• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How many people retain their original generator?

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee
I had read all the postings on the alternator conversions, but I thought I am only going to use my Bugeye occasionally on nice days, and don't plan on upgrading the lighting or adding a fancy radio. So, is adding an alternator really worth it, other than just to upgrage to more modern equipment? Plus, if I keep the original generator, I can retain the original speedo drive and not have to fiddle with modifying that. Jim

Country flag
For a fair weather fun car a generator should be just fine. I wouldn't switch it.

nomad

Yoda
3 spridgets all running the original gen without problem. Don't overtighten the drive belt. Just tight enough to not slip.

Kurt.

RickB

Yoda
Generator, positive ground, MK2 Sprite.
It's enough for a fair weather car, you won't be running halogen headlights though...
Better not to drive after dark, or in the rain.
Otherwise it's great!

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Generator here. I like to drive at night and I have no fear. I see the appeal of the alternator, but I don't see a real need.

On the other hand: it would be nice to have one of those tiny little tractor alts: shed a few pounds up front, have a radio, a power port for GPS, do away with the tac-drive gearbox and have enough driving light to see the Moose before...

Then again: that would be the conversion of quirky to practical and for my tastes there's already too much practicality all around me. I like the quirk.

Close one, but I'm sticking with the Generator.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Dynamo here too (with original positive ground and tach drive)... works fine. It's a fair-weather car though.

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I average 3000 miles a season on my 67 & I have no issues with genny, lights were bright enough for people drive at night & in the rain in 1967, so it's bright enough for me in 2012 !

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
MKIII 1965, origional positive ground, I have replaced the brushes, very easy task and I run halogen lights that I think are blinding.

Mark

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wave, another original generator here on Miss Agatha.

OP
J

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for your replies. I think I will keep my generator, but have another question: I read on one MG board that it is pretty easy to shift over to negative ground by reversing the battery and re-polarizing the generator. Sounds pretty simple. Anyone have any experience with this?

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Speaking of generators...I have a NOS one w/ tach drive for sale. Also have a nice re-built starter for sale.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I see a couple of good reasons to go to an alternator, which may or may not apply to you. First, more current, which is necessary if you add more electrical stuff. The generator is marginal, at best, and adding more stuff means that the generator might not be adequate. Second, it will keep the battery at a higher voltage and thus increase battery life. The standard charge voltage with the original regulator can lead to early sulfation. Third, it's more efficient, so it will load the engine less. This is important only if you add lots of extra electrical things.

The greatest downside is if the tach runs off the generator--you lose it, and have to do something about that.

I added an alternator to my bugeye, and I was really happy with it. I could turn on all the electrical stuff at once, even at idle, and the battery didn't discharge. It was just a 55 amp alternator.

61frogeye

Jedi Trainee
I have the original generator in my BE and I run with the headlights always on, I don't have any added electrical stuff though. I haven't trickle-charged the battery all summer and I have had no problems (knock wood).

reddsprite

I have a stock generator on my car and it is only used during warm sunny days-when it is not being used I keep it on a battery trickle charger and I have never had any battery problems at all. Seems to start easily and does ok,even on hot summer days. I use a dry cell battery and its always on the high end of voltage when I check it after running around cruising,going to club events,etc.
It is a simple VB generator and it works great. If it works,don't fix it

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have the stocker, rebuilt with new regulator, and I'm selling the setup to go with an alternator I'd like some brighter lights and a stereo in the car, so I'll be changing it as soon as I find a buyer.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Running the original gen. On my first start up, the gen. gearbox seized up, and it was thrown across the garage. Major heart ache. Lucky I was on the carb side of the car.
I replaced the std. contol box with an electronic one. No problems so far.
Scott in CA

Attachments

• 29572.jpg
    29572.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 115