• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rimmer Bros

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
Can someone please tell me about ordering stuff from Rimmer Bros. Are they reliable? How was their delivery time. They have a few parts that I haven't been able to find anywhere else and am considering ordering from them but I am a little learhy because they are in England. Thanks

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I've spent a ton of money with TRF, a fair amount with Moss, small amount with VickyBrit, but nothing with them. I guess I just never thought about them, since the others all send me catalogs and emails with specials.

G

Excellant service, have what they say they have in stock, fun to talk to ('spensive but love that accent). Good people.

Bill

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Rimmers has been around a long time and is well respected. They basically offer a good selection of original or stock items and a more limited selection of accessories and upgrades. I really like that they use the original parts numbers for most items (hint for Moss and Vicky Brit, not that they'll change their game plan!). Rimmer's website is quite good.

However, I've never had to order from them because I've always been able to find what I need on this side of the pond. I never get very excited about ordering from England because there are high shipping costs and import duties on top of it. I prefer to purchase the hard-to-find stuff that's "only" available in England through someone like Ken Gillanders (www.britishframeandengine.com) because he batches shipping and pays import duties based upon wholesale prices. It can be a significant savings.

Someone recently posted here about some bad experiences with a Rimmer Bros. order. You might want to search the archives. It sounds like the exception, rather than the rule... but who knows?

Oh, and Rimmer Bros. always reminds me of "Red Dwarf", or is it the other way around? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and Rimmer Bros. always reminds me of "Red Dwarf", or is it the other way around? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Me too!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I have no personal experience with them, but I know many folks who have. Catalogs and web site are very good. Shipping to US is often extremely expensive, and it can be a bit of a chore to explain why you don't feel like paying $50 shipping for a $4 part. On the other hand, they occasionally offer free shipping deals in conjunction with sales and/or appearances at major US club shows and events. I have also heard that quality is "iffy" on certain items and/or part you ordered may be appropriate for a home market car but not necessarily for a US-spec. car.

In short, I think that ultimately they're much like most other suppliers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
jerrybny

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
I hate to pay the extra shipping also but RimmerBros is the only place that I have been able to find Nut(thumb,instrument retaining)-HMP290046and Strap (instrument retaining)- 620847. They are the 2 pieces that hold the tach and speedo tight against the dashboard. Maybe someone else knows a source for these? Thanks

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
I hate to pay the extra shipping also but RimmerBros is the only place that I have been able to find Nut(thumb,instrument retaining)-HMP290046and Strap (instrument retaining)- 620847. They are the 2 pieces that hold the tach and speedo tight against the dashboard. Maybe someone else knows a source for these? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

From the previous post about them, I'm not sure if Rimmer actually would have the parts, even if they are shown in stock on their website.

The Roadster Factory lists 620847 for $10.95 on their website. Of course, that's no guaranty they actually have it in stock, either.

The knurled nut, or something pretty close to it, would likely be available from www.boltdepot.com or www.fasteners.com or similar. I just Googled and found https://www.accuratescrew.com/CatalogPage.aspx?ProdCat=NUTKNRLTHM, but know nothing about the company.

Check with just about anyone breaking up Triumphs. There are lots of folks on eBay who buy wrecks and sell them off for parts, or search the Internet for parts suppliers.

For used parts there are several sources, but Wayne at Triumphs Only (www.triumphsonly.com) comes to mind first. If used parts are okay w/you, it would be a good idea to shop around for the best price/shipping.

Or, I'd guess it would be easy to make a retaining strap and probably even easier find an alternative such as a wingnut that would do the job... at least temporarily.

OP
jerrybny

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
Thanks Alan. Now if I knew what size the stud on the Tach is I would be able to find a nut that might work. Anyone have any idea??

Bugeye58

Yoda
I ordered the new front bumper, overriders, and front valance for my GT6 from Rimmer Bros., and I think I got it quicker than I would have had I ordered it from one of the domestics. But, no one here had it in stock. I didn't think the shipping charges to be all that bad, and I wanted to get the thing before the part went missing again. I had gotten two of the valances from one of the US distributors, and they were both the wrong part. At least Rimmers sent me the right one.
Jeff

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Now if I knew what size the stud on the Tach is I would be able to find a nut that might work. Anyone have any idea??

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jerry,

I hope someone can help. If I had the tach here, I could measure it for you. Even my TR4's original tach is packed away in storage since the car will be getting a set of AutoMeter Phantom white-faced gauges, so I can't check that. Not sure TR4 uses the same size/thread stud there, anyway.

Take the tach or speedo with you to a hardware store that has a good stock of loose nuts & bolts, try them on until you find one that fits.

Alternatively, many hardware stores sell thread gauges, which are handy to have in a tool box. There are two types. One is simply a plate that's been tapped with all the different sizes and thread pitches. Another is actually a thread pitch gauge and looks sort of like a feeler gauge with a bunch of tiny saw-like blades. Those are used to measure the threads-per-inch to determine if it's NF, NC or something else. Of course, there are metric and SAE in both. I'd guess the stud in question is SAE, although some metric threads were beginning to appear here and there on later TR6.

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Rimmer Bros. has an excellent TR7/8 catalogue. I have purchased numerous items from them including stainless steel headers and exhaust system and complete linterior kit wilth leather seats and have been very pleased with both quality and service. I found them easy to communicate with via email to get the kit contents I wanted. I received free shipping for my exhaust system and a 20% discount on the interior kit by by ordering during their special offers after Christmas.

tomshobby

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
The tach stud looks to be about a 8-36. If it is, its not to common.

[/ QUOTE ]

For fasterer hardware, nuts, bolts, etc, try Fastenal. They have stores all over it seems and you can order on their internet site. If you cannot get it from them it probably is not made. www.fastenal.com

I use them for one of my company's vendors and am completely happy with them.

MacSpit

Freshman Member
i'll have to try fasenal... i went to Rimmer for drive flange bolts, cuz i wanted to be sure i was getting the right spec. i have to say i was concerned to the point of calling them 3 weeks later as i did not receive ANY confirmation of the order until i saw it on my AMEX bill! i did get them, albeit 4 weeks later!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Believe it or not, Lowes has a pretty good selection of fateners that are well organized in pull out drawers.

MrPandy

My Rimmer story, which I detailed in an earlier post:
I ordered a part from them that I couldn't find anywhere else and a few other things to make it worthwhile. I received no order confirmation or any correspondence. The part showed up on eBay for the first time in months, but I didn't bid since I had ordered one.

Three to four weeks later, my order arrives - all but the important part. A little note on the enclosed statement said "Part xxx not in stock - sorry". Yeah, thanks a lot!

Happy ending - I'm getting the part thanks to BCF'er swift6, who had one and generously volunteered to send it to me.

If I ever decide to try Rimmer again, I will email them and require confirmation that the part is stocked and verify the shipping rates before I give my credit card number.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
The tach stud looks to be about a 8-36. If it is, its not to common.

[/ QUOTE ]

8-36 is the standard NF thread size. (Rarer would likely be 8-40 NS thread, while perhaps the most common is 8-32 NC thread.)

If, however, it is hard to find, a smaller #6-whatever could probably be pretty easily drilled and tapped to the larger size. Most hardware stores have taps that are 8-36. Taps are marked on the side as to what size drill needs to be used initially. Brass is pretty easily tapped and threaded.