• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR So many parts

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So here is my new dilemma, I am losing track of parts I have ordered and trying to keep track of them. Also I find that some of the parts like, complete fender assembly, parts come packaged and are cheaper.
What are you using to be able to keep it all in order? I started by marking individual boxes with numbers and a brief list of what is in them but I suck at excel. I would like to have a master list of old refurbished parts, still needing to be refurbished, need to find items, new items on hand( already purchased). So tell me what you did so I can get my list organized!!

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well, a little late for this, but when I disassemble I make a note in a journal of what needs to be refurbished or purchased new.

When I order a parts, I put a check mark beside the listed item so that I know that I ordered it. Its not foolproof, I have two seal kits somehow :smile:

Not TR3 related, but I found that when doing my TR6 restoration, I used the Glovebox companion as my check list. I simply highlited what I had purchased even if it was from another Vendor. Perhaps this is something you could do with the new TR2/3 Glovebox Companion?

Cheers
Tush

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a master list of all the parts that I needed and check off when I order it. Then when it is received I am using plastic boxes with lids about the size of a shoe box to segregate like items. I also have four larger plastic bins that are also segregated like items such as interior, engine, exterior and so on. Each of the boxes is labeled with the general category of that type of item such as dash or windshield. So if I am ready to work on a specific part of the car I can pull the appropriate plastic bins and they are ready to go. The bins are all stacked together in a shelving unit with the labels facing out .
Charley

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
JP, be thankful you don't have 5 different TR's....:smile:

Cheers
Tush

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
JP,

As others, I have a "master parts list" in Excel to keep track of what I need and what I have ordered. Over time, I forget what has been ordered, so the sheet becomes invaluable!

To keep the parts organized, I bought a bunch of "banker's boxes" at office depot, like these: https://www.bankersbox.com/us/en/Pr...RAGE-BOXES&tercat=RS_STORAGE_BOXES_BASIC_DUTY

I use one (or more) box for each subsystem - e.g. electrical bits, engine bits, wipers, etc. Sometimes the boxes are fairly empty, sometimes I need several boxes for one system. Each box is labeled on one side with its subsystem and major components inside. When new components arrive, I put the new bits in with the old bits in the same box, or make a new box if they don't fit, or if I don't want the old bits instilling bad habits on the new bits... ha, ha.

All the boxes are the same size, so it is easy to stack and scan the pile for contents. Bankers boxes are not taped shut, and therefore easy to open/close many times. The handles punched into the side makes it easy to slide one box out of the pile. And the boxes are strong enough to hold heavy things, e.g. generators and starters, and also to stack (within reason).

Obviously there are a few big things that do not fit - bumpers, carpets, seats, window regulators, etc., and these get stacked on dedicated shelving from my local Home Depot.

Honestly, if you can clear out a dedicated room in the basement to store parts, that is the dream... I managed to clear out three areas in three rooms!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I used to kind of chuckle at these stories and say to myself "how could you not remember what you ordered". Then I started on my first well financed all at once (rather than an engine rebuild one year, drive for a while, paint a couple years later, etc.) restoration of my TR250. Since it needed most everything my basic plan of action was to buy things as they went on sale. Over the course of a couple years TRF cycles through pretty much the whole catalog. I bought from other vendors as well. In the end I did have multiples of some parts, especially when I bought hardware and seal kits. Yes keeping a list or marking it off in a catalog is the way to go.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
if any of you find you have any extra TR8 parts...
send em my way

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. I think I will have to redo my list to get a handle on the parts. I currently do not have a computer so pen and paper it is.
The worst part is I have done the measurements and a 4 post lift will not fit. The smallest one made still cannot leave me enough room to maneuver past my bench. I hope some manufacture will see the need for a smaller design for cars such as ours.....but until that day I am stuck. Knocked out a few honey dos while the family was away so I can get back to renovation items.
Still love my new space if I only had 2 more feet.....