• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

RHD in a LHD country: Robot Arm!

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
I am getting a 1980 mini shipped from england. I'm incredibly excited and not at all concerned about driving on the right side of the car... except for things like paying at parking lots, going through drive-throughs, etc.

I've had three suggestions on how to handle this.
1)Put the car in park and slide over or get out and walk around. I don't like this because it will just annoy the people in line behind me.

2)Go through the line BACKWARDS! This appeals to me because it's completely ridiculous and will hopefully give someone a good laugh. However, it's impractical, especially at parking lots.

3) Get one of those reachers that seniors need to pick stuff up off the ground or off the shelves. I'm all about this one... but it seems really hard to find one that extends or telescopes. The only "lazy tongs" that I've found that are still being sold are riveters and I have no need to rivet the people who I am paying.

Any suggestions? How do all of you handle this dilemma?

Thanks!
Melissa

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I had a friend 6'7" tall who drove a mini - he could reach his arms out both windows at the same time - how tall are you /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
5'8"... Well, maybe it will be small enough that I won't have to worry about it, but your friend does have a good foot on me.

Man, I think I just wanted people to tell me that I'll have to get a robotic arm...

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
Eeep! I didn't think about changing lanes on the highway... On the plus side, I don't think minis really have much in the way of blind spots.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
my buddy used to do it all the time in belfast. he would just sit in the passenger seat and his feet would still reach the pedals and he would steer with his hand on the bottom of the wheel, don't forget there is no centre console to worry about.

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
weewillie said:
he would just sit in the passenger seat and his feet would still reach the pedals and he would steer with his hand on the bottom of the wheel

Ha! That half disturbs me and half makes me want to try it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well! You certainly snuck in here quietly!

Welcome to the Forum! Take a tick and go post an intro in the New Members section?

This place is the finest internet resource you could ever run across for info and advice about LBC's. Look about and enjoy!

...oh, and this bein' the "Tools" section (tho ~I~ consider a Mini a 'tool' /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif ) p'raps posting in the Mini section or Other Cars, or even have a go at th' Pub... You ARE of legal drinking age, aren't ya? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
Ha! I didn't quite mean I thought of the mini as a tool, but rather more asking what kind of "tool" people would use to reach across their car.

And yes, sure, I'll go send a wave in at the new member's forum.

(And I'm not quite that young.)

Country flag
I've taken a couple of LHD cars accross to France, Holland and such like places where they drive on the wrong side of the road.

It wasn't much of a problem, though no drive-throughs.

Parking lots were OK, but a stretch.

It helps to take a friend... or your wife. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

The bigger problem was remebering to drive on the right, er, wrong side of the road.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
I suppose that means I'll have to get myself a wife... Not sure if my boyfriend will complain much about that... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Jus' rent one... they ain't all they're cracked up to be. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hope 'Smits isn't reading this today, Doc... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
<looks about quickly> Ya may have a point, Drew. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif