• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

this just in: wife not crazy, fuel leak was real!

Steve1970

Country flag
so the wife's been on my ear about the smell of gasoline wafting from the garage every time she opens the door. i reassure her she just doesn't understand, its a 30 yr old british car, they all smell like that, blah blah blah.

yesterday now, my daughter and her friends said they could smell it from the other end of the driveway. the sensitive noses of seven yr olds, i rationalize to myself.

but i figure what the heck i'll give it a little troubleshooting. i start at the fuel tank and work my way to the front, tightening up a hose clamp here and there. when i finally get to the FUEL PUMP whose two mounting bolts are about 1-2 full turns from being properly torqued. and then i see the evidence.. droplets of fuel directly underneath the pump.

i replaced the pump a yr ago, perhaps i didn't torque it properly, maybe the lock washers are shot, maybe it's from sitting idle in the garage for the past five months.

tell the wife she was right? never, there'd be no living with her after that

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Steve1970 said:
...tell the wife she was right? never, there'd be no living with her after that

Don't even open up that can of worms

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Their always RIGHT even when their Wrong!

yesdear.jpg

SteveTR

Jedi Hopeful
My garage is surrounded in roses...

You cannot have enough flowers to soothe purchases and the fragrance wafts better than LBC odor.

Someone explain waft to those from Florida...

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just explain to her that she was RIGHT but that the leak was coming from HER car.... that should solve everything :jester:

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Gliderman8 said:
Just explain to her that she was RIGHT but that the leak was coming from HER car.... that should solve everything :jester:

ya that'll work!!!
just pour gas on the fire........lol'

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
kodanja said:
Gliderman8 said:

ya that'll work!!!
just pour gas on the fire........lol'

What are ya.... a man or a mouse? As for me, I wouldn't do it.... I'm a mouse since I know I'll never win that one :laugh:

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Yes, it does sound as though there is another problem - either a loose pipe or split diaphragm.

By the way, I would tell my wife that she was right and that she has saved my car from certain death by fire. The boost to her ego will get you much further than pretending nothing was wrong!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
NickMorgan said:
By the way, I would tell my wife that she was right and that she has saved my car from certain death by fire. The boost to her ego will get you much further than pretending nothing was wrong!

:iagree:

You get bunches of extra bonus points for that! :wink:

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
"If a man says something, in the forest, and there isn't a woman to hear it, is he still wrong?"

OP
Steve1970

Steve1970

Country flag
oh you should see the performance she gives when she graces her presence in the garage.. the coughing, fingers pinching her nose, waving her hand back in forth. always some pressing matter.. "the microwave is going on by itself", "the dog threw up on the couch", "i can't find the kids"...

GreenOne said:
I hate to say it but the 2 mounting bolts being loose will not cause a fuel leak, so you better keep looking. And if you are getting fuel dripping out of the fuel pump where it bolts to the block that definitely should not be, and there is an internal issue with the pump.

nooooooooo GreenOne, say it isn't so. i had seriously hoped that that was the problem, the gasoline odor has definitely subsided though. i suppose it could have been one of the hose clamps. or even better, the fuel is probably leaking into the side of the engine, now that i've got the pump bolts tightened to about 1000 pounds of pressure. always two steps fwd one step back

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Boy! I didn't read your first post carefully enough. The only thing that should come out of the gap between fuel pump and block -- as you've described it -- is oil. And with the gap you've described, I would expect to see a fair mess under that part of the motor.

Yet, you say there was fuel on the floor...

hmmmm

If GreeenOne's theory is correct, fuel will be inside the crankcase. If there's fuel on the floor, right under the fuel pump, check the torque on the compression fittings that are the inlet and outlet of the pump. Also the hose clamps nearby. Also check the torque on the ring of screws holding the top portion of the pump to the lower part.

Do as GreenOne said too: Check your oil for the presence of gasoline.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
As far as telling the wife there was a problem. I would do it now, because you know when the smell goes away, she will ask you what you did. Take the points you will get now, because later there will be none.

I have learned that the hard way.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
<span style="font-weight: bold">WE MEN SHOULD ENDEAR CHERISH & HONOR OUR WOMENS OPINONS.
NOT MAKE LIGHT HEARTED AMMUSMENT AT THEIR COST!!!</span>

pp.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #CC0000">Just Kiddin'</span></span>

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kodanja-
For a min., I thought you went to the dark side!

roofman

Jedi Knight
Don't tell her she is right, tell her she tipped over the gas can in the garage and the whole place could have gone up in flames. Then she will stay out of the garage and will be more likely to not find your stash of reciepts, or parts hiding in the garage. Tell her to stay out of your garage, and you will stay out of her kitchen and laundry room.
I gotta run, Mrs. Roofman is coming up the stairs now..........