• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rod & Main Bearings Recommendations

bigarestorations

Freshman Member
Country flag
After 2 1/2 year frame-off restoration on all but the engine, it's time! I have seen differences in brands of rod and main bearings discussed on the forums, but is there really one brand better than another? I would like to hear if someone, experienced with rebuilding, has an opinion. This is for a BJ8.
Thanks so much!
Bennet

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Regardless of what brand you use, I heartily recommend getting them coated before installing. Coated bearing shells will outlast anything (coated pistons are a good thing too).

These guys have been doing it for a long time and are highly regarded > Polymer Dynamics, Inc < . It's not very expensive when you consider the gains in lifespan.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Having built and ran multiple big Healey race engines for years, I'm not a fan of the King bearings available currently for our motors. I've sourced many correct NOS Vandervell bearings for my needs. The second best choice would be the AE made bearings. BoyRacer on this forum
(RIchard Mayer) had many sizes of rod and main bearings made for the big Healey 6, you can PM him for info.

OP
B

bigarestorations

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks Bob!
Having built and ran multiple big Healey race engines for years, I'm not a fan of the King bearings available currently for our motors. I've sourced many correct NOS Vandervell bearings for my needs. The second best choice would be the AE made bearings. BoyRacer on this forum
(RIchard Mayer) had many sizes of rod and main bearings made for the big Healey 6, you can PM him for info.
Thanks for the info! Will reach out to him. Have a great week!
Bennet

OP
B

bigarestorations

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for getting in touch! At the machine shop now. Will know soon which ones I'll need. The crank is original stock, so it will most likely need to be turned... we'll see... I'll be in touch as soon as I hear from them.
Thanks!
Bennet

Country flag
You'd be surprised; the original crankshaft for my 100/6 engine came back from the machinist std/std after just being polished. They're pretty tough. Although it's been AGES since I put the 3000 engine together that's currently in my car (since 1986) I believe that one came back std/.010.

I don't do batches of bearings as often as I used to, but I DO have some polymer-coated bearings already on hand. These were for personal stock, so if you're interested, once you know what size bearings you'll need, buy them from Richard (aka BoyrRacer) and if I have them, we can do an exchange + cost for the DFL (dry-film lubricant) coating.

Some examples...

Mostly Big Healey, including thrusts, and a single set of BMW S54 rod bearings (right above the "BU" & "RD" @ bottom-center)

IMG_3851.jpg

Rod bearing comparison: BMW 3.2 Ltr/315hp @ 8000 rpm vs Austin 3.0/117hp @ 4800 rpm (IIRC?). Parasitic drag, much?

IMG_3857.jpg

Pistons too!

IMG_5973-me.jpg

20230630100314-f14bd4e0.jpg

OP
B

bigarestorations

Freshman Member
Country flag
You'd be surprised; the original crankshaft for my 100/6 engine came back from the machinist std/std after just being polished. They're pretty tough. Although it's been AGES since I put the 3000 engine together that's currently in my car (since 1986) I believe that one came back std/.010.

I don't do batches of bearings as often as I used to, but I DO have some polymer-coated bearings already on hand. These were for personal stock, so if you're interested, once you know what size bearings you'll need, buy them from Richard (aka BoyrRacer) and if I have them, we can do an exchange + cost for the DFL (dry-film lubricant) coating.

Some examples...

Mostly Big Healey, including thrusts, and a single set of BMW S54 rod bearings (right above the "BU" & "RD" @ bottom-center)

IMG_3851.jpg

Rod bearing comparison: BMW 3.2 Ltr/315hp @ 8000 rpm vs Austin 3.0/117hp @ 4800 rpm (IIRC?). Parasitic drag, much?

IMG_3857.jpg

Pistons too!

IMG_5973-me.jpg

20230630100314-f14bd4e0.jpg
Thanks Randy! Great info! Looking forward to getting all back from Mach shop... they're pretty backed up here so it might be a little while before they're done... I'll be in touch.
thx! Bennet