• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Source for Hardware

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
During my BE restoration I've obtained new hardware (nuts, bolts, screws, etc.) from various sources. Victoria British's diagrams usually include the hardware for sale, and for ease I've often ordered it from them. I've run to Lowe's and Ace Hardware for a fair amount, but their selection is pretty limited for the fine threads usually needed. I've ordered some stainless bolts online for use under the bonnet.
Overall though, it seems that there should be a simple source for the hardware, and it would also be nice to have a simple resource listing the nuts and bolts used at each location.
What have others done?
Fred

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I get most everything from McMaster-Carr. They have a huge selection of a wide variety of things. Grainger is also a good source, but in both cases, you have to buy in bulk. (25 to 100) usually. I'm sure there are many others out there too.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
I feel your pain Fred. I've wasted a ton of time recently looking for 3/8 & 7/16" fine thread bolts locally. (refurbing my rear suspension)... Time is money.:(

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Didn't this board have a vendor who was selling car "kits" of nuts and bolts. In th UK though so I suspect shipping was brutal.

nomad

Yoda
I know your plight. We used to have a local bolt company that you could get anything from. I even sourced a shoulder bolt for a clutch pivot from them. Now they have gone wholesale only and buy in volume. No longer even friendly when I tried to order on a friends account.

Kurt.

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
Did you ever try Sears Hardware? You can buy ONE screw, o rone bolt or nut if you like. I have been there to match parts successfully as it is basically a wall of nute, bolts, screws, washers, etc. You pick what you like and how many and bag them. yes, can you believe I actually went to the store and spent $0.12 in this day and age?? lol

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Check out the Bolt Depot. I bought just about all my hardware from them - stainless and other. You can buy any quantity and their service is very quick. https://www.boltdepot.com/ Very pleased with them and NFI.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My wish would be to find a store carrying the normal bolts and nuts in an anodized form.... Like most Japanese car bolts... I have heard of the process by homemade electrolosis (sp) but that's messy. The OEM bolts anodized with zinc or whatever..

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
McMaster-Carr, buy them by the box. Just about anything you want is there. Cadmium Plated, Stainless, Grade 5, 8, Zinc Coated. Grainger probably has as well.

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Most metropolitan areas will have at least one bolt warehouse (except in Kurt's case) that should be able to supply you with anything you need. A quick Google search for -bolts Tulsa OK- turned up several in the Tulsa area. I find that the locally owned shops are easier to work with and usually have a car guy or two in sales or on the warehouse floor that would be interested in what you are doing. At least that was the case when I worked for a both house here in Seattle in another life.

Failing that, or in more rural areas larger Napa’s carry a full selections on fine thread hardware, as well Places like farm coops may be a good source also.

And as other have said McMaster Carr and Grainger are good for a mail order source.

Here is link to a list of British Leyland fasteners. It won’t tell you what was used where, but it may be usful for size and plating info.
https://www.justbrits.com/Articles/BMC_fasteners.pdf

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
According to Frank C. this list gets you the majority of what you need.

10-32 pan head 5/8" long
1/4 x 28 x 3/4" hex
5/16 x 24 x 1" hex
3/8 x 24 x 1.25" hex
SAE flat washers, split washers, and nuts for the above
Grade 5 is what was original.

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
great replies, thanks!

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ok so here is a typical issue:
I'd like to replace the screws attaching the door hinge to the A pillar. 3 for each hinge, pan head. They are special in that the end of the screw is tapered or pointed to make engaging the holes of the shifting back-nut plate easier. I don't see this style available on McMaster Carr or elsewhere.

Last edited:

PHerder

Jedi Hopeful

I got one of their kits. Missing a LOT of the bolts needed. I.e. supplied 4 front shock bolts, needed 6. I have bolts that I cannot figure out what they are supposed to replace (Allen head) that I suppose were to be used on the blanking plate and the pedal assembly but they were too short. As I go through the reassembly of my 66, I find more and more items I need that they didn't include. I didn't count the number of items supplied but I doubt that if there was 1500, I probably can't use 500+ of them. I got the assembly when they had a sale AND had a coupon code for a bigger discount but still it wasn't work the $$ spent.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Fred,

Those are not Phillips but PosiDrive Screws. If you try to remove with a Phillips you'll trash the heads. You need an Impact Screwdriver wit ha PosiDrive Bit and they will come right out. I was able to find the correct pan type head, length, pitch,and screw size in an Allen Head Bolt at my local True Value Store. Yes not correct but I'm sure I can remove this one later on. Again not Concours but works.

aseriesspares

I got one of their kits. Missing a LOT of the bolts needed. I.e. supplied 4 front shock bolts, needed 6. I have bolts that I cannot figure out what they are supposed to replace (Allen head) that I suppose were to be used on the blanking plate and the pedal assembly but they were too short. As I go through the reassembly of my 66, I find more and more items I need that they didn't include. I didn't count the number of items supplied but I doubt that if there was 1500, I probably can't use 500+ of them. I got the assembly when they had a sale AND had a coupon code for a bigger discount but still it wasn't work the $$ spent.

Hi,

I am very sorry to hear that you have had issues with the kit. The Midget / Sprite sets are one of our most popular world wide, we have made slight revisions since you purchased you kit but with your complaints listed above i begin to wonder if perhaps there was a box missing or if the incorrect set was sent out to you as we have not had anyone feel this way before. We have had a couple of people get in touch requesting more of certain items which turned out to be variations through the year which we happily supplied, so these are now included in the set. The idea of the set is to give you a great workshop tool with more than you need of the sizes required.

There are some parts that we have not yet had manufactured and these listed in the product page at the bottom but other than those exceptions the set is complete so i would like to look at way to assist you. We are a small, friendly team and are trying to turn out the best sets we can working with archive folders and cross referencing with the vehicles when we get them in our own workshops, so the sets are very complete when we retail them.

I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully rectifying the issues you have experienced.

Many thanks,

Rob

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If there is a farm supply store nearby try there. They sell nuts, bolts, and washers by the pound and have a huge variety. When we did the tranny swop a few years back we headed to one near Portland to get 3/8 X 5 inch NF bolts. No problem.