• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rubber bumpers on my '70.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I know a lot have done conversions from RB to CB, but I'm seriously considering putting RBs on my '70.
Threads about the cost of chrome and re-chroming, added to the 'NLA' of split rear bumpers. Though mostly because it is intended as a daily, and therefore subject to daily abuses, door dings, shopping carts, rock chips, bird muck and the cell phone using, starbucks swigging, make-up applying, DVD switching to keep the 5 screaming brats shut up SUV drivers, last but not (certainly not) least...my wife navigating an Envoy in our garage.
Anyway, I know nothing about RBs; can this even be done 'the other way around'.
Suggestions, thoughts, abuse or ridicule is always appreciated.
Thanks!

Steve_S

Yoda
I've seen it done once. Honestly the only good thing rubber bumpers will do for you is protect the car better in a traffic collision. The down side is that you will be adding weight in the worst place possible, and the value of your car will be significantly lowered since very few people would be interested in an earlier car converted to rubber bumpers.

I suppose it might be worth the effort if you get hit by other cars a lot, but otherwise I would spend your time and money on something else.

RickB

Yoda
Put the money you would have spent in a box marked "dent removal & paint fund" & keep it there.

I don't know if you have ever transitioned from RB to the same car with no bumpers or with chrome but it's really not the same car any more the way it drives. You know I speak from recent experience. Add in the FUGLY factor and it could/might well kill your love for the car, and nobody wants to see that!

All IMHO of course, your mileage may vary (YMMV).

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Steve_S said:
otherwise I would spend your time and money on something else.
And there's plenty on the list (carpet, Peco exhaust & header) that should come first, and the everpresent lack of both time & money. Right about that.
The car cost me nothing, so as far as losing value goes, the other non-original items have taken care of what it would have. In fact, the only thing is good nick that may be worth something, are the CBs, be a shame to knacker them up.
As always Jeff, your honesty and subtlety is welcomed!

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Barry I'd advise against it. To do a conversion to RBs would be a hassle, and you would have to get rid of the castle sections at the back beneath the rear lights. Cars with RBs have a different setup on the bodyshell.

Plus, what Jeff said /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

RickB

Yoda
Wait a minute, I'm taking the wrong approach here...

Yeah, and send those chrome bumpers and the parts you cut off under the tail lights directly to me! I'll trade you for my rubber bumpers. Of course I'll pay shipping for the stuff you send me and you pay shipping for the stuff I send you! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

RickB

Yoda
Dang - you're talking about your B & I'm talking about my Midget. Dang!

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Heh, How about you send me your CGT, and I'll send you a midget and a BGT......
Steve, thanks, a structural limitation is what I was looking for. It's a no go.
OK chaps, you can open up with the unfettered ridicule now. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Barry, wotinell were you thinking?? Why not just bolt some Armco around the whole car? It would probably work better, cost less, weigh less, and would definitely <u>look</u> a lot better!
How am I doing so far? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif
Jeff

Baz said:
Suggestions, thoughts, abuse or ridicule is always appreciated.
Thanks!

Personally, I think the rubber bumpers fit rather well on the GT..and looks better than those on the tourer..although I would also advise against this "futuro-grade" (opposite of retro-grade). I have a buddy with a parts B/GT that has had a r/b installed on the front, retaining the c/b on the rear. Looks rather odd.

Here's my 1974-1/2 GT...

Attachments

• 5866-IngramMGBGTV83_resize.jpg
    5866-IngramMGBGTV83_resize.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 5867-IngramMGBGTV86_resize.jpg
    5867-IngramMGBGTV86_resize.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 5868-GTtoSouthpark5.jpg
    5868-GTtoSouthpark5.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 83
OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
That doesn't look too terrible at all Rick, thanks for the pics. The minilites help the overall look, but the bumpers look like the late 70's GTs in the UK.
Those are what I remember most.
Anyway, advice taken.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
sign0138.gif
Putting rubber bumpers on an early car entails a lot more work than the average person might think. The mounting system is entirely different. The front frame horns have to be modified by welding on backing plates to bolt the front bumper to. Not an easy task with reinforcing and all. On the rear, thick plates have to be welded on to except the rear bumper bolts. In my opinion, you'll totally destroy the car for future restoration. The only person who would want the car after this operation was preformed would be someone who wanted to cut it up for parts. If you want a rubber bumper car that bad, sell the one you have to someone who will appreciate it and go buy a rubber bumper model. There's plenty of them out there and some are fairly cheap. JMHO. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm glad I missed the entire process/progression of this blasphemous thread. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
With reference to the MGC-GT thoughts--
Of course everyone knows that Dave (Grantura Mk1) has a project MGC-GT for sale in Fallbrook (SanDiego) for a pretty good price (under 5k)
Bill

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Split rears. Keeper.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Billm said:
With reference to the MGC-GT thoughts--
Of course everyone knows that Dave (Grantura Mk1) has a project MGC-GT for sale in Fallbrook (SanDiego) for a pretty good price (under 5k)
Bill

I'd love to have it...but $1200 shipping would kill the deal for me

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Baz,

I probably should not weigh in on this since I have a particular bias for the chrome bumpered MGs. I have never owned an MG that was newer than 1966...but...

Putting rubber bumpers on your '70 MG is certainly your choice, your car.

However, many of us do prefer the classic lines and the shiney persona that is offered by the early chrome bumpered MGs and yours is a later model example thereof. The split rear chrome bumper was a very nice, albeit breif, addition to the classic lines.

By the time you have paid for (time, effort, dollars (or Pounds as the case may be))(not factoring in the decrease in re-sale value): the cost of the rechroming will likely be small in comparison.

IMHO, if it were me...I would leave the car the way it came... Just don't run into anything... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif