• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 The inevitable happened, my wife drove the TR6

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Well, after many years, my wife decided that today was the day to relearn how to drive her car. That probably was because we put 150 miles in it together yesterday and she got the bug back.

So, we started with the basics and a reminder to me that I have to fix the choke cable adjustment later tonight when it cools down.

After a quick warm up and a few "Oops, I just hit the O/D switch instead of the turn signal", we were moving along the back roads of RI & MA at a healthy clip. She took to the new clutch flywheel like an old pro and did a great job at the wheel. She put a quick 50 miles on the car, we stopped for a nice ice cream cone and back to the garage. A very nice day, indeed.

Don't let anyone kid you, that aluminum flywheel is the best bolt on horsepower that you can get. You can feather the car away from a stop sign with hardly any throttle and shifting is as smooth as silk.

So, now I can finally set back and enjoy the scenery on some of these road trips.

:winner1:

G

tosoutherncars said:
Only one problem... pretty soon she'll want her own! :smile:

I think that used to be her own. Paul, did you bother to change the title over before you did all that work? You might check.

G

94% of all TR6s sold to guys. I gotta meet your old lady, Paul!
What a woman. Mine won't even ride in mine without a lot of coaxing.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]did you bother to change the title over before you did all that work? [/QUOTE]

Nope. It's still in her name. Original bill of sale and title in her name. I'm just the caretaker and majority driver.

She never questions a bill, I don't question the title.

tomshobby

Yoda
Glad to see that Paul, I can say Shirley and I enjoy our car more when she can drive also.
Shirley liked to drive it until her knee would not allow. Hoping her new knee recovers so che can operate the clutch again. It would make some of our longer trips easier and she could take it out on her own once in a while like she used to.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom,

I hope that she gets that knee back in operation soon.

Due to the fact that I drive about 40,000 miles per year for business and I love driving the TR6, it's going to be nice to just sit back and look at the trees, beaches and ocean views for a change.

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior
Now you have an excuse to buy another TR! One for you, one for her!

My wife doesnt like driving my 6... she says the clutch hurts her legs when she pushes it, because it needs to go in so far before it catches.

I think the clutch is fine.

So now my wife has been throwing around a car for herself in the last week or so: Spitfire. So "I: may end up being a two Triumph owner!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just a thot; a larger bore MC (giving more effort but less pedal travel) would be a lot cheaper than another Triumph.

Or, Steve Hedke at British Pacific wrote many years ago of converting a TR6 to an automatic transmission ... I've lost track of who owns it now but the car is still around and still has it's Borg Warner automatic, so it must have been a pretty successful conversion.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
My wife learned to drive a standard shift car on the TR6 and the original clutch lasted almost 55,000 miles. Part of the deal was that the salesman had to teach her how to drive it.

Actually, I was amazed how good it was when we took it out to install the overdrive. If not for that, it would probably have been in until I did the engine over.

The thrust washers were worn about .002-.003" when we torn it down.

She noticed how easy it is to pull out with the new aluminum flywheel and the clutch is not nearly as hard to push as the original.

I doubt that I'll have another sports car for awhile. I really want to enjoy this one and I'd want a 62 Vette or early XKE and that just ain't gonna happen unless I pick the lottery numbers correctly.