• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best source for new tappets?

Steve P.

Jedi Hopeful
Finally getting back to the BN4 I started a very long time ago. I rebuilt the engine but the original
tappets were pitted so I'm looking for the best source for new ones. At one time some suppliers had a
problem with tappets made out of metal that was too soft which destroyed the cam long
before its time. I'd really like to avoid that! Any advice on which to get or which to avoid
would be appreciated. TIA
Steve

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Finally getting back to the BN4 I started a very long time ago. I rebuilt the engine but the original
tappets were pitted so I'm looking for the best source for new ones. At one time some suppliers had a
problem with tappets made out of metal that was too soft which destroyed the cam long
before its time. I'd really like to avoid that! Any advice on which to get or which to avoid
would be appreciated. TIA
Steve
I sent my cam and lifters to Elgin Cams in CA and they were redone and checked for correct hardness. 6 of my lifters looked in bad shape but Dema was able to save them. He also checks lifters for correct hardness, etc., sent to MOSS before they are sold.

RA_Healey

Denis Weich or AH Spares. I then had mine frozen along with the cam. I also went with the bucket type and had new push rods made.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
For new lifters, I suggest British Parts Northwest, here in Oregon. Their prices are very reasonable. If you buy them from DW or AH Spares then you will be paying full retail plus air freight from England. It all comes from the same source. If you want better oiling to your cam lobes, simply grind a small flat onto the side of the tappets. This is what DW does and then charges you a hefty fee for these "competition tappets".
I suggest MGC bucket lifters. They are about 1/3rd the price of the Healey pedestal lifters and have a small hole that allows oil to drain out and onto the cam lobes. Smith Brothers Pushrods in Bend, Oregon can make you up a set of tubular pushrods at a very reasonable price and they already know the size of the tips for the MGC lifters (it's different than the Healey lifters). New pushrods and MGC lifters will cost you less than a set of pedestal lifters. British Parts Northwest also has the MGC bucket lifters. This is what the real racers use.

Country flag
For new lifters, I suggest British Parts Northwest, here in Oregon. Their prices are very reasonable. If you buy them from DW or AH Spares then you will be paying full retail plus air freight from England. It all comes from the same source. If you want better oiling to your cam lobes, simply grind a small flat onto the side of the tappets. This is what DW does and then charges you a hefty fee for these "competition tappets".
I suggest MGC bucket lifters. They are about 1/3rd the price of the Healey pedestal lifters and have a small hole that allows oil to drain out and onto the cam lobes. Smith Brothers Pushrods in Bend, Oregon can make you up a set of tubular pushrods at a very reasonable price and they already know the size of the tips for the MGC lifters (it's different than the Healey lifters). New pushrods and MGC lifters will cost you less than a set of pedestal lifters. British Parts Northwest also has the MGC bucket lifters. This is what the real racers use.
I have to agree with this; from a stability/longevity standpoint, you're placing the pivot point of the pushrod fractions of an inch (probably less than 1/4") above the lobe, instead of over two inches (>2") above it. Wear on the side of the lifters and the bores themselves is reduced, as is the operating friction and heat.

The MGB engine switched from pedestal to bucket lifter design at the 18V engine designation (GA/GB/GF, etc, engines with pedestal types) and thereafter all the MGB engines I built__maybe seventy-five (75?) of them__I would use the bucket lifters in. It's also a substantial reduction in valve train reciprocating mass.

There's nothing but an upside to the swap, and being able to get MGC lifters makes it doable; I'd follow Richard's recommendation for the pushrods.

RAC68

Darth Vader
This is why I really like reading these posts. You learn from very experienced people who are willing to share their knowledge...and they have a lot.

Thanks guys, I am not doing this job now but (hopefully) I will live long enough to need to.

All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

RA_Healey

I picked up a few sets of bucket lifters when we were over a Welch,s facility a few years ago. We used Smith Brothers push rods. Agree they are the source to use. Real racers use a roller cam and lifters

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Richard the MGC bucket lifters from BPNW are only a dollar cheaper than the original healey style. What am I missing?

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Maybe my memory is going bad. I seem to recall that the Healey lifters were quite a bit more expensive. But, you're right..... BPNW prices are $6.42 vs $7.60. Doesn't really matter though. MGC bucket lifters are a superior design in many ways.... and they're still less expensive!