• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stolen Car Notice

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The sad thing is the crooks will keep the trailer and push the car into a lake somewhere...it's too rare for them to risk keeping the car. Real shame....

John

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Makes my stomach hurt, just thinking about what these folks must feel. I assume the trailer was locked, so whoever stole it knew what was inside.

D

Deleted member 8987

Or, they didn't know, maybe thought it was a dragster, since that's what was painted on the stern, and Wells racing, figured they'd snatched a racing vehicle.

Country flag
Unfortunately, thats an easy car to part out. Fenders in VB catalog are almost a $1000 each. I get $300/400 for a good used one. It takes time but you could get $4/5K easy out of the car if all the parts are good. Sandblast and prime the sheetmetal, no one would ever know.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
GBRandy said:
Ouch. No insurance?...

Every auto policy I have had (including collector car policies) automatically covers purchased cars for some intital period of time, usually 30 days. I believe this is irrespective of notifying the carrier or agent. Hopefully they have looked into this.

Sad tale -- anyone who parks a trailer, whether on the road or in the backyard, should have a way of disabling it.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
My Hagerty policy covers additional collector cars automatically for the first 30 days after purchase. My regular car coverage covers any car for the first 30 days. Hopefully they will contact their agent.

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
Owch =( Such a gorgeous TR3 too. The only color combo I like better is black with red interior. The last time i bought a car, i called to get insurance on it before I even drove it home. The person who bought my TR7 did the same as soon as we got it to his house and started doing paperwork for the transfer.

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
GBRandy said:
Ouch. No insurance?...

Every auto policy I have had (including collector car policies) automatically covers purchased cars for some intital period of time, usually 30 days. I believe this is irrespective of notifying the carrier or agent. Hopefully they have looked into this.

Sad tale -- anyone who parks a trailer, whether on the road or in the backyard, should have a way of disabling it.

True.... 30 days coverage while you make copies of appropriate documents & necessary appraisals.

Want to avoid having your trailer stolen? keep it locked to your truck. :smile: At least it will slow them down.

billspit said:
I doubt that holds true for collector cars.

I would assume a reasonable person would call their agent to get coverage and supply a VIN number once they paid real money for a car.

If the response is "we'll cover it when you get home"...RUN! Even if you trailer it....get a different agent / carrier. What if the trailer hitch broke and the trailer rolled over? Or someone stole the trailer :wink: ....Etc etc etc....

Sad tale on that Craigslisting....

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
My Hagerty policy covers additional collector cars automatically for the first 30 days after purchase. My regular car coverage covers any car for the first 30 days. Hopefully they will contact their agent.

That's good to know. I know my regular policy covers me if i buy a car, but i still would tell him when I was going to buy another.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
With the demand for British cars, I think it could be shipped overseas and sold with no problem. A fake title would be no big deal, especially from another state. Hopefully, they can work something out with the insurance company.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Your coverage during the 30 day period is, I believe, only for the same coverage as for your most extensive coverage carried on any other car under that same policy.

That would mean that if you had theft coverage by virtue of "other than collision" coverage, sometimes referred to as Option D (this depends what state and what policy you have, of course) that same coverage may extend to your new car for 30 days.

But, if you do not have "other than collision" or Coverage D, which includes theft, you may be without coverage and that's what may have happened here.

In all cases, the coverage you have is what your policy says. To be covered for theft, you must carry theft insurance.

And remember: there may be no hard rules from one state to another.

More uniform rules will have to await the President's new mandatory national auto insurance policy legislation. That legislation will, of course, contain an extra wealth tax on those elitists who choose all the lavish frivolity that goes with owning foreign sports cars.

G

Buy a junk TR3, swap the id plates,and presto change-o.Part it or maybe paint it. Store it till the heat cools down and sell it. Lots of states dont require a title on 10 years or older. Just a bill of sale. Old car id is not like the new ones. Do you think most of the people at DMV really care? Always know the weird quirky things about your car,right down to imperfections. These things might help you recover it someday.The lucky thing is the abundance of good pics on this car.No insurance? Dumb. Was the trailer unhooked and just sitting in a parking lot? No chains through the wheels?Lots of strange questions. What ever happened to the pile of TRs in Minn. with the early TR2 that was said to be stolen on the forum?Just things popping into my head.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This has happened way too many times.
I wonder why they wouldn't put a GPS on
the trailer/car?

- Doug