right. I'd add that you need to brace the door openings unless your inner sills, floors and door posts are absolutely solid. I also use a a couple long tapered punches to help the holes line up. The threads on the rod will interfere and the taper is handy to get things started. I lift mine with a couple of falls from the joists above. Tom

OP
G

GerryL

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for your advice. I had not thought of removing the emergency brake, but will now remove it. You have now added to my ever expanding shopping list. I will now have to buy car dollies in addition to a cherry picker.

Currently I have the car braced between the doors and a bar across the width of the car in the middle. I had planned to attaching the hoist at this cross bar. I have noticed that you have used the front and rear hinge mounting points for your lifting points. I was thinking that if I vary the length of the chain to the varying points I could also hold the car at an angle to do some of the body repairs.

Your thread Making Progress has been quite inspirational. At times, I be come very frustated at my lack of progress. The restoration process has been an emotional roller coaster.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Gerry,
It is certainly nice to have car dollies and an engine crane and Harbor Freight and the like have made them quite affordable (I'd also like a rotisserie). However, none of these are essential. Lifting the body, particularly with the bolt on panels off, is not as daunting as it would seem. I've done it alone with a couple of scissor jacks and 2 x 4s. Two people can do it manually, one end at a time. Four can lift it off and walk around with it. Same with lowering it back on. I don't mean to recommend any of these techniques but rather to point out how easy it really is.
I also agree with you on completely on M. Pied Lourd's thread and on restoration frustrations. Should I mention that the fun really begins after the body is off?
Tom

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, sometimes you can get a little down on the project. I find you really need to break it down into smaller parts and have a bunch of smaller accomplishments along the way.

Sounds like you have the door bracing tackled.

For my lifting points at the front I did use the hinge mounting points for the bonnet with an eye hook and large washers to spread the load on the inside of the tub. At the rear, I actually used some holes that had been drilled by a prior owner that had a giant roll bar mounted.

If you need to do some work underneath the car, you could prop it on an angled as you suggest and have it supported by both a chain and short lengths of wood.

Cheers,
David

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Agree with what has been said already. You can see some pictures of the setup I used to lift the body off the frame on the link in my signature for the TR3. Hopefully, there will be some body back on frame pictures pretty soon! Let me know if you would like to see some more pictures, and I'll find some more for you.

Cheers, Mike