• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New frame candidate or parts source?

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Someone recently suggested that I finish the other Healey projects first, but this one followed me home.:joyous: It's a Longbridge 100-6 with the original engine and lots of other good parts, many of them already off the car.

After pulling the engine and transmission and removing covers/pans, both look promising.

Maybe it's time to look into sourcing a new frame? Or just consider it as parts? I'm sure that the parts suppliers would vote for restoration.

IMG_4935.jpgIMG_4908.jpgIMG_5034.jpg

Last edited:

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Since the Longbridge 100-6 was never considered the "high water mark" for Healeys , I'd be hesitant to restore it. That and the door fit looks like it could be a bit off.

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I didn't know BHCC had a Canadian store.

It's amazing what some folks have brought back to life, and certainly most are worth saving, but I agree with the previous post. However, I am the poster child for bad decisions when it comes to cars! Your name says to me that you are probably an optimist as well. The parts are certainly worthwhile. GL, Jim

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I enjoyed those ideas. I had not really noticed, but the door gaps are off a bit. And this may fit well in the BHCC showroom; lucky that this one got away from them.

Another thought: with the frame shorter on the left side than the right side, it might make a good circle track race car. No intent to disrespect a once beautiful car; and it may be beautiful again. I am a sucker for these cars, and I can visualize it in its original ivory white glory. Kilmartin or Jules for the new frame?

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had Martin Jensen do mine (Jule). He did all the body metal work, skim coated and fitted the body parts. Not free but very worth it.
Dale

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The engine looks surprisingly good inside, at least superficially. At least it's not all rusted up. The camshaft seems to show a bit of wear, and I have no idea as to the condition of the valves, pistons, rings, bearings, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_5064.jpg
    IMG_5064.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5065.jpg
    IMG_5065.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5096.jpg
    IMG_5096.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5097.jpg
    IMG_5097.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5118.jpg
    IMG_5118.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5123.jpg
    IMG_5123.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5124.jpg
    IMG_5124.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 88

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Reminds me of the saying that "Even if you got it for free, it's going to cost you more than it's worth to fix it." Unless, of course, you have full capabilities for welding and painting, and you value your own time at $0/hour. ;)

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Reminds me of the saying that "Even if you got it for free, it's going to cost you more than it's worth to fix it." Unless, of course, you have full capabilities for welding and painting, and you value your own time at $0/hour. ;)

Absolutely true, PH. The two current active Healey projects (another Longbridge BN4 and the BJ7) remind me of that every day, but they are coming along well. It's the final body work and painting that I like the least; the rest - the welding and mechanical and assembly - I like. One has to enjoy this to do it, and it beats doing other things that come to mind that can get one in a lot of trouble.

At least at the end of a Healey project, one has something beautiful that also likely is worth the expenditure, if one does not count one's time. Still not sure about whether to restore this white one or not. I also have a third Longbridge in similar condition that has been tempting me; it was a Primrose Yellow car and she must have been really pretty when she was young.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Not sure I'd be up for that challenge. Guess it's a question of whether you're a glass half full kind of guy. If you love saving all the sad, wet, puppy dogs that scratch at your front door, this is your baby. If you're an Ebenezer Scrooge kind of guy that crunches all the numbers, you'll slam the door in that little dog's face. Trying to figure out if it is finacially "worth it" isn't as easy as a few years ago when we all thought Healey prices would continue to the stratospere. Now, it looks like there's not as big an upside as we thought. Don't think this is the one I'd try to make a few bucks (loonies?) on.

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Not sure I'd be up for that challenge. Guess it's a question of whether you're a glass half full kind of guy. If you love saving all the sad, wet, puppy dogs that scratch at your front door, this is your baby. If you're an Ebenezer Scrooge kind of guy that crunches all the numbers, you'll slam the door in that little dog's face. Trying to figure out if it is finacially "worth it" isn't as easy as a few years ago when we all thought Healey prices would continue to the stratospere. Now, it looks like there's not as big an upside as we thought. Don't think this is the one I'd try to make a few bucks (loonies?) on.

Rick, why did you have to equate this to sad, wet, puppy dogs??! Now I want to fix it up!

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Agreed, bad investment. My garage sure is quiet and peaceful though. My granddaughter helped me trace out and label every wire on the entire car. Sweetest two hours ever spent. My little brother the EE spent over 8 hours with me designing a wiring system that looks original but has 9 fuses. That's more time than we've spent together in over 25 years and we both absolutely loved working out the puzzle. These restoration aren't done for money. BTW I don't work for free. No sir, 50 cents per hour is my rate.

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
RestoreThemAll - Great handle there. We seem to share the same philosophy when it comes to restoring Healeys. 50 cents an hour would be nice, but who really cares when you're having fun.

Just spent the morning sorting wiring on the BJ7 project. Whoever (not me) began installing the new harness had both of the smaller gauge brown with blue wires connected to the same terminal on the light switch and had run the heavier gauge brown with blue wire to the ignition switch. After swapping two of the wires, with the heavier one now connected to the light switch terminal along with one of the lighter wires, the lights now work. Now for straightening out the rest of the harness issues.