• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Rusted out valences

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Evidently, my DPO thought fiberglassing over rusty seams was an acceptable fix. Well, it's not to me. The area where the valences (Moss 857-190 & 195.. what I would also call "front inner fender") meet the tub is gone on both sides.

Valences are a thousand apiece, so I need to repair, and they need to come off to accomplish that. Question: how are the valences attached to tub? They seem to be welded on and covered with some **** hard seam sealer. Hopefully just the latter?

the first photo is top looking down... it's where the master cylinders and wiper motor are. The second is under the fender looking in.

thanks-- Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 96

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
They are, indeed, welded on, but the sealer is not factory. The inner wings are seam welded for the entire length of the joint.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Somebody is selling a shot body tube on eBay, but that spot might be good on it. How is the rest of the car? If it is only there you could cut it with a cut off wheel and stich or plug weld a whole section in, but that looks challenging.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Rust under the master cylinders is not uncommon and can be fairly easily repaired. The rust at the ends of inner wings (valances) is not. Unfortunately it is not easily repaired either. While it is possible to replace the rear section of the wings it will be quite difficult to get it to look good. The original welds along that joint are lovely oxy-acetylene examples, difficult to reproduce, as are the compound curves of the inner wing ends. When you look at an original seam, what you see is the weld; no seam sealer, no filler. (Of course, If you don't mind the look, stitch welds will do.)
I don't know what your skill level is but unless it is well beyond intermediate, I'd discourage you from taking on the project, even with new parts.
As sp53 said, decent body tubs are available and with the usual rotten floors and sills but decent inner wings, often affordable.
Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Actually, I have a front portion of a tub in which that area is good. The inner wings would need to be stripped and worked, but that would be easier than attempting a repair on yours. I was planning to trash it...so it's yours free if you can figure out a way to get it!?!

OP
Jim_Stevens

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Actually, I have a front portion of a tub in which that area is good. The inner wings would need to be stripped and worked, but that would be easier than attempting a repair on yours. I was planning to trash it...so it's yours free if you can figure out a way to get it!?!

Thanks guys--John in particular for the offer. I'll leave that repair to an experienced body restorer. Jim