• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone here from US ever bought from Rimmer Bros?

G

I bought some stuff from Rimmer Bros in UK on their website about 4 weeks ago and still have not got it. Just some very small parts (would fit in a small envelope)and they said that it was shipped on May 31, 2007 and still nothing. I have bought things from people in England before and received in one week. They don't seem to be too customer friendly as I had to email them 2 times before they even replied to me that my order was ever acknowledged or shipped.

It's funny because from my Ebay buying experiences, I have learned to buy small first from someone to check how they operate. If the service is bad on the small stuff, you can bet you'll be really aggravated on the more pricey items.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Rimmer Brothers has always had a good reputation..... I rather suspect that your order may have been shipped via surface mail, which usually takes about six weeks! Via air mail takes around a week or less.

Bugeye58

Yoda
I've gotten quite a bit from them and have never had any problems at all. I think the last things I got, I ordered on Thursday, and they were at my door the following Tuesday!
Jeff

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I bought a horn/turn signal assembly for my 50' Daimler from a fellow in Leeds and it took forever to get here. It seems it got held up in UK Customs for soem reason.

Basil

eschneider

Jedi Warrior
ditto.

Rimmer is one of the few brit companies I deal with that will ship postal, but it does take forever to arive by boat.

US customs has gotten really bad, too about holding things up. A larger shipment of mine was sent back to england, because the pallet was made of the wrong kind of wood (something about insects in the wood). Customs shipped the entire order back to be re-palleted, rather than just sending the pallet back.

I wouldn't fault Rimmer generally, my experience with them has been above average.

Regarding customer service, remember there are no wal-marts in England....... Also, because the US is such a litigious culture, an increasing number of british businesses are either unwilling or unable (insurance) to do business with US companies. It's hard to find suppliers who are happy to hear an american voice when they answer the phone.

Country flag
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]It seems it got held up in UK Customs for soem reason. [/QUOTE]

That sounds odd to me... Customs don't usually bother with things going out.... they're more interested in the things coming in that they get to tax. (VAT = 17.5% on top of import duty @ 10% + a customs clearance charge for the shipper) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

It kind of offsets the cheap dollar. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

OP
G

I did finally get my parts. They were shipped from Austria???? Wrong parts, 4+ weeks airmail no less, under $20 annoyance saved me from wondering weather to ever buy from Rimmer Brothers again. I'll stick to good old USA suppliers and Ebay sellers. With Vic-Brit, I got both orders within a week and even the smallest parts were perfect.
Does anyone know if the British government owns Rimmer Bros? We all know what a great job they did with British Leyland in the 70's.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Stirkle said:
Does anyone know if the British government owns Rimmer Bros? We all know what a great job they did with British Leyland in the 70's.

Ain't gonna comment, nope, not a word, silent, my lips are sealed!

Even British political comments are taboo, and rightly so! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
gentlemen, it's all relative. I know UK Jaguar parts suppliers who love to have business from USA customers, I have not yet met one who says "sorry no USA".

As to Transit time, tell them to ship by Royal Mail, takes 2 weeks by air. (very slow airplane or maybe a Zeppelyn).

I always try to get my Jaguar parts in the USA, and if no luck, to Europe I go. Spain, Argentina too. Europeans and Latin Americans speak InglΓ©s in case you haven't checked.

Pay with VISA or PAYPAL, that way you are better protected.

and why would the UK government own a Retail business? I really doubt it unless proven otherwise. The UK government doesn't even want to buy Jaguar back, which Ford is trying to sell.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Re: Anyone here from US ever bought from Rimmer Br

Stirkle, not sure what you would need to order from the UK for you spit, there are plenty of good suppliers in the US but if you really need something that has to come from the UK, I have ordered lots of stuff from Canley Classics and have been pleased with their service. Virtually everything I order comes from over some seas..

bcbennett

Hey there all,

I am currently in the UK, for the summer. There has been a Royal Mail strike, which I am sure contributed to the problem Stirkle was having. And the UK does have Wal-Mart: ASDA.

Long live free enterprise!

Vote Libertarian,

CB

OP
R

RonMacPherson

An adjunct to this line.

I received an email from one of out local Britich Car Club members.

She is trying to get people to petition the USPS. She states that they are going to stop international surface shipping(boat) so all shipping prices are going to go only one way UP!.. Dunno if this is true or not, haven't had the opportunity to explore it myself, but she is alevel headed gal, who I do think researches stuff before she passes info along.

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior

surface mail is gone as of mid May, that surface mail OUT of the USA ,

Killed many of my ebay sales as heavy things now need to go by airmail now

Beaulieu

roofman

Jedi Knight

I have had excellent luck with Rimmer brothers. With the exchange rate so out of wack it is sometimes much cheaper than dealing with the big 3.

OP
G

What country are you in? The US Dollar is at one of the lowest rates it has ever been against the British Pound.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight

stirkle...I'd have em back tracking on it...I've ordered several items over the past 3 weeks ebay UK and everything has arrived within a week of ordering even with the postal strike....got a feeling they're either setting in a postal bin somewhere..or somebodies trying to figure out what they are and why they got em!!

OP
G

I did eventually get the parts. They were not what I was looking for. The website was vague and I knew why after they came. Via Austria no less. I have since only bought from USA vendors.